Glasses....

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elegost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Glasses....

Post by Elegost »

Does anyone here wear Glasses? They sure are anoying...I mean not very period are they? Sadly i can't wear contacts nor afford laser eye corection.... I mean I can see without them but not clearly so I can't really enjoy nature ect. :|
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Glasses....

Post by Peter Remling »

I'm near sighted and generally wear glasses. I do have a good many pair of contacts (thanks eye insurance plan) for use when going to an event.

They can be a pain as once the contacts are in I can't see closeup, so maps and event programs are one big blur, but I look good while walking into trees or the wrong rest room. :lol:
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

I wear glasses, no-line bifocal's. So contacts are out for me as well. I need them most when reading or in front of the computer. I could get away without wearing them outside, but then I just squint a lot and I don't want to end up as a squinty-eyed southerner.

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Thanks for the replys! I'm glad I'm not the only one!
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Alas! I have succumbed to "ole fokes eyes", and am forced to wear reading glasses. I really could use bifocals actually, as my regular sight ain't what it used to be either. Back when I was young (and dinosaurs walked the earth!) I could read the fine print off a bottle of aspirin from across the room. Now, (the shame and horror!) I need two pairs of reading glasses to thread a needle! :lol:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Both my wife and I wear glasses. I actually wear no-line bifocals now but still wear my old prescription sunglasses. Here I am at faire last year in Ranger mode, and in my shades 8)

I do take them off for pics, but usually I forget I have them on lol
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

I think I'm just gonna wear them on treks ect, as hey we can try and be period but without glasses I miss the beautiful scenery! Obviously for pics and when making my Fan film I won't wear them. But yes I feel better now to know that ther are many other Rangers who have Glasses.

-Chris
David

Post by David »

I wear glasses as well, and only very recently got contacts again. I've resigned myself to the fact that I would much rather see where I'm going than look cool and/or period in a photo. =)
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I wear glasses as well....sometimes...True story: last time I went to get my licesnse renewed I almost didnt get them because I had forgot my glasses :oops: Next time I'll probably restricted to glasses....The lady asked me how I had managed to drive without glasses I just told her "Baby, its just another example of a handi-capable man doing extraordinary things...if we're done here I have to go write a condolence letter to family of that old woman I ran over last week".... :lol: ...Those people just love me :mrgreen:
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Sam

Post by Sam »

Yeah, I have glasses for distance. When I can afford it, I'm going to Thailand for laser correction. I've tried contacts but my eyes really don't like them. It's such a pain to wear glasses when out trekking or doing sports. Just one more thing to carry/worry about on the trail.
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Yeah I have them for distance too, my close ups fine, It often makes me think about what it must have been like it the middle ages and such without glasses.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I wear glasses, bifocals although you cannot tell by looking at them. You can have your lenses inserted into an 18th century frame if that helps.

I can use contacts at times but really, I can see without glasses, just not clearly at distance. I can pick up movement though, boy howdy you bet.

Not everyone can wear contacts. Glasses are a necessary 'evil' for some folk.

Siani
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I wear glasses. They are necessary for driving and if I am doing much reading. But I can still see things at a distance. I can't really read things at a distance. I have not tried much archery without them.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
BrianBlass
Wayfarer

Post by BrianBlass »

Elegost wrote:Yeah I have them for distance too, my close ups fine, It often makes me think about what it must have been like it the middle ages and such without glasses.
If you think about that exact question from the perspective of genetics, individuals with poor eyesight would have most likely died in the Middle Ages before reaching the age to procreate, thus the genetic trait that would select for poor eyesight would be relatively low in the population at the time.

Over the ages, however, technology has stepped up and allowed those of us (me included) with awful eyesight to still function on a day to day basis, thus the genetic trait that selects for poor eyesight has been allowed to prosper in the populace.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

If you have to wear glasses I would recommend you get a pair of 18th C frames and have your modern perscription put in the frames....walmart will do it...

I know...not "period" I know....but it will fit in rather well......

Frames:
http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=166

Just my two shillings!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.