Design for Dwarf Seax

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Design for Dwarf Seax

Post by caedmon »

Hey All,

I forged a chunky broke-back seax that screams dwarf to me. Trying to figure out how to finish/decorate the handle. Thinking of going with some WETA inspired geometric designs, paired with migration era garnet jewelry squares. Thoughts?

dwarf_knife.jpg
dwarf_knife.jpg (242.8 KiB) Viewed 19750 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Design for Dwarf Seax

Post by caedmon »

Inked the design onto the handle

dwarf_knife.jpg
dwarf_knife.jpg (235.67 KiB) Viewed 19728 times
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Gulli
Dúnadan

Post by Gulli »

Hello! I think it's a fertile field you uncovered here. The cell structure of cloisonné and tauschierung is great idea to carve there. I would have one suggestion and it would be to make sure that the borders of your design, where it's cut off, are in logical place, like in corners of those central squares. It would look much more intentional. Its hard to do, especially on non regular surface, but you are up to something.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Gulli wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:19 am ...I would have one suggestion and it would be to make sure that the borders of your design, where it's cut off, are in logical place, like in corners of those central squares. It would look much more intentional. Its hard to do, especially on non regular surface...
Gulli, good point. I think I can do it by putting the pattern at a 45% angle, but I was afraid that might be a bit boring. I'll see what I can do.
-Jack Horner

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That looks like it's going to be exquisite! Are you doing the inlay as well?

(For what it's worth, I don't think the 45 degree offset would be boring at all)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Oh, how exciting! I’m eager to see the final result!
I’ve been thinking a lot about Dwarven design motifs lately, and how much I love the geometric hard-angles that Weta leaned into, but how I also love a lot of more intricate intertwining Norse and Saxon influenced designs, and in the end I think I’ve begun to form an idea of Dwarven aesthetics that is much less monolithic than what we’ve seen previously - and that would make sense, because there are a lot of Dwarves scattered around Middle-earth in related, but ultimately fairly insular communities, and it stands to reason that each one would have developed its own sense of style. Like, perhaps the Dwarves of Moria leaned more heavily into the blocky, angular aesthetic, and the Dwarves of Erebor more into the intricate knotwork and such (or vice-versa, which might actually make more sense, because of the pillars in Khazad-dum being wrought in the likeness of trees), and then the Iron Hills Dwarves maybe into more zoomorphic designs, etc.

Anyway, this is coming along beautifully! Please make sure to share the final product when it’s done!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

caedmon wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:26 am Inked the design onto the handle
That helps a lot with the visualization thanks. Which parts are you considering doing in garnet?
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Barandir »

Manveruon wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:25 pm I’ve been thinking a lot about Dwarven design motifs lately, and how much I love the geometric hard-angles that Weta leaned into, but how I also love a lot of more intricate intertwining Norse and Saxon influenced designs, and in the end I think I’ve begun to form an idea of Dwarven aesthetics that is much less monolithic than what we’ve seen previously - and that would make sense, because there are a lot of Dwarves scattered around Middle-earth in related, but ultimately fairly insular communities, and it stands to reason that each one would have developed its own sense of style. Like, perhaps the Dwarves of Moria leaned more heavily into the blocky, angular aesthetic, and the Dwarves of Erebor more into the intricate knotwork and such (or vice-versa, which might actually make more sense, because of the pillars in Khazad-dum being wrought in the likeness of trees), and then the Iron Hills Dwarves maybe into more zoomorphic designs, etc.
I have a Dwarven persona idea cooking in the back of my head myself and really like the idea of combining some of the hard-angle WETA design elements with more Eastern European/Rus designs personally; I think that will be a very strong influence in my persona look whenever I get around to it.
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That looks like it will be awesome, which ever design you choose :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.