Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

Post by Iodo »

TaylorSteiner wrote:Looks great!
Thank you :P
TaylorSteiner wrote:What grit of stone is that?
the honest answer is that I don't know, I don't even know what kind of stone it is, the guy I bought it from said that he bought the stones in bulk, didn't know a lot about them and that all he did was attach them to wood to sell at the ren-fair. It will sharpen a blade to an acceptable edge for use as a tool at camp but it won't give an edge good enough for the chip-carving knife so I think I'll have to find some other grades

I have quite a lot of small stones for sharpening lathe toots, chisels etc.. the problem is they've all been used with oil and can't be used with water, meaning I'd have to include oil in the tool kit, that said, I might end up doing this anyway for blade maintenance?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Gotchya. So after you've used oil on a stone you can't switch back to water? Good to know : )
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

TaylorSteiner wrote:Gotchya. So after you've used oil on a stone you can't switch back to water? Good to know : )
yep, if you soak a stone in water it drys out leaving no residue, once you soak the stone in oil you can't ever get enough of the oil out for the stone to no-longer resist water (I've tried)

most people sharpen with oil because it's a better lubricant and helps prevent the stone from loosing it's flat surface, for this reason any second-hand stone will have already been used with oil (that's all of mine). Most stones cut slightly faster with water than with oil and become loaded slower but the only real reason to use water is if you may need to use it somewhere where you don't have oil, If I want some different grades I'll have to buy new stones to use with water and even then it's not completely safe, some India stones come pre-soaked in oil. or I just decide to carry oil :?:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow cool
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

TaylorSteiner wrote:Wow cool
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

If you are using a sharpening stone in the field, my advice is to pack a new or non-oiled stone. For simple touch ups I use a hard Arkansas with no lube (either water/saliva or oil). Oil or water provides lubricating properties but this will have an adverse effect on how fast you can sharpen your blade. Sharpening occurs by shaving minute bits of steel off your edge. One stroke on one side, then one stroke on the other. Lubing the stone decreases the amount of resistance and lessens the amount of steel removal, thus it takes longer to sharpen your blade. For field touchup, use your stone dry and then strop it on the suede side of a belt or strap. You will notice dark streaks of metal fillings on your stone, evidence on how much steel was removed. Because the stone is dry you simply wipe the filling off on your pants leg. No oil no staining and no clogging !

I do use an oiled bigger stone for fine work in the house.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Iodo wrote:
TaylorSteiner wrote:What grit of stone is that?
the honest answer is that I don't know, I don't even know what kind of stone it is
By the color, I'd guess silicon carbide, but it could just as easily be aluminum oxide. Not strictly 'natural', but perhaps fitting for a dwarf, since they're essentially amalgamated gemstone dust.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Peter Remling wrote:If you are using a sharpening stone in the field, my advice is to pack a new or non-oiled stone. For simple touch ups I use a hard Arkansas with no lube (either water/saliva or oil). Oil or water provides lubricating properties but this will have an adverse effect on how fast you can sharpen your blade. Sharpening occurs by shaving minute bits of steel off your edge. One stroke on one side, then one stroke on the other. Lubing the stone decreases the amount of resistance and lessens the amount of steel removal, thus it takes longer to sharpen your blade. For field touchup, use your stone dry and then strop it on the suede side of a belt or strap. You will notice dark streaks of metal fillings on your stone, evidence on how much steel was removed. Because the stone is dry you simply wipe the filling off on your pants leg. No oil no staining and no clogging !

I do use an oiled bigger stone for fine work in the house.
using it dry, nice tip, thank you :P
SierraStrider wrote: By the color, I'd guess silicon carbide, but it could just as easily be aluminum oxide. Not strictly 'natural', but perhaps fitting for a dwarf, since they're essentially amalgamated gemstone dust.
it's definitely a man made stone, from comparing it to my others I think it's silicon carbide but I cant be sure because there discolored with oil
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Next addition, rope splicing fid:
Admittedly it looks quite modern but I can always replace it at some time
Meganbeyer
Wanderer

Post by Meganbeyer »

Iodo on the hone stones you maybe be able to pull a lot of the oil out. I have done this with varying success in the past.
The method given to me by my grandfather is: Soak the stone is boiling hot water for a while (15-20 mins) then scrub with hot water and dish soap or old type lye soap. Allow to dry and see how it came out, I have repeated the process 2-3 time before it really worked well.

