Hair

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Should Ernildhir cut his hair?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 25
Ernildir
Haeropada

Hair

Post by Ernildir »

Okay, so I'm considering whether or not I should get a haircut. I haven't had one for about five years... people keep telling me that it's getting unhealthy and I have too many split-ends. The disadvantage to cutting my hair, though, is that I would no longer be able to put it into really long braids and pretend to be an Elf. I would probably need to cut it to just a few inches longer than shoulder-length, which doesn't allow for a lot of Elvendom.

But you guys have my favorite opinions, so I'll probably go with whatever the general consensus is. Rangers know best.

I'd also appreciate any hair-styles you might suggest if you think I should get it cut. Especially if they are reminiscent of Middle-earth.

Thanks.
Last edited by Ernildir on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Eric C
Vendor

Re: Hair

Post by Eric C »

I voted yes because of the health of the hair. If it were a simple question of "I think your hair is too long," then it's YOUR hair and YOUR decision. But since there are split ends and such, then it wouldn't hurt to get it trimmed up.

I can't grow my hair long. It starts falling out in the back before it gets to shoulder length.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Well, the former soldier in me screams "Get a haircut!" but luckily the Ranger screams "get a modest length trimmed and keep it growing". My wife's hair is past her knees, you know :D
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Mirimaran wrote:Well, the former soldier in me screams "Get a haircut!" but luckily the Ranger screams "get a modest length trimmed and keep it growing". My wife's hair is past her knees, you know :D
Your wife must be amazing. I find it so disconcerting that most women do not have at least waist-length hair. All women need more hair. A lot more hair. They need to be more like your wife.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Consider yourself adopted :D

She is the descendant of Vikings and is very proud of her red hair. Plus when she braids it, it is like a rope and could beat a man to death with it, I'd imagine. Which I have to do while the case is still pending. :)

That's a joke :)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Wow, past the knees and it's red? I love it when women have red hair. I think your wife must have my most favoritest hair in the whole world. :mrgreen:
Ranger of Arthedain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Ernildhir wrote:
Mirimaran wrote:Well, the former soldier in me screams "Get a haircut!" but luckily the Ranger screams "get a modest length trimmed and keep it growing". My wife's hair is past her knees, you know :D
Your wife must be amazing. I find it so disconcerting that most women do not have at least waist-length hair. All women need more hair. A lot more hair. They need to be more like your wife.
What is it with men and red-heads? :lol:

If all women had waist length hair then there would be no uniqueness and originality amongst us. :wink: long hair is cool on anyone, male or female, save for myself; it just takes far too much time and effort to take care of, where as short hair is easy to keep clean and neat!

But, I agree with Ken. Get it trimmed to a modest length and keep it growing. If you get it all chopped off, then that's five years of work gone down the drain. :)
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Red-heads for the win.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Ernildhir wrote:Red-heads for the win.
My daughter has beautiful red hair. It runs on both sides of her family. But I put a ring on the finger of a brunette. :wink:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

i would say just get the split ends trimmed and then keep them away with lots of conditioner, thats what i do,
i've found that leave in conditioner is the best for keeping split ends away
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

I voted yes.. but you don't have to cut it all off.. how long is your hair? I say if it's middle of your back then take about 4" off to take care of split ends but still have good length.. besides, it will then grow a lil faster once you remove the dead ends. After you cut it.. wash it and use a deep conditioner. Just have it wet when you cut it.. but wash and condition after it's cut.. that way the conditioner will penetrate the ends better.

your hair won't be as long but it will still be long enough for braids.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

If it is down the middle of your back, I think you should cut it. At least just shoulder length. I can't quite imagine a ranger having it longer than that :wink:

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

I say just trim it and leave it as long as you can *for* as long as you can. When you're older, the outside world will force you into being more or less "acceptable", and that just bites. Enjoy it while you can!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Dirhael wrote:If it is down the middle of your back, I think you should cut it. At least just shoulder length. I can't quite imagine a ranger having it longer than that :wink:

Aye but he is playing an ELVEN ranger.. elves have longer hair hehe.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

Do what I do--trim it just enough to get rid of the split ends, and yet to have enough to donate to Locks of Love or a similar hair donation charity (usually for chemo patients). About every two years I give away twelve inches. That should still leave you with enough for Ranger hair, if not elf hair, but the nice thing is that the elf hair will come back. :mrgreen:

Aragorn, after all, only had it chin-length until his coronation.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."