Nazgûl vs. Fire

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Nazgûl vs. Fire

Post by Beornmann »

I remember reading how the Nazgûl feared fire. Can't re-find the exact passage in FOTR, but from www.tuckborough.net, ...
"The Nazgul did have some weaknesses. The eight Nazgul excluding the Lord of the Nazgul feared water, and they did not like to cross rivers except over bridges. They could endure the Sun, but the eight lesser Nazgul tended to become confused in daylight when they were alone and their power was diminished. They also hated fire."
So, I raise the question.... Why did not the foes of the Black Riders simply use flaming arrows, Molotov cocktail, and other such incendiary-type weapons?
Last edited by Beornmann on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Nazgûl vs. Fire

Post by Greg »

Because the story would be over too quickly (see thread "How the Lord of the Rings should have ended.")

I don't have any other explanation, save that during most encounters with them, they were unexpected foes, and few had torches/fired on hand to make incendiary arrows in a few seconds' time.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Greg wrote:Because the story would be over too quickly (see thread "How the Lord of the Rings should have ended.")
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I love that clip!
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

well if we start throwing molotovs...I want my .44 as well it could be fun to go Dirty Harry on some orcs.....Dost thou feel lucky, wretch?....well?....dost thou? :lol:
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I think the easiest answer is that the Nazgul inspired such fear in common men that you would not think of fire, flaming arrows, or molotov cocktails. More likely you'd be running. It is telling that the Hobbits are able to stand their ground at Weathertop, and Aragorn knows what the Nazgul fear, and drives them away with fire. Even the Rangers at Sarn Ford were overcome by the Black Riders when night fell.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Sam

Post by Sam »

Good points so far. It is entirely possible that they could have had access to early forms of incendiaries...if we take the view that Middle Earth is set sometime in our ancient history. However, I can't think of any other applications of fire arrows in Middle Earth, apart from signalling and lighting up the odd nazgul or two (which were rare enough as it was). I'm not so sure about the practicality of fire arrows as weapons either, as any method you use to light it up would affect the accuracy and range of the arrow. The nazgul tended to close ground quickly, and were rarely still enough. A fire arrow wouldn't be much use against the flying fell beasts, and If they were on the ground or on horses there was rarely only one. Also they rarely came at them straight on. Usually resorting to ambush and trickery, cloaked in darkness and fear.

Incendiaries would probably be of little use as the Nazguls fought in close quarters. You don't want to light yourself up too.

Last of all, Nazgul are afraid of fire to some extent, but are they actually that flammable?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Sam wrote:
Last of all, Nazgul are afraid of fire to some extent, but are they actually that flammable?
There were traders let into Mordor, there could easily have been one with Flame Retardent Nazgul Robes. Please remember that at the attack on Weathertop, it was night, so they were wearing their pajamas and the laws regarding flame retardent pjs were not yet passed.

Hope this resolves all the issues.

(Runs and ducks) :lol:

On a more sensible note: Humans are afaid of fire (as all animals) this doesn't mean we won't use it to our advantage even though it can kill us, the same would go for the Nazguls (humans in the distant past). Hitting a person with a fire arrow doesn't mean their clothes will burst into flames. A torch must be held against material before it smoulders and then burst into flames.

Drop and Roll would have the same effect then as now.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I once heard it third hand that Sauron did decree mandatory
fire drills. Its also a bit of a legend that after weathertop
one of wraiths allegedly dropped a "Fire and YOU!" handbook.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Which begs the question, why did the Nazgul suddenly burst into flames? Was it because Aragorn, son of Arathorn and heir of Isildur was wielding the brand which hit the Dark Rider, or perhaps a more down to earth explanation. Remember where the Nazgul had been before Weathertop. They were in Bree, at the Prancing Pony. Which serves alcohol. Lots of alcohol. That's right, the flaming Nazgul was also a raging alcoholic. Look how he is portrayed in the film, confused, slow, incoherent. I for one could not understand a thing he was screaming as he burst into flames. I can only hope that before the Ring was destroyed and he blew up, he got some help, or at least had an intervention. :mrgreen:
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Sam

Post by Sam »

I just looked in the book, and I don't think it mentions anything about Nazgul burning at all. It just says Aragorn jumped out with two brands.
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

This may only make sense to those familiar with the Teen Girl Squad:

"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

"We're gonna look SOOOOO burnt!

Let's go get ourselves some SUPER-POWERFUL RINGS!!!"
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.