Which tunic?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Aravir
Dúnadan

Which tunic?

Post by Aravir »

Here’s a link for a suede tunic I’ve been eyeballing for some time from Medieval Collectibles.

Is there a better option that I should be looking at? I don’t want to order and be disappointed. Trying to make sure I’m getting my kit together the right way the first time

https://www.medievalcollectibles.com/pr ... ede-tunic/
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Which tunic?

Post by Ghostsoldier »

That's the one I have for my kit upgrade, and I can't say enough good things about it; it's really comfortable and is made of heavyweight leather (I chose the brown version). I even ordered the lace-on sleeve extensions for it, so I could have that option.

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

It looks like a solidly built piece of gear, and looks quite nice with the rest of your kit, Rob!

That said, I don’t know that it’s where I would start. Personally, I think you might be better served getting some linen and wool, getting out in the woods in it, and then evaluating if you think a layer of suede would help.

I know there are some folks on the boards who trek in suede jerkins, and some that don’t care for them or prefer braintan. My guess is it’s probably very climate dependent. Linen and wool seems to be a winning combination in most places, though (or just linen, in warmer locales), so I don’t think you could go wrong starting there.

Of course, if you already have some of those layers, feel free to disregard!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

Ghostsoldier wrote:That's the one I have for my kit upgrade, and I can't say enough good things about it; it's really comfortable and is made of heavyweight leather (I chose the brown version). I even ordered the lace-on sleeve extensions for it, so I could have that option.

Rob
That looks really great! May I ask where you got your linen tunic under the suede one? I like the color combos and the brown is darker than their advertised pics, I like it!
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

Taurinor wrote:It looks like a solidly built piece of gear, and looks quite nice with the rest of your kit, Rob!

That said, I don’t know that it’s where I would start. Personally, I think you might be better served getting some linen and wool, getting out in the woods in it, and then evaluating if you think a layer of suede would help.

I know there are some folks on the boards who trek in suede jerkins, and some that don’t care for them or prefer braintan. My guess is it’s probably very climate dependent. Linen and wool seems to be a winning combination in most places, though (or just linen, in warmer locales), so I don’t think you could go wrong starting there.

Of course, if you already have some of those layers, feel free to disregard!

Excellent point Taurinor! The climate here in NorCal seems to be all over the map right now. Some of the fire at treks are cold but very wet/humid. This piece seems like it could be a great addition as well as a wool and linen combo for even colder places I plan to venture to.
Ghostsoldier

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Thanks, Taurinor! :P
Rainor_Elulith wrote:That looks really great! May I ask where you got your linen tunic under the suede one? I like the color combos and the brown is darker than their advertised pics, I like it!
Thanks! It's a linen shirt I made from an old drop-shoulder Folkwear Poet's shirt pattern that I modified to look Middle-Earthy.

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Like what you did with the shirt !
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Did you cut the bottom length of that tunic, Ghostsoldier? It looks longer on the website.
Frodo lives!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Great stuff here!

And yes... Ah yes, the age-old “leather jerkin debate,” haha.

Personally, I’m a huge fan of leather garments. And I’ve become more of a fan as time has gone on. I definitely understand the objections many people have to leather garb like this, but for my own part I have found them comfortable and practical. In fact I’m working on a brand new log leather jerkin for myself right now, and I’m pretty excited about it!

Suede, in particular, may not be the very best in terms of material, but I don’t think it’s awful. Personally, I would recommend treating it with some kind of weatherproofing agent like dubbin or Aussie-wax. It will slick down the fibers and many would consider that to basically “ruin” the suede, but it definitely makes it more practical for ranger use. Of course, modern tanning methods for garment leather like this don’t allow the leather to breathe at all, which can definitely be a bit stifling, but even so, a leather garment of any kind really does add a bit of resistance against the elements, whether sticks and brambles or weather (especially if it’s waterproofed). I agree that wearing it in hot weather can be a bad plan, but I’ve worn mine in the Colorado summer plenty of times, and while I do sweat plenty, I’m always wearing linen under-layers, which help mitigate that.

In the end I think it comes down to personal preference, and a certain amount of knowledge of how your body reacts to the weather. There’s a reason bikers wear leather though, so it definitely has its merits.
Last edited by Manveruon on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Aravir
Dúnadan

Post by Aravir »

Great insight Manveruon!

You’re right it seems the application depends on climate, weather, terrain, personal taste, etc.

I used to be a “biker” in a MC. Leather is king. Protection from the elements, from the road, from debris, amongst other things, all very useful.

I ordered the same tunic as Rob’s. There’s a link on Etsy for a very impressive (and pricey of course) Strider leather jerkin I might decide to get one day. Nothing looks nicer than aged leather in my opinion and truly only looks better as time goes on.

I’ll definitely weatherproof the suede though! Thanks for your advice.
Ghostsoldier

Post by Ghostsoldier »

TaylorSteiner wrote:Did you cut the bottom length of that tunic, Ghostsoldier? It looks longer on the website.
It must be the angle of the photo Taylor, because it's the same length as when I made it about 15 years ago...all I did was dye it a grey color to repurpose it for Rangering, as it was originally a cream linen.

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Gotchya thanks : )
Frodo lives!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Ghostsoldier wrote:
TaylorSteiner wrote:Did you cut the bottom length of that tunic, Ghostsoldier? It looks longer on the website.
It must be the angle of the photo Taylor, because it's the same length as when I made it about 15 years ago...all I did was dye it a grey color to repurpose it for Rangering, as it was originally a cream linen.

Rob
Just to clarify, I think he meant the leather vest, which appears longer in the photos on the website than the one you're wearing.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Yep I figured it out though :mrgreen:
Frodo lives!
Ghostsoldier

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Manveruon wrote:
Ghostsoldier wrote:

Rob
Just to clarify, I think he meant the leather vest, which appears longer in the photos on the website than the one you're wearing.
Doh! My bad...it might help me to actually read the words that Taylor wrote in his question; I sometimes get ahead of myself, lol. :P

Yes, it's the same length as it was when purchased; I had debated removing the leather closure straps and buckles and replacing them with braided leather cording for a more organic look, but once I saw how heavy-duty the straps are, I decided to leave them intact; if one ever actually breaks free from the tunic body, I may opt for the cording closures (which I doubt will happen, as these things are extremely well connected).

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."