Brain Tan bag

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

theowl
Vendor

Brain Tan bag

Post by theowl »

A few months ago I posted about ordering in some brain tanned leather from the hide house to play around with and I finally got around to it.

I ordered a deer hide and a bison hide. My workshop smelled like a campfire within seconds of opening the package, so they're definitely smoked, and according to my rep from the hide house they are in fact made using the brain from the animal, so that's neat.

I toyed with a few different ideas for what to make, and defaulted to a shoulder bag, because I wanted a new one..

It's the same basic design as the bison bag that I sell on my site with a few additions. I used the same antler/loop toggle that I used on my other bag and Taylor's pouch (thanks again to Manveruon for the inspiration) I made the strap out of 10 ounce vegtan, because I wanted something a little more hearty for the strap, but I might switch it out later. The strap is laced onto the bag and adjusts via the same setup, so it wouldn't be hard to switch out. I wanted to use as few rivets as possible on this bag, and I like the look of the lace attachments a lot. Let me carry this around for a few months and see if I still like the laces..

Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: Brain Tan bag

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Beautiful!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice work :P the smaller inside pocket is a neat idea
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Iodo wrote:the smaller inside pocket is a neat idea
Definitely easier than rummaging around trying to find small stuff.
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Excellent work! :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

OOOOOOOHHHH BOYOHBOYOHBOY THAT IS LOVELY! I had no idea the Hide House sold brain-tan leather! I really might have to get myself some to play around with! How cool! The bag turned out beautifully! It will be very interesting to see how it ages!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Manveruon wrote:OOOOOOOHHHH BOYOHBOYOHBOY THAT IS LOVELY! I had no idea the Hide House sold brain-tan leather! I really might have to get myself some to play around with! How cool! The bag turned out beautifully! It will be very interesting to see how it ages!
Thanks! Their brain tan is pretty new, and not cheap, but definitely worth it. I like it a lot so far.

I've been debating giving it a dye bath since it's lighter in color than I'd like, or just letting it darken naturally.