First attempt axe frog.

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

First attempt axe frog.

Post by Willrett »

Well since I had a little free time today I worked on a few projects. I finished the pouches posted on another topic and then I worked made a frog for my axe. I started with a leather pouch that is used for tool belts. This will be what I use on my upcoming hiking trip. I walked around with it and it moves with me pretty well so I'm pretty happy.

Front

Back

Axe Hanging.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: First attempt axe frog.

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice simple design- way to go.

You might want to make a blade cover for the edge, a blade like that can cut deep without one, in a fall.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I didn't get to it today but its in the works. Hopefully one evening this week.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Good work Willrett! :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Lookin' good, buddy!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurthir
Wanderer

Post by Taurthir »

Great work!
"Let us together rebuild this world that we may share in the days of peace."
Taurthir of the Forest Guard. Yes my cloak needs some darkening
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great job!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Please.....cover that blade.....

Brother we need all the Rangers we can get.....losing a hand or a deep cut in the leg can be rough at the best of times....
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Cinead,
Thanks, that gave me a pause there also.

I have seen Fr&I & Am Rev Rangers with their hawks simply tucked through their belts, but with a simple sheath covering the edge.

I made two sheathes based off the type found from Panther Primitves and Jas. Townsend & Sons, Inc. Sorry no pictures. I'm a little challenged that way.

Seems to me a metal-ringed frog would allow to much movement or swaying of the ax. Would be intrested to hear others experience or opinions.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I agree with beornman, those ring frogs would beat your leg to death, and allow for a little too much jump. But you done a good job getting the frog together, Will 8) And if it suits you thats all that matters.

I've toyed with the idea of making a belt frog that fitted closer to the belt with a bit of a cant much like the axe rides when carried in the belt @ the small of the back. I dont mean to sound argumentative but I really dont see a point in covering the edge when carried this way as the axe head will hook over the belt and lay somewhat flat, I fell backwards once landing on my axe and didnt get cut carrying this way, I guess the potential is there but I dont fret it much.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I have thought about it bouncing around on my leg but it didnt seem to be to bad for the little walking I did with it on. It moves but almost with my leg not beating against it. The cover is done i will post pics if I get a chance.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Ok its been done for awhile but here is the pics of the cover.

The way its tied I can flip it off with my thumb pretty easily and if I need to. The bottom cord is way long than it needs to be but its there just in case I need it.
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Nice blade cover there! Always better to be safe than sorry!