Tent Material

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Sam
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Tent Material

Post by Sam »

Interesting idea, but of course there are issues to consider with such a setup:

If you set up as shelter from the elements, you no longer have a portable to use like a rain coat if you need to move around in non-optimal weather after setting up camp. Conversely, if you wait until you go to sleep to set up, it will be dark, or if you have to take it down/put it up again in the rain it will be difficult, and you would get wet once again.

What I'm saying is that ideally you want a shelter that you can set up before night or bad weather comes in, but then still have weather protection in case you get caught going on a patrol or something.

I guess you could have a short woolen cloak to take for temporary protection, or a hooded wool jacket/shirt.

One other thing, if you're a fan of wearing a cloak all the time, then be prepared that this will likely be a long cloak. Many have issues with long cloaks and moving in the woods. My thought was for this cloak to be used solely as a weather protector, and to double as a tarp.
For those who don't like long cloaks, you can always carry this one rolled up over your shoulder or something until needed.

If anyone can remember my other thread about cloaks, where I mentioned a rectangular cloak like an un-stitched poncho, the problem with it was that I'm not sure it can be used well like a tarp, as there would be a slit down the middle of one edge to the center where the hood would be. A semicircular cloak would provide a greater unbroken surface area, but remember that it is a semicircle, i.e. rounded except for one edge.

How would they fit together?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:Anyone know of anyplace that supplies grey canvas?

Pete, I'd take you up on that, but I've got too many irons in the fire right now to dive into a project of that magnitude.
Exactly the reason I put the offer out there. That and I can't use a sewing machine to save my life and I'd have to handstitch the whole thing.

The canvas I have is a canvas dropcloth 12'x15' and would be more than enough for such a project. It's the eggshell color one, but it could easily be dyed.

Sam, as far as how they'd fit together, by buttoning one to the other. Buttoning the two together would give you a full circle of material, then by use of a wood framework you could achieve the desired shape conical or dome like depending on the materials at hand. Stiff branches for a teepee, willow like for your "biodome".
Arik Estus

Post by Arik Estus »

Referencing fires and tents etc. Here is an interesting site that has lots of info
that can be used for upgrading Ranger skills. http://www.survivaltopics.com/
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Peter Remling wrote:
Greg wrote:Anyone know of anyplace that supplies grey canvas?

Pete, I'd take you up on that, but I've got too many irons in the fire right now to dive into a project of that magnitude.
Exactly the reason I put the offer out there. That and I can't use a sewing machine to save my life and I'd have to handstitch the whole thing.
Hmmm. Let me see what I have in the way of dyes in the area and I'll get back to you. Would you have any personal color requests?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.