two new pouches

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

two new pouches

Post by Frothgar »

made these today:

Dice Bag-

the line is 3 ply hemp braid. the dice are modern until i can find some bone ones at a Renn faire or something. considering drawing a pattern or something on the surface of the bag, make it a part of a dice game.

Rune Bag-

Im going to start learning the meanings of the Elder Futhark runes. as a way to gain perspective on desicions, not in a religious manner.

Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: two new pouches

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice job, remember leather work is addicting :lol:
Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Frothgar »

seriously, it is.

i keep looking for things to make cases for.
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Good work! No doubts on the addiction bit. I've got a load of leather projects currently under way or stacked up to do. Winter is a great time for it.

Findesilmë
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I agree about the addiction. The good thing about knife making is that sheaths go with knives. Thus there is a good reason to do leatherwork. I still need to post pics of the haversack I made for Reta. I'd like to make one for myself and my son now. Then there's the quivver Greg sent me the leather to make. Lots of fun in store. If it rains tomorrow, I may just clear the kitchen table and do some leatherwork!

Nice pouches. Very simple in construction, yet very useful. That's how a ranger's gear should operate, methinks.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Very nice pouches! My rule of thumb when I am making ranger gear is that it is put together in such a way that lends to the easiest repair in the field as possible, and that if needed can serve another purpose as well. So, my quiver is made so that all straps and ties come loose for other uses, and the quiver can be used for carrying items as well. More pics please! Love seeing other folk's kits!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Ok i have one and a half new pouches done but I cheated. :roll:
I had a old vinyl sun glass case that is about 8h x 3w so I cut it in half. The top portion already had a long string for tieing it up so I just sewed the bottom of it. The second halve is already sewed at the bottom but I'm not sure what the best method of laceing would be. It is not a super heavy material so I dont just want to put holes in the bag.

I will post pics as soon as I find my memory card. One bag will hold a flint/steel, sharpening stone and small bottle of solution.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Here of my pics of these. for the second one that i needed a some type of closure setup I used some eyelets. I found a cheap set of leather punch, eyelet pliers with eyelets, and grommet pliers with grommets. The coins are 2 quarters and 2 nickels, I know I'm a high roller.

"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Quick suggestion, next time turn your piece inside out then sew it up, when you turn it back right side out your excess material will be concealed on the inside.

Starting with things around the house already keeps your cost way down and lets you build up confidence. I always try to do things simpler than norm with everyday items, for that very reason.

:)