Numenorean design motifs

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Numenorean design motifs

Post by Iodo »

Inspiration from an unlikely source

I was researching Victorian and Edwardian metal engraving, specifically on guns, for a steampunk costume I've been working on and here's the page of sketches I ended up with after studying a lot of pictures on google:

And I still can't get over how similar some of the patterning is to the designs on this thread, I have no idea if this was one of Tolkien's inspirations or if it's just pure coincidence :?:

Food for thought anyway :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Iodo wrote:Inspiration from an unlikely source

I was researching Victorian and Edwardian metal engraving, specifically on guns, for a steampunk costume I've been working on and here's the page of sketches I ended up with after studying a lot of pictures on google:

And I still can't get over how similar some of the patterning is to the designs on this thread, I have no idea if this was one of Tolkien's inspirations or if it's just pure coincidence :?:

Food for thought anyway :mrgreen:

Oh, yes. The Professor was VERY influenced by the illustration and craft design of his childhood. You should compare his work to the illustrator Kay Nielson. I had a big op

-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

caedmon wrote: Oh, yes. The Professor was VERY influenced by the illustration and craft design of his childhood. You should compare his work to the illustrator Kay Nielson. I had a big op
Wow, up until now I hadn't heard of Kay Nielsen, his art is so similar to Tolkien's, very cool :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Darnokthemage
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Darnokthemage »

I have to protest! The third drawing is actually made by John Bauer, One of SWEDENS (NOT DENMARKS! >:() finest artist, here are some more works of his.

Artist, larper and history lover.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I don't stand a chance of noticing such things :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Well this is cool -

looking through Cedarlore's back catalog, I saw a reference to this thing he made some time back using some of the Professor's doodle-patterns:
cedarlore-tolkien-floral-pattern-knife.jpg
cedarlore-tolkien-floral-pattern-knife.jpg (44.62 KiB) Viewed 24465 times
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNKt2vIFq-Q/

I have loved that flower-in-a-wedge pattern of his for ages. How cool to see it in use!

... and it seems it would pair quite nicely with caedmon's girdle-pouch. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

The recent question on Dunedain penannulars had me thinking, tried top stretch into some Numenorean territory beyond the simple arclines and lotus I've been playing with to this point.

penannular.gif
penannular.gif (82.47 KiB) Viewed 22667 times
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

caedmon wrote:The recent question on Dunedain penannulars had me thinking, tried top stretch into some Numenorean territory beyond the simple arclines and lotus I've been playing with to this point.
0_0 Welp that's impressive. I definitely buy it as Dunedain.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

It's so funny...we all collectively thought that design looked wonky, but now that we see it on an actual piece, it totally works!

Just like the carpet and the other motifs we've looked at...they seem odd in a drawing, but when they get embroidered onto something or scribed into leather, they come alive. I can't ever second-guess a design again!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

One more because I can't get it out of my head. This one overlaid on the 9th c. irish penannular that inspired it.

penannular_02.jpg
penannular_02.jpg (99.58 KiB) Viewed 22610 times
-Jack Horner

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That is STUNNING! My thoughts mirror Greg’s almost directly - I absolutely detested the design when I saw it first, but in this context it is PERFECT. Looks absolutely believable as an authentic cultural embellishment!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Jack, what's the size on the size on that Irish example? Trying to get an idea of how small those design would be engraved.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Udwin wrote:Jack, what's the size on the size on that Irish example? Trying to get an idea of how small those design would be engraved.

The original is in the Walter’s Art Museum in Baltimore. The diameter is 65mm, and the pin is 125mm.

The dunedain spiralwork is MUCH more intricate than the original triskelion, and May not be very practical.
-Jack Horner

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Amazing, simply amazing!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh.... I really like that second one especially.

The not-quite-Mediterranean art and Irish form *really* reminds me of some of the old "Sea People" proto-Celt vibe I think The Professor was channeling in his later Numenorean writings.

Incredible!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.