Any Modern Boots That Kinda Fit The look?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Any Modern Boots That Kinda Fit The look?

Post by Willrett »

I know that in the Ranger Apprentice books they used a oak leaf for the ranger corp, also I believe that was the cloak clasps from the movie as well. So what If we used a green leaf base with the star on top.

I will post a very badly and quickly done version of what I mean you all you smart talented people can figure out how to make it look good if you like the idea. And its done with paint and copy/paste.
Attachments
oak leaf.jpg
oak leaf.jpg (19.3 KiB) Viewed 13968 times
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

On the subject of modern boots that *somewhat* *kinda*...At a distance?... look period/ Tolkienesque..I have to say its hard to beat, IMHO, an Ariat, Justin or Wolverine pull-on/wellington boot,With a proper heel, not the wedge heel wannabes :lol: these things are very comfortable to walk or ride in:

http://www.ariat.com/products_detail.as ... =15&pid=34

http://www.justinboots.com/boots/Non_Steel_Toe.html

http://www.wolverineworldwide.com/Shop/ ... &BrandID=7

Once these things get wore in they dont look bad with ME clothing, I would go with the Ariat or justin for durability The wolverines are comfortable but they fall apart sooner than the Justin or Ariat, in my experience, but the ariat and justin will be heavier.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Waugh23

Post by Waugh23 »

Nice post! this is my first post and i am new on this forums. I like to say that there is many good ideas i have, i think that there is if you want to use then you can try to chippewa boots, minnetonka moccasins and also nocona boots. thanks for this.
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

My Advice.......

Save up a bit.....order customs from Armlann....

First rate work and service.

He also did not charge me custom prices.....I had a double closure viking boot made into a 16" tall boot, with 3 closures and a small heel made.....he only charged me the price for the normal boot.....even though it WAS a custom job.

Find a way to cut something trivial out each day....and before you know it.....you will have a proper pair of customs in the woods!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
jbook

Post by jbook »

Here are the boots that I wear. They are from the 1750's but look unique enough that I think they look perfect for middle earth. Mine are black as apposed to the brown color in the photo.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/fug1/catalog ... eecde6a8f6

here is a second shoe made by the same company

http://www.mcssl.com/store/fug1/catalog ... 1e02bbcc17
jbook

Post by jbook »

Just a note on the "Stitch counting". I am a historical reenactor first and foremost. I attend events to enjoy the experience what that time period would have been like and also to hopefully educate the general public about our history and where we came from. I think at a historical reenactment there needs to be a balance. Some guys may be just starting out. As long as they are working towards getting better gear/clothing then more power to them. But I feel in a historical situation when you are trying to educate people to the best of your ability you need to pay attention to authenticity and documentation.

As Middle-Earth citizens, I feel we need to maintain a level of authentic looking clothing. After all Tolkien based so much of his writings on real history. I feel we owe it to him (our creator if you will) to do it to the best of our ability. As long as we are all striving to look better and buy or make more authentic looking items to add to our kit then I think we are doing okay.

NOTE: I do not want anything I say to be taken the wrong way. I feel I am making friends on this forum and I do not want to cause an argument with anyone.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Nothing you said was offensive in any way; no worries. Now, if you'd come out and said "People whose shirts have 7 instead of 8 stitches per inch do not belong in a Civil War Reenactment", we'd have a problem. As it stands, I think what you said was said well.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Agreed! I think it was well said. And yes, if you are reenacting, then LOOK THE PART!!! I've just seen and heard of folks that have gone way overboard. I've even heard them say things like, "If you can't afford $1000 worth of gear and clothing up front, then you don't need to be here." Those are the guys I have a problem with.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Eric C wrote:"If you can't afford $1000 worth of gear and clothing up front, then you don't need to be here."
If you CAN afford $1000 worth of gear and clothing up front, then you're going to look EXACTLY like everyone else because everything will be bought straight from a production-level company, and there will be absolutely NO character or personalization to your kit. If you can afford $1000 worth of gear and clothing up front, YOU don't need to be here.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:
Eric C wrote:"If you can't afford $1000 worth of gear and clothing up front, then you don't need to be here."
If you CAN afford $1000 worth of gear and clothing up front, then you're going to look EXACTLY like everyone else because everything will be bought straight from a production-level company, and there will be absolutely NO character or personalization to your kit. If you can afford $1000 worth of gear and clothing up front, YOU don't need to be here.

Ahh! You guys just dashed my hopes of being on the cover of RQ (Ranger's Quarterly).
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

This is a nice and informative thread. Lots of good information here. After reading through it, I am learning much. :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.