New Kingston Arms swords!

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Re: New Kingston Arms swords!

Post by Wilhelm »

Those are both very nice. I really like the arming sword.
Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Barandir »

The XIV is the perfect size for carrying convenience while still being long enough to not be a “short sword”, so still long enough to match the sidearms of the average orc or bandit.
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Barandir wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:45 pm The XIV is the perfect size for carrying convenience while still being long enough to not be a “short sword”, so still long enough to match the sidearms of the average orc or bandit.
My blade is a 24" messer type blade. I really like the length for actually spending time in the wilds. I'm also really liking the messer style of fighting. At the school where I train, I try and spar longswords every chance I get, using a messer. Foot work as well as keeping time and place are crucial. I find my self binding and changing the line more often. Not easy, but I feel that, whatever your choice of blade may be, you have to train with that blade and train against other weapons.

Also, do you use a belt grinder when sharpening sword size blades?

Thanks
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Andy I agree with your assessment on training with your blade of choice, I currently don’t have a school but want to get into it once I sort out some other life priorities.

As for sharpening sword sized blades, I actually have no experience doing so. I have extensive experience sharpening my own knives by hand for work (I’ve been both a chef and a butcher), but never anything bigger than those and my tomahawks. I’ve owned a WorkSharp in the past, and the plan is to get a new one with the attachment for sharpening large blades and use that for my swords.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

Barandir wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:02 pm Andy I agree with your assessment on training with your blade of choice, I currently don’t have a school but want to get into it once I sort out some other life priorities.

As for sharpening sword sized blades, I actually have no experience doing so. I have extensive experience sharpening my own knives by hand for work (I’ve been both a chef and a butcher), but never anything bigger than those and my tomahawks. I’ve owned a WorkSharp in the past, and the plan is to get a new one with the attachment for sharpening large blades and use that for my swords.
Which worksharp do you have? I have the belt sander one and it worked great on my sax and my tomahawk. I have been worried about using it on my sword. So my question is do they make an attachment for that one?
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

I have the regular one. The attachment goes with the Ken Onion one

Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

Barandir wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:00 pm I have the regular one. The attachment goes with the Ken Onion one
Ok, I got really excited.