Any tunic patterns?

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Any tunic patterns?

Post by Eric C »

I'm looking to replace my shirts- that are wearing out- before the Highland games this April. A nice tunic would be great. Anybody got a good pattern/tutorial they would like to see stickied? There is another option, but this particular member has not posted yet so I'll let her chime in as she will.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Any tunic patterns?

Post by E.MacKermak »

http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/content/ga ... _tunic.php - a good easy to use tutorial from the Dagorhir site; pretty well researched
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great pattern, Mac! I will have to try that.

Eric, I have made a couple of shirts just by using my old original shirt as a pattern. I just used some brown paper to make the pattern and then cut the pieces out.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

NICE!!! I didn't read anything about material, so I am assuming linen, wool, maybe cotton, leather if you can find a deal on it. Am I in the ballpark here?

Ken, it doesn't hurt to have some shirts in your wardrobe, so I'll have to use that idea.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Sam
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Sam »

Is there any practical reason to have your tunic that length? It looks easy enough to shorten.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Good question. . . Any answers?
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

The pattern is an Anglo-Norman pattern so linen and wool are right. The length can be adjusted longer or shorter as desired. I usually make mine about knee length or a little longer since I play an 8th c Saxon in the SCA...once it is belted it reaches to just above the knee. For shirts that I wear under a tunic, I cut them short, just below the waist.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Anorwen

Post by Anorwen »

in general, I would recommend the simple T tunic with side and centre front and back gores, as the one from the mentioned tutorial. I always use it in a few variations for our Great Moravia reenactment garments (Central Europe, 9th century AD). you can see such tunics on my website in the section SLOVANIA, which is available only in slovak language, but the pictures do not need translation ;)

but for LOTR purposes I would make some adjustments for a better fit. I would cut the armholes slightly round, the shoulder seam slightly declined from neck to arm. and the upper sleeve edge should have the shape of a low gaussian curve.
the rest can be left unchanged.
but personally I think that the centre front and back gores are not necessary, the tunic is wide enough without them, too.

I know this may sound complicated without pictures, but I have not yet any drawn. if you are interested, I could draw some (but this would taake some time).

if you think about hand sewing, I can only agree wit that. the dress will be more personalized (especially with your own blood on it }:-)).
I have written a short article about hand stitches in 9th century for our slovak living history forum. it can be found here: http://livinghistory.sk/web.php?cl=stehy
it is again in slovak, but maybe the pictures will be helpfull.
there is also an article about fur sewing stitches from a woman who sews fur-coats:
http://livinghistory.sk/web.php?cl=kozusnicke_stehy
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Anorwen:

The article showing how to stitch up fur is particularly interesting to me as I cut out a pair of fur lined wool mittens over a year ago and still have them on my "projects to finish pile".

Thanks, Pete
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Anorwen wrote: SLOVANIA, which is available only in slovak language, but the pictures do not need translation ;)

I know this may sound complicated without pictures, but I have not yet any drawn. if you are interested, I could draw some (but this would taake some time).

if you think about hand sewing, I can only agree wit that. the dress will be more personalized (especially with your own blood on it }:-)).
I have written a short article about hand stitches in 9th century for our slovak living history forum. it can be found here: http://livinghistory.sk/web.php?cl=stehy
it is again in slovak, but maybe the pictures will be helpfull.
there is also an article about fur sewing stitches from a woman who sews fur-coats:

http://livinghistory.sk/web.php?cl=kozusnicke_stehy
That's okay. Some people don't think I can read English either. So pictures are a good thing. :mrgreen:

The pictures in the articles are somewhat self-explanitory. I'd love to see some drawings when you get the chance to draw them up.