Grandpa was a knife sharpener in a meat packing house for many years, and always told me water was the best to use on my stones but being young an all I tried oil. Oh what a mess, and I wanted to get my favorite 2 stones back so grandpa came to help me out again...

Your rope fid seems nice, I have never used one for twisted rope before just on braided ropes. Where did you find your fid?

Peter Remling wrote:Instead of a hand cart or pony drawn cart, consider a pack saddle to carry goods and tools. It's very easy to make a pack saddle from some shaped wood slats, a moving blanket, some garment leather scraps , a steel ring about 2" in diameter and a piece of leather belt strap. I made one for a photo shoot years ago (that never happened). The pony wasn't available but making the pack saddle was very easy.
Peter on pack saddle, if planning on using pack saddles over any amount of time and with heavy packs, a well fitting pack saddle is great! Great pack saddles have to be able to form to the horses back or they can cause great pain to the animal. Also pack saddles are not limited to the equine relm, goats, alpacas, lamas, even dogs can carry a pack saddle, or pull small carts.
Really nice pack saddle design in one that flexes to fit the angle of the animals back. Similar to this one... http://www.outfitterspackstation.com/fowisk.html I think I will be making one similar to this design for my personal dwarven kit, in the future when I get a pony, to go with Rosie.

Over all I love your kit Iodo!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Meganbeyer wrote:
Peter on pack saddle, if planning on using pack saddles over any amount of time and with heavy packs, a well fitting pack saddle is great! Great pack saddles have to be able to form to the horses back or they can cause great pain to the animal. Also pack saddles are not limited to the equine relm, goats, alpacas, lamas, even dogs can carry a pack saddle, or pull small carts.
Really nice pack saddle design in one that flexes to fit the angle of the animals back. Similar to this one... http://www.outfitterspackstation.com/fowisk.html I think I will be making one similar to this design for my personal dwarven kit, in the future when I get a pony, to go with Rosie.

Over all I love your kit Iodo![/quote]

Megan, thanks for the saddle link. Very nice construction. The one I made was for a photo shoot with extremely light loads and was only supposed to be on the animal for 20 minutes or so.

I keep separate stones for dry and oiled use. Your grandfather's solution should work great if I need to un-oil a stone.

Thanks
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Meganbeyer wrote:Iodo on the hone stones you maybe be able to pull a lot of the oil out. I have done this with varying success in the past.
The method given to me by my grandfather is: Soak the stone is boiling hot water for a while (15-20 mins) then scrub with hot water and dish soap or old type lye soap. Allow to dry and see how it came out, I have repeated the process 2-3 time before it really worked well.
I'll have to try this, although I fear that a stone having been used with oil once is quite different to a stone having been used oil every day for years, I'll let you know how it goes
Meganbeyer wrote:Your rope fid seems nice, I have never used one for twisted rope before just on braided ropes. Where did you find your fid?
Yep same, before a few weeks ago I'd never spliced anything other than braided rope (tow ropes, lifting tackle etc...), I have a set of selma fids for that, I made this one from a piece of swagelok stainless pipe specially for three and four stranded ropes because the only part you need is the point to separate the rope cores, so it's shorter and while still looking modern, it looks slightly less modern
Meganbeyer
Wanderer

Post by Meganbeyer »

Iodo some of my stones were used for 2-3 yrs with oil, then left sitting in a draw, i had counted them as a loss before talking to grandpa...
Neat idea on the fid, will have to try making one.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Meganbeyer wrote:Neat idea on the fid, will have to try making one.
If you have an angle grinder it's easy, maybe if you found some steel steam pipe instead of stainless it would look a bit more authentic?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Now I have to learn to splice rope, you guys are killing me ! :P