A splendid source of horn!

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

A splendid source of horn!

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

For hunting horns, powderhorns, drinkin' horns and horn utensils I am proud to submit this company for your consideration: http://www.powderhornsandmore.com/index.html See the 'Polished Cowhorn' section. I bought two absolutely beautiful horns from them. I had my horns within two days packed well and as advertised.

The horns are one offs stock is available as it comes, these are a very high quality horn and in the descriptions you get vital information such as whether the horn is suitable for carving, the carry side of the horn, and the shape of the base and a very accurate description of the coloring. And the prices cant be beat! I'm extremely excited to have discovered this company and wanted to pass this along.

~RD
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: A splendid source of horn!

Post by Mirimaran »

Excellent site! I have already bookmarked it and hope to get some funds soon to order some horn. I especially like the salt horn, neat idea. Have you looked at the customer gallery? Great work there!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: A splendid source of horn!

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

"Have you looked at the customer gallery?"

Yes indeed! There is alot of excellent inspiration there! When you buy a horn from them you get an application for the Honourable Company of Horners, there is some great talent there as well. While alot of the art is geared towards towards the colonial era alot of those skills and techniques can be turned to Medieval/ middle earth handcraft as well.

This is kind of OT but i've been studying alot of wood and horn working techniques of the 18th century in preparation for a scabbard project that I want "just so"...And I've got to say one can definitely learn alot from the various horners and longrifle/smoothbore makers on subject ranging from carving, wood and metal finishing, engraving, metal to wood and metal to metal to metal inlays and while I'm a dyed in the wool sword man, I've began taking notes and building a small library on longrifle decoration because it carries over well to scabbards and hilt fittings, and encompasses everything from woodwork to jeweling skills to blacksmithing...Awesome stuff and well worth a study 8)

Apologies for the ramble :oops:
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~