Back Packs...

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Sam,

that pack is one of the most Hobbit looking packs I've seen. I'd love to have one of those.

Most of these packs can be altered just a bit to take any modern looking hardware off.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Sam
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Sam »

This is the vinyl version of the swiss engineer's rucksack isn't it? I was looking at it, they are going for a good price, and are fairly easy to find, but decided not to as it is fairly pricey to order internationally, considering the material isn't exactly "period".

It looks great for practice, and to just get out there, I think it is a solid pack. The leather straps and frame are a nice bonus. This is like the one posted earlier that was spray painted.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I got the German Mountain rucksack Sam posted about. I've used it as is so far and I like it. A lot. Good for women due to the way the shoulder straps attach to the bag.

All the webbing is polyester or polyester-cotton so I'm removing all of it. I'll keep the shape and style of shoulder strap but they'll be linen lined leather with layered wool padding in them. Naturally the straps will be leather and I'm fabricating the buckles from brass stock. Also going to remove the vinyl flap liner and replace that with oilcloth.

I've only just begun removing the webbing and that will take a few days, then I can kick in with the rest of it.

This is looking to be a good project and I expect I'll enjoy it.

Siani
Nandalad!
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Make sure you post pics.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I finally caved today.

I'm still a die-hard bedroller, but I've finally given up on finding ways to carry everything I use on longer trips in a bedroll.

My bedroll is blanket with toggles down one side to close it over me so I don't throw it off while asleep. Basically an archaic sleeping bag with an extra layer sewed onto the bottom with an open end for stuffing leaves, etc. into to keep me up off the ground. Problem is, for colder nights, I decided to cut the tail off of that kangaroo hide I had and I use that as an additional layer because it was a perfect fit. Rolling up 3 layers of wool blanket and kangaroo hide gets a bit thick. It still fits in my straps that hold it up against the side of my quiver, but there's basically no room for anything else in the roll. I've been able to make do carrying my firemaking tools and food reserves in pouches, and my blades remain on my belt, but it's just not enouch. It works, but for longer treks when I want to bring along additional shelter such as the makeshift tarp-tent concept that Stonedog posted a few months back, which is now a favorite of mine, there's just no more room. I even slipped my cooking pot up over the top of my bedroll, but then I wound up with the crazy thing banging onto anything it could find while walking. When moving off-trail through thicker brush, it was like having someone follow me with a cowbell. That is ONE headache I may never recover from.

So I bought one of those Salt&Pepper Swiss rucks today. I'm looking forward to the new possibilities for longer treks. Problem is, like Pete when his daughter's new outfit project started taking shape, I now have 50,000 possibilities running through my head on how to attach my current setup so that within a few minutes of reaching base camp, I can have the ruck off, and have my quiver on my back, bedroll attached, and be ready to move off into the surrounding area for scouting and etc. Curse my addiction to efficiency. Thanks for the pack advice, everyone!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

I just received my Salt and Pepper rucksack today....while used, it is QUALITY!
Sam

Post by Sam »

Great! post a pic when you have it packed!

Do you have it yet? Is it comfortable?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Mine hasn't arrived yet, Sam. The ruck and the Salt&Pepper patterend wool mittens I also bought from the same guy on ebay should be arriving in a day or so. The mittens will be undergoing a transformation for ranger work as well, which I'll elaborate on further soon.
Greg

Post by Greg »

...oh, and when the pack arrives, I'll load that sucker up and take some photos.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Back Packs...

Post by Jonathan B. »

Sorry for the Necro-Post. But what do you all think of this pack? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=713546
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Looks good for the price. I'm not keen on the color, but it's canvas so you can dye it darker without effecting strength. You could dye it lighter by bleaching it but this will weaken the fabric.

It also has loops on the side so you can attach quivers, bedrolls, cloaks or just about anything else easily.

I say give it a go.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Thank you. Those were along the lines I was thinking.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I was looking at those just the other day also. I would prefer to dye it also.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Menelgor
Wayfarer

Post by Menelgor »

I use one suuch as this:
http://shop.oragie.com/images/meshka.gif
but in a greenish/yellow color.