Thorsbjerg trousers for sale

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Udwin
Vendor

Thorsbjerg trousers for sale

Post by Udwin »

Greetings all! I've been weeding out and downsizing my various wardrobes to help finance the AT thru-hike my partner and I are planning for next year. I found that I had a few pairs of my favorite comfy pants kicking around, and I thought I would offer them to the MERF community in hopes that you (or someone you know!) might be looking for a historical upgrade to their soft kit.

These are Thorsbjerg-pattern trousers, made of bleached 100% linen handsewn with linen. Greg wears a pair of these (walnut-dyed) on his journeys; since these are 'white', you could dye them any color you want! These differ from the historical example as I opted to omit the feet. One pair has a drawstring (currently a simple braintan thong), the other has belt loops like the original (though you could still use a drawstring as well).

Here's the thing: since first making them both pairs have been on many adventures and are well broken in. Nice and soft, with solid 'authentic wear patterns'. They have been patched a few times (drawstring pair has a patched knee; the belt loop pair has a couple of small preventative patches on the side of the leg).

Alternatively, if you like the Thorsberg style but prefer to break in your own trousers, I currently have materials prepared to make another pair in yellow ~7oz linen. While I am always available to sew these up myself, Thorsbergs are fairly straightforward (handsewing a pair takes me about eight hours) and I would love to offer this up as a precut 'kit' for you to finish.

Waist measurement is 35", and length 32" - so like, a Medium? You might be able to squeeze another inch out of the 'kit' if you use a narrower seam allowance, or machine-sew and don't fell the seams.

As-is trousers: $30 each SOLD
Yellow you-sew-it Kit $15 SOLD

If you have any questions, please ask! Thanks! : )
Attachments
TBerg-Merf2.jpg
TBerg-Merf2.jpg (251.46 KiB) Viewed 11429 times
TBerg-Merf1.jpg
TBerg-Merf1.jpg (243 KiB) Viewed 11429 times
Last edited by Udwin on Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Thorsbjerg trousers & kit

Post by Manveruon »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH BOY IS THAT TEMPTING! Dang! ARGH. I... hmmm. I probably want one of these, I just can't decide if I want a finished set or a kit. Probably a kit, so I don't have to dye anything (I've had terrible luck dying linen). Would you be okay with me sharing this to my Misty Mountain Rangers FB page? Or would you prefer to keep this in-house on the forums?

Oh! Also! Almost forgot an important question: what weight of linen are we talking? And like... how durable/tightly-woven/etc. would you say they are?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Hey, feel free to share. I figured some folks here (like you or Taurinor) had other folks in your circles who might be interested.
Good questions. Weave is tight on all. Not gauzy like fabricstore's 5.3oz. After comparing to my samples, I think the weight is probably somewhere in the 6-6.5 oz range. Might be a little higher, might be a little lower. Definitely not as light as the 5.3 or heavy as the 7.1oz fabricstore swatches I have.
I would consider the white pants to be more of a summerweight, and the yellow (prob closer to 6.5oz) to be a spring/fall weight. I've worn the white ones in 30s & 40s, but it was while I was being active, trailrunning and such. The tight weave makes them quite resilient to wear and tear.

Edit: I removed the brown 'kit' option. I AM going to use them to test a theory I have regarding getting a better fit with the Tberg pattern.
Last edited by Udwin on Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hmmmm... Good to know, thank you! I do think the brown ones would be nice for a summer kit... Although now I'm wondering if I should go for something a bit heavier than that in the fabric department, and maybe just hit you up for the pattern, heh.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

You didn't want the brown ones. (I've removed them as an option--too lightweight, pocket ghosts, and a bad match between the legs and seat pieces. But I do have a plan for them as a testbed for getting a better fitting Tberg. Stay tuned.
The yellow kit I think would look really cool after a soak in dark walnut goop.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Udwin wrote:You didn't want the brown ones. (I've removed them as an option--too lightweight, pocket ghosts, and a bad match between the legs and seat pieces. But I do have a plan for them as a testbed for getting a better fitting Tberg. Stay tuned.
The yellow kit I think would look really cool after a soak in dark walnut goop.
Sounds good, thanks for the heads-up! The yellow ones don't suit my personal tastes, but I'd definitely be interested in seeing what you do with the improved fit! And if you do get that sorted in the not-too-distant future, I definitely wouldn't mind nabbing a pattern from you if you're up for it. I've got plenty of fabric lying around, and I'm sure I could put some of it to good use on a pair of these trousers! They've been something I've wanted to try my hand at for a long time.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

For sure I can hook you up with my pattern. I did a little tinkering and did manage to get a slightly better fit to minimize the saggy seat look.

The three trousers from my original post have now been shipped to their new owner. However, while I was digging through my merchandise trunk I discovered ANOTHER pair of Thorsbjerg trousers. I believe I sewed these in...2018? Like the others, these are 100% linen, handsewn with linen. The legs and crotch pieces are a ~6.5 oz natural/unbleached, and the seat piece is a heavier (7.1oz pretty sure) bleached/natural mix from fabric-store. I did my best to get a good color match but it is a slightly different shade...which wouldn't be seen under a long tunic anyway.
If natural linen isn't your thing, I'm always able to dye another color if needed at no extra charge.

This pair is larger than my others, approximately 38 x 32". Waist is drawstring, and comes with the braided drawstring shown (3-strand braintan deer). These are brand-new, never worn. Asking $140.
Attachments
tberg-merf4.jpg
tberg-merf4.jpg (248.41 KiB) Viewed 10820 times
tberg-merf4 drawstring.jpg
tberg-merf4 drawstring.jpg (120.91 KiB) Viewed 10820 times