On the planning of outings

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Thalion of Bree
Dúnadan

On the planning of outings

Post by Thalion of Bree »

So how far out is it usually smart to plan an outing? It's obviously way too hot right now, especially where I am in the central southeast of the US, but I don't want to propose an outing so far in advance that people forget about it. Any tips?
-Thalion, Thontaur's son
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: On the planning of outings

Post by Peter Remling »

At least 3 months. Start with an intro to where and when. You will not get a consensus on the when. Don't offer multiple dates, you will never get agreement by everyone, so don't try. If you have a spot you plan on having your event, post pictures if you can. Advise what is available in the area: 2 grocery stores within 10 miles, Hospital 5 miles away, etc. If the site has cabins available or is it tents only. Let everyone know if mosquitos or other insects/pests are in the area. If you plan on a potluck dinner or everyone fends for themselves. Is the site dry or wet (both H20 and C 2 H 5 OH).
Thalion of Bree
Dúnadan

Post by Thalion of Bree »

Thanks, Peter. Glad to have more seasoned rangers to bounce questions off of!
-Thalion, Thontaur's son
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Peter Remling wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:10 pm Is the site dry or water (both H20 and C 2 H 5 OH).
very important LOL :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Late sorry.

A lot depends on who is attending and the event itself. We can organise a local event with our core members within a week or two as we know that all our kit and skills are on the same level but if we plan one several hours away in the snow with attendees we haven't had out on the trail with us then that takes a much longer lead in time as we need to do gear checks, ensure that people are fit enough and have warm enough clothing.

As a good rule of thumb I aim for three months out for a bigger event. First step is a facebook event with a briefing as thorough as I can give. I set a a firm RSVP date of one month with no concessions and leave the actual activities undefined until I get the full numbers in. At that time I'll determine what we do and release that to the confirmed attendees.
If it's all people in the right gear we may do one or multiple nights under the stars but if we get some beginners or those who may struggle kit wise then we would limit to day walks and activities.

As Peter said, it's really important to set and stick to your dates and be as thorough as possible in your briefing. I would just add that you must remember that you're there to have an enjoyable event too and that a limit should be set on the work you have to do to organise the event.

It's for my living history group but here is the briefing sheet I did up this weekend for an upcoming trip into the mountains, it may be useful?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HVa ... drive_link
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.