Soul Revolver Ranger Coat

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Strider87pl

Soul Revolver Ranger Coat

Post by Strider87pl »

Hi All! :) First post here!

I was just wondering if any of you have seen or purchased Soul Revolver's Ranger Coat? It's an inspired by version of Aragorn's Duster as worn in the movies.

If so, what are your thoughts? Would you recommend buying? Do you have any photos to share? From the photos on the website, it looks to be a decent tribute!

Thanks in advance! :)

https://www.soulrevolver.com/mens-leath ... ets/ranger
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Soul Revolver Ranger Coat

Post by Iodo »

Welcome to the forum :P
Strider87pl wrote: I was just wondering if any of you have seen or purchased Soul Revolver's Ranger Coat? It's an inspired by version of Aragorn's Duster as worn in the movies.
If so, what are your thoughts? Would you recommend buying? Do you have any photos to share? From the photos on the website, it looks to be a decent tribute!
I've never actually owned it, although on first impressions, It looks to be a decent leather jacket but far from screen accurate (If that's what your after?), the movie version is a kind of green color and much longer, it also doesn't seem to be lined with anything and has an archery bracer type thing sewn to the sleeve

for reference:
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hum ... Duster.htm

Quite a while ago Manveruon made an amazing screen accurate version of it, all his pics have gone and I'm sure I remember a thread about it that I just can't seem to find, maybe I'm imagining things?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Strider87pl

Post by Strider87pl »

Thanks! :)

Agreed that it is far from screen accurate! I think these are modern, everyday 'wearable' jackets which are a kind of a tribute to the movie version rather than an exact replica!

I'd love to own a screen accurate version but these don't seem to be available anywhere and I wouldn't be the most creative so might have to settle with the soul revolver version!! :D

Really appreciate the feedback though, thank you! :)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Strider87pl wrote: Really appreciate the feedback though, thank you! :)
your welcome :P although I'm no expert

do you want it for every day wear or to use as part of a kit/costume? because for that price it might be possible to commission someone to make a more accurate version, and failing that, the pattern doesn't seem to complicated, maybe you could have a go?
Last edited by Iodo on Wed May 13, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Strider87pl

Post by Strider87pl »

I'd be buying it as part of a kit or costume (but more so just to have really!!) :P

Yeah it's pretty pricey at £470! It would be ideal if I could find someone to pay to create a more accurate version! The film version is fantastic! :)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Strider87pl wrote: Yeah it's pretty pricey at £470! It would be ideal if I could find someone to pay to create a more accurate version! The film version is fantastic! :)
I had a bit of a look around to see if I could find anyone offering a more "screen accurate" version of it for a reasonable price, I had no luck but I may have found the same one for quite a bit less?

https://www.jacketscreator.com/product/ ... rn-duster/

I don't know how reputable the site is though?
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

For what it's worth, there are some more accurate versions on etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/558217686/
https://www.etsy.com/listing/720054175/

Now I have no idea how good they are, or how accurate to the film they are - but if you're talking 400GBP price range, I imagine you can find *someone* willing to do that work custom.

edit.... dang. The pound has really dropped against the dollar: 470GBP isn't as much as I thought it was!
I still think if you're willing to stretch your budget that much, you can find far closer to what you're looking for though: or if you're interested in kit that's as functional as it is pretty, search the archives here for "jerkin" - Greg did a fantastic one a year or two back.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Strider87pl

Post by Strider87pl »

Thanks for the links guys, I really do appreciate it! Some absolutely awesome pieces there!! Thanks again!! :)
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Seems like a modernized version of his duster. Kind of cool but I don't know how useful it would be as anything other than fashion .
Strider87pl

Post by Strider87pl »

Thanks again for the links on this again guys!

Think I’ve found the best replica that I’m going to find for this: https://volto-nero-costumes.myshopify.c ... -the-rings

Pricey but looks really well and exactly what I’m looking for! Will make sure I post some photos once it arrives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Strider87pl wrote:Thanks again for the links on this again guys!
NP :P
Strider87pl wrote:Think I’ve found the best replica that I’m going to find for this: https://volto-nero-costumes.myshopify.c ... -the-rings
I found that one but I didn't post a link because it was expensive LOL, looks so awesome though :mrgreen:
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow can't wait to see that!
Frodo lives!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

SOOOOOOOOOO bummed I didn’t log in and see this earlier.

