edible whatsits

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: edible whatsits

Post by Willrett »

I have always heard to eat what dear eat and you will be fine.... first you have to find a nice dear that will walk around all day and eat stuff for you but ask around :lol: :lol:

With water its always best to start will good moving water first and the further you are away from people the better. I carry one of the water bottle purifiers in my bag that I use to fill up my botas and I tie a coffee filter around the opening of the bottle before I collect any water to help.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cleddyf »

most streams in the south island are okay here, just as long as you are not near any dairy farms,
but in the north island things can be a bit dodgy,
most people here just take a bottle of water with them and fill it up from a stream when its empty,
herbcraft
Wanderer

Post by herbcraft »

Hi all... I've not posted here before; generally just drool over the garb. But did want to say that deer do eat plants and fungi that are poisonous to humans, so don't rely on that. Animals often eat things that can be harmful to use, and things that we can eat may be harmful to animals. It's not a reliable indicator of safety (figure goats eat poison ivy with impunity and lily buds, which can be quite good in moderation, can potentially kill cats).

I'm an herbalist by trade, and have a practice that relies almost entirely on wildcrafted plants I collect myself and prepare in numerous ways. As far as edible plants go, if you live in the US, the be all end all best edible plant books are A Forager's Harvest and Nature's garden by Sam Thayer in Wisconsin. On the whole, regional to the eastern woodlands, but still worth getting it you live in other parts of the US. there really are no books I've seen (and I have literally hundreds) that address edibles anywhere near as well as he does.
jim mcdonald
~herbalist~
www.herbcraft.org
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Welcome Herbcraft! great to have a herbalist on board!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Welcome, Herbcraft! One I know of is that birds eat poke berries, and just get drunk, but they're deadly to humans. The leaves of young pokeweed are supposed to be edible, (thus the song Poke Salad Annie) but you have to get them before the beautiful purple color starts showing up. Poke