Monthly Ranger Training Logs, 2019

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Monthly Ranger Training Logs, 2019

Post by SierraStrider »

Hey, all.

I originally found this forum searching around the internet in pursuit of a dream: To emulate the run of the 3 hunters, five and forty leagues ere the fourth day has ended--135 miles, on foot, in less than four days, over rough terrain, with passable Strider kit.

I have never given up on that dream. Now, yet another year looms on the horizon--yet another chance. My kit is coming together and late February of 2020 has a crescent moon--the exact conditions of the documented run.

All that remains to be brought up to snuff is me. In that interest, I'm planning to post monthly updates on my physical training here. I invite and encourage others to do the same, if they so wish. This isn't a competition of any sort, just an incentive and motivation for those who want it. Like it or not, bragging just a bit can be helpful in keeping focused on goals. So, rangers, let the Wingfoot challenge begin!
SierraStrider

Re: Monthly Ranger Training Logs, 2019

Post by SierraStrider »

September 2019: Ran 24 miles over eight sessions. Average pace of 8 min./mile.

Mostly ran in modern exercise clothing, since I was running in town while travelling for work. Bought some minimalist zero-drop running shoes to simulate historical, heelless boots. Cardio improving markedly, may try to push from 5km to 5 miles per run.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Really awesome! Good luck with this :mrgreen:
Frodo lives!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

SierraStrider wrote:Hey, all.

I originally found this forum searching around the internet in pursuit of a dream: To emulate the run of the 3 hunters, five and forty leagues ere the fourth day has ended--135 miles, on foot, in less than four days, over rough terrain, with passable Strider kit.
I know the Orcs had a head start and all, but they had to be moving out at a high rate of giddyup too. But they were no match for the Rohirrim! Great challenge, But some injuries and an aversion to running prevent me from accepting.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

It's just the aversion to running that prevents me from accepting, I'm very fast over short distances :mrgreen:

seriously though, I admire anyone who is even thinking about attempting this :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Only 13 miles in October--on foot, at least. In my defense, I did a LOT of cycling, and even beat some records for segments in my area. I did also beat my personal record for a 5k at the end of the month--23:25. Not amazing, but not pitiful, either.