So yeah... I don’t think it would be boastful to say that I believe I have probably made one of the most screen-accurate replicas of Strider’s duster ever. Possibly THE most (at least I’ve never seen one as accurate as mine). I can say that if you’re looking for something that’s as close to the movie version as possible, the Volto-Nero one is quite good (not perfect, but better than the rest). I’ve seen the one you included in your original post a number of times while scrolling online, and it’s honestly a beautiful coat, but like everyone has said above, more of a modern everyday-wearable take on the movie jacket. Also, yeah, quite pricey. For a professionally made, modern leather jacket, it isn’t the *worst*, but it still seems a little steep.

Now... that being said... I’ve considered the possibility of making clothing items like this on commission... but admittedly, it’s probably more work than I’m personally up for. My own was completely hand-stitched and hand-laced, and I can’t even begin to tell you how many hours of work I put into it. I also tailored it within an inch of its life so it would fit just like Viggo’s. All that together would mean I would also have to charge an egregious price if I ever made one for sale.

However... Honestly, if you’re looking for something *similar* to Strider’s coat, but not *exact*, that might be a little easier. Or at least... Wellllllll... Do you have any experience with leather-working and cosplay? Because as far as patterns go, a duster like that (particularly one that doesn’t have to be exact) is not the hardest design to make. His has a separate collar, an overlapped split up the back, a TON of lacing along the arms and waist and just... everywhere... but if you were to dispense with some of that stuff, as well as some of the extreme tailoring, it would probably be a lot easier. At any rate, I’m certainly happy to share my expertise, experience, progress pics - whatever you like really, if you want to try your hand at it.
Last edited by Manveruon on Mon May 25, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Here’s a link to my build photos. It includes a ton of pics of the whole process I went through in making my whole screen-accurate Aragorn cosplay (which technically still isn’t even 100% finished, but is anything ever?):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 3lIaXVWdkU

I also wanted to take a moment to talk about Aragorn’s jacket in terms of ranger garb in general. I will say that when I first saw the movies I wasn’t a huge fan of this particular garment (a long jacket like that didn’t have a very “Fantasy” vibe to me for whatever reason), but it has really grown on me over the years. Even so, there has been considerable debate around here about whether or not such a garment is actually practical. Ultimately, leather (particularly leather tanned using modern processes, like most you will find around from places like Tandy) does not breath at all, and isn’t great in rainy or damp climates. It CAN be treated with various waterproofing agents, but the breathability is still an issue. If you live in a particularly warm climate, this may be a prohibitive drawback. For instance, if you live in Texas, and you tried to wear something like this in July, you’d very likely keel over of heat-exhaustion.

Now, for my own part, I’ve really come to love mine. So much so, in fact, that I’m currently planning to make a brand new one all of my own - inspired by the one in the movies, but not an exact replica. Got all the leather for it ready to go and everything - I just need to finish my new jerkin first.
Especially during the cooler months here in CO, I have found it to be quite practical, and it also makes for quite a durable outer layer when scrambling through the forest. But I will admit that there are a number of valid arguments against this sort of outer garment. For one, it just doesn’t show up in a historical context at all - it’s basically pure fantasy. For another, an ankle-length coat can definitely snag on things, get tripped over, and just generally get in the way. In my opinion, these are drawbacks I’m willing to live with and/or work around, because I love the dang thing so much, but my point is, there are definitely a fair number of valid arguments to be made against wearing one (and I’m sure other members here can elaborate on that subject if you’re interested). It all comes down to personal taste, but I just always think it’s best to make an informed decision.
Last edited by Manveruon on Mon May 25, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon wrote: Now, for my own part, I’ve really come to love mine. So much so, in fact, that I’m currently planning to make a brand new one all of my own - inspired by the one in the movies, but not an exact replica. Got all the leather for it ready to go and everything - I just need to finish my new jerkin first.
I'm looking forward to seeing that :P