SBG back yard test cutting.

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

SBG back yard test cutting.

Post by Willrett »

I just found this pdf on the sbg site. It may be helpful for those of us like me that are new to cutting.

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/suppo ... utting.pdf
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Axemurderer
Wayfarer

Re: SBG back yard test cutting.

Post by Axemurderer »

Yes cutting can be fun. That being said, there are alot of cutting videos on you tube and alot of them are pure BS. If all you want to do is cut stuff in your yard, great. All I ask is that you be carefull and be wary of the swords you cut with. Most swords you can buy cheaply are not really swords at all( they are sword like objects)and are not meant to cut with( in a word they are Dangerous to you and those around you).

I am a teacher ow western Martial Arts(german). and all my students need a fairly good skill set before thsy are allowed to cut. cutting in context is what we want them to know. footwork is all important. Knowing how to cut properly and when to cut, or thrust, or slice, or not that is what is important. Cutting just for cuttings sake is fun, but ultimately just a game.

Mike
Willrett wrote:I just found this pdf on the sbg site. It may be helpful for those of us like me that are new to cutting.

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/suppo ... utting.pdf
Mike Ahrens

Staten Island German Martial Atrs (S.I.G.M.A.)

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Cantius Garand, Reformed (Gas Port)
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Mike, how then do I identify a real sword?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

First off, even I'd start with this article. It's by mine and Mike's favorite WMA author and stand up guy. :P

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_heymister.html

While Mike knows far more then I do on this subject I can tell you a thing or two to get you started. For one thing most cheap swords don't use any kind of reference beyond pictures to make their products. Try to imagine someone trying to make a car by only viewing a 2 dimensional image of one. He may get the appearance kind of right, but it'd be very far from a real car because he'd have never been in one. opened the hood, weighed and measured one, and so on. Without the proper study of originals you really can't make a sword that preforms like a sword should because your going on assumptions and faulty data to draw up your plans. There's so much that goes in to making a sword that escapes the naked eye, so many little minute details that need to be there, that make it what it is and not just a large kitchen knife or crowbar. The swords I'm referring to here are MRL or most swords in the $300 range. Swords lower then that don't even use pictures as reference. Blades made in india or not even a mortar shot away from being swords and are mostly little more then crowbars with edges. Above that even using just pictures for reference is hit or miss. I'll give the floor to Mr Aherns now. A far more knowledgeable person than I.
Winter is coming
Axemurderer
Wayfarer

Post by Axemurderer »

First never buy a sword the is made from stainless steel. Stainless makes good knives, but is to brittle for sword length weapons.

Second price is a good guide. However tnat is not always true. there are some very expensive swords out there" VERY ". That i would not consider a sword. and the reason is that they have no historical context or real edge geometry what so ever. I can tell you not all cheap swords are bad either. But when you see a set of japanese swords, Katana, Wakasashi, and Tanto for less the 100.00 or even less the 50.00 you should be very wary.
See I had the benefit of some very good teachers, on what a sword is and what a sword is not. and not all swords are good cutters.

All I can say is smiths like Angus Trim, Albion, Del Tin, Arm & Armour are great and mid range price wise. do the research on the forums that really are into HEMA and you will get to hear all the names. Just remember that a deal that sounds to good to be true most times is.

Mike
Dirhael wrote:Mike, how then do I identify a real sword?
Mike Ahrens

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Cantius Garand, Reformed (Gas Port)
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Oki, thanks. I'd better start saving up then ;)

Life before Death.
Axemurderer
Wayfarer

Post by Axemurderer »

Dirhael wrote:Oki, thanks. I'd better start saving up then ;)
Her are some other ideas.

http://www.valiant-armoury.com/signature.php

http://valiant-armoury.com/valhalla.php

http://www.kultofathena.com/

Mike
Mike Ahrens

Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Mike (or anyone else) have you seen/held/used any of the cold steel blades? I am a big fan of the bastard sword they carry.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Axemurderer
Wayfarer

Post by Axemurderer »

All I can say is that the only CS swiord I am familiar with is thier Gross messer. great cutter, but nothing special. as to the rest of thier line I have no comment. However I have heard people say good and bad things.

Mike

Willrett wrote:Mike (or anyone else) have you seen/held/used any of the cold steel blades? I am a big fan of the bastard sword they carry.
Mike Ahrens

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Life before Death.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

In addition to Sword Forum International (SFI), Sword Buyers Guide (SBG) and My Armoury , fourm sites being great places to learn about swords, they all offer tremendous values in their Classified/Market Place sections. These sections offer used swords at fractions of their original value (for the most part). Research the piece first always.

I currently own a black custom Valiant Malatesta (MSRP around $440) that I got for $250. It was used as a review sword. My Atrim 1557 again a review sword cost me around $325 for a $450 sword.

I have 2 Darksword Armoury sharps I picked up for an average of $95 each (they list new for around $300 each). These are just a few of the swords I've picked up and still have. The other good thing about buying seconds is, if after you get them you're not satisfied or they just don't feel right in your hand you just put them back up for sale and the most you'll loose is the shipping to you.

As already indicated Atrims are generally a good cutting sword.
A site that hasn't been mentioned yet is Tried and True Armory. They have Atrims on hand and offer an excellent price and have different grades.

http://www.triedandtruearmory.com/econ/

You might take a good hard look at their Munition grade offering, particularly if you're planning on using it for cutting.

Last thing as I almost forgot, SBG offers a very comprehensive section on sword reviews, it will make determining if one sword is suited to your needs over another. All three of the forums mentioned have reviews, SBG;s appears to be the most comprehensive in the lower end production lines and is the easiest to navigate

As you search for your perfect sword you will handle a few that arn't perfect for you. Treat it like a learning experience and if you purchase second hand, it will be a less expensive lesson.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Take this with a grain of salt because it's just my opinion here, but for hay type I think your money would be better spent with the Tinker/Hanwei norman sharp. It's a very nice sword and a remarkable deal considering it's price. And if you don't like the plain jane scabbard you can have it dressed up by Valiant Armory and have a beautiful full package/ scabbard and all, for less then a new Atrim.

Check it out!!
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... +%2D+Sharp
Winter is coming
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Speaking of Cold Steel, last week I received their new product line catalog, which made for great reading, and yesterday I get the same catalog again in the mail, but this time they included TWO DVDs which show how they are produced and the rigorous testing they put their blades through. Apparently they feel there is a bias out there against their brand with certain magazines.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I have the dvds and all of the products look pretty amazing. They do alot more to them then most people would think of.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mirimaran wrote: Apparently they feel there is a bias out there against their brand with certain magazines.
I think the bias is more toward the type of advertiseing (the dvds and the attitude in them ) than the actual product. I don't have any of their swords but I've been quite pleased with the knives, warhammers, spears and other products from their line I've had over the years. On several forums there are comments made regarding the videos.