Leather Pouches from scraps. Video Tutorial.

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

redhandfilms
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Leather Pouches from scraps. Video Tutorial.

Post by redhandfilms »

This is my first DIY video for making ranger gear. Here you'll see how to make a leather pouch from random scraps of leather. I get a $5 bag of scraps from Tandy Leather and show you the whole process. These scrap pouches are great, cheap beginner projects, especially good for anyone just starting out. No fancy stamping, carving, or tooling, but the kind of thing a ranger might make sitting around the fire at night.
Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/xl-0AALfWWI
Eofor
Haeropada

Re: Leather Pouches from scraps. Video Tutorial.

Post by Eofor »

Video is quite well done, spacing and time lapses all work well.

I notice you have quite a nice leather working toolbox. You could consider doing a small video explaining the tools and what's required there as your average novice may be looking at the bare minimum setup they would need to make something like you.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
redhandfilms
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by redhandfilms »

A good point on the tools. I suppose I didn't really think too much about it because it's just a cheap sewing kit from amazon. Just some punches, needle, thread, and an exacto knife are all you really need.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Here's an old post that covers a few leather tool hacks:

Being that you are starting with basics, remember not everyone can afford to jump into new hobbies, particularly this one where there are so many crafts and skill sets. I'd recommend some hacks would be useful. For instance for leather work:

Take a kitchen fork, cut the tines down to 1/2", cut the handle down so the total length is about 5-6", use either a hammer or a vice and flatten the fork down so that the tines are in a direct line with the handle. Sharpen the tines evenly to a chisel point. You now have an inexpensive stitching chisel. Use cloth pins for leather working clamps, a wood meat mallet for you punch mallet. If you don't have a wooden/plastic/rubber mallet, use a regular hammer but fold over and tape a piece of leather over the head on the hammer. The leather will keep the hammer from skipping when you strike and give you clean strikes.