Small kit update and some projects (updated w/ pics)

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Small kit update and some projects (updated w/ pics)

Post by Frothgar »

got some photos of new parts of kit.

Leather jerkin- came out well for first attempt. need to make a shirt for under in in winter. dyed it brown, looks green under flourescent lighting though. might redy to make it darker anyway. it was orginally the color of the possible bag

Axe- Modified Cold steel axe. yard stick is next to it for comparison.

Possibles pouch- small bag that i may give to a friend. still needs button. too small for what i needed it for. might use it for a sling stone bag though.

bedroll- canvas outer shell, wool bag interior. tested it last weekend. stayed warm in fairly cold night in NH. making a cotton liner for it, to keep wool bag clean.

Projects to do- to many to list. but ill put a few of the prominent ones.

- whistle out of a dear antler
- new shield, canvas covered, rawhide rimmed, Targe
- leather straps, one fort snapsack, one for bedroll, one for food bag.
- Snapsack, soon as i get some brown canvas
- sandals, improve on my first attempt
- mocassins
- matching leather cuffs, going to try to bake harden them. waxing works kind of but it gets to pliable in regular summer heat.
- strike-a-light bags (5), for my Dagorhir Rangers
- Kilt, made with heavy canvas, durable.
- a bunch of other assorted garb.
- new cloak, gray, wool canvas.

Frothgar
Last edited by Frothgar on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Small kit update and some projects

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

looks good!
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice, I particularly like the long hafted axe.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

looks great cant wait to see more pics.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I been meaning to make an antler whistle for a while...looking forward to seeing how yours comes out.

I guess I really need to get a little more work done on my kit...everyone else is leaving me behind.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Well done! Very nice stuff. Bonus points for including a yardstick...and outdoing it!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

There are always more projects than time! Good work, as usual!
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Nice, keep the photos coming!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

More pics please! And that axe is awesome!!!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Frothgar

Post by Frothgar »

Thanks everyone,

Props go to Panday for inspiring the modifications made to the axe.
http://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.or ... 55&start=0

i havent tested it yet, hope to soon.

today im starting on my shield, and probably the snap sack as well, since ill be using the same canvas for both. might even get a sole on the sandals. so little to do and so much time.

ill try to get some complete kit pictures up for you all.

Frothgar
-Cimmerian proverb
Frothgar

Post by Frothgar »

shield is finished. very happy with it. canvas faced, rawhide edge. targe style.

my problem now is i have a fricken' huge axe and a pair of tomahawks. the tomahawks could work with the shield but id like a middle ground weapon. got a wall hanger axe that would do at home, but id like something live.

pics to come.

Frothgar
-Cimmerian proverb
Frothgar

Post by Frothgar »

here are some more pics. i apologize in advance for the inordinately goofy faces im making.

this first one has my new shield, long shafted(teehee) axe, jerkin, and my cloak. the shield is plywood, canvas covered and painted black. the edging is rawhide soaked in coffee to give it that color, and is secured by paired carpet tacks. the axe is resting on the ground on that shot to give you an idea of how big it is(teehee). my cloak is a very simple retangular celtic style Brat. it is rolled up with the cloak pin inside it. the ends are secured with a bit of hemp line. it is made from cotton canvas, will upgrade to wool soon. keep it over the shoulder for heat reasons, in bad weather i would unfurl it and it would be worn over all my gear.

this one shows the back of the shield, i folded a piece of felt over itself about 4 times for the arm padding. the straps are held by folded over roofing nails. that is the part i am least happy with. i did not have the tools to make more professional rivits. i used a commercial wood staain on the plywood to help with water proofing.

You can see my new cuffs i made up that day, i may try dying them a darker brown. on my belt is my survival carry set up, all the stuff i feel i really need in an in-character survival situation. my knife is on my right hip and my essentials bag on the other. my essentials bag is just flint, steel, tinder, charcloth, and a bit of hemp string. the axe is not a part of my base carry, but it looks good and is a part of my regular travel/patrol carry.

Frothgar

Also, my roomate does all the decorating, other than Ansel Adams i know none f those people on my wall.
-Cimmerian proverb
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Looking every bit the fierce Cimmerian warrior!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

To reflect (and perhaps add to) the sentiments of the previous post...looking every bit the dwarf, my good sir! And NO ONE has EVER questioned the courage of the dwarves...

EXCELLENT work. Absolutely excellent.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Great pics thanks for sharing.

After seeing the second pic with the back of the shield, I think you need another ax about shoulder height. It looks really really bad @$$ in that pic.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"