A quick flourish

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

A quick flourish

Post by Ursus »

Somebody over on the Facebook group had a question about my standard ranger sword so I threw together this quick little flourish to give some perspective. Nothing fancy. The sword is an upgraded Hanwei Great Sword of War for all who want to know. I rewrapped the handle and reprofiled the blade from a type XIII to a type XII. https://youtu.be/XNjd1phpS3M

"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: A quick flourish

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome stuff Ursus. Can you recommend a good hema book?
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Very nice, sir! Good to 'see' you!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

TaylorSteiner wrote:Awesome stuff Ursus. Can you recommend a good hema book?
The swordsmans companion by Guy Windsor and the beginners guide to longsword by Steaphen Fick are both great for getting started. I've trained with Fick a handful of times and he's one of the best.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Ursus wrote:Somebody over on the Facebook group had a question about my standard ranger sword so I threw together this quick little flourish to give some perspective. Nothing fancy. The sword is an upgraded Hanwei Great Sword of War for all who want to know. I rewrapped the handle and reprofiled the blade from a type XIII to a type XII. https://youtu.be/XNjd1phpS3M

Awesome! Is that Meyer?
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

theowl wrote:
The swordsmans companion by Guy Windsor and the beginners guide to longsword by Steaphen Fick are both great for getting started. I've trained with Fick a handful of times and he's one of the best.
Awesome! Thank you!
Frodo lives!
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Those are just two that I have personally been through many times. I've dabbled in liechtenauer and such, but I'm more familiar with the Italian.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Anything by Guy Windsor or Christian Tobler are fantastic sources for beginners and advanced students alike.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

theowl wrote:
Ursus wrote:Somebody over on the Facebook group had a question about my standard ranger sword so I threw together this quick little flourish to give some perspective. Nothing fancy. The sword is an upgraded Hanwei Great Sword of War for all who want to know. I rewrapped the handle and reprofiled the blade from a type XIII to a type XII. https://youtu.be/XNjd1phpS3M

Awesome! Is that Meyer?
Generically German but mostly Meyer.
I’ve reached a point in my study that my “style” tends to blend a lot different concepts and practices from many different treatises.
Longsword is far and away my favorite weapon but I also work regularly with sword and buckler/round shield/ heater shield, sword and dagger, rapier, and military saber. I also spend a good amount of time with spear, spear and shield, quarterstaff, pollaxe, and various knife and dagger work. Many of the rules of these translate over to each other well. As a result I’ve developed a versatile, if not unorthodox style of fighting. Weapons are fun.

theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Ursus wrote: I’ve reached a point in my study that my “style” tends to blend a lot different concepts and practices from many different treatises.
Sounds about right. I fought in armored tournaments for 5 years before I ever picked up a book, and a lot of the very basic stuff I was shown is universal throughout. I’ve dabbled in so much that The line has blurred between stuff I've learned and stuff I've done while sparring that just worked...
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Thanks Ursus!
Frodo lives!