Acid stains for maple.

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Acid stains for maple.

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I have been doing some homework on Aqua Fortis stains in preparation for a scabbard project. I've read Jim Hrouslas recipe in 'Master Bladesmith' and the staining advice of Peter Alexander in 'The Gunssmith of Grenville county' and from this thread: http://www.knifedogs.com/showthread.php?p=45907 which I found doing a web search.

I decided to try the plum brown recipe, using birchwood casey plum brown browning solution and dissolving steel wool as well as bristles from a brass wire brush, to add some yellow hues/ this was based on P. Alexanders book above, and he had gleaned it from colonial Williamsburg. I just added steel wool and brass bristles until they didnt dissolve anymore and let it set a bit.

I'm including pictures of my test peices. both stained with full strength solution, but with different amounts of heat applied, the darker peice was heated over a hot plate, and got too dark so it was rubbed back with fine steel wool, on the piece in the top pic which is lighter I applied the solution to the wood after warming it a bit on the hot plate and simply let it set in direct sunlight, it was amazing to watch the color start to pop. Both a finished with Spar Varnish from Ace hardware, I really like the amber tint of this varnish

I'm still learning and experimenting so if anyone has any tips or advice feel free to post your expertise as well, I'll be grateful. 8) I want to get this right when it matters.

the solution was neutralized with a paste made from water and baking soda
Attachments
050500951646[00].jpg
050500951646[00].jpg (56.27 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
050500951105[00].jpg
050500951105[00].jpg (59.9 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Acid stains for maple.

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Here is a slightly better pic of the darker test peice
Attachments
050500951756[00].jpg
050500951756[00].jpg (81.59 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That looks really nice! I can't wait to see it applied to the project you are planning.

I am planning to start experimenting a lot in the very near future. I am hoping to start working on different forge techniques and different styles of knives.

But more relevant to this particular thread, I'm hoping to start experimenting with different finishes/protectorants (is that a word?) for the handles and sheaths of my knives and various leather products. I was thinking of beeswax though, not acid. I wonder how your acid stain would look on walnut?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Thats a good question, Eric, I've been wondering about that myself. I think I have seen Aqua Fortis stained walnut but I cant remember where it was. My uneducated guess is that depending on the length of the heat time it could go from a reddish brown to a real deep mahogany to black...Now you've got me wanting to play with some walnut scrap :lol:

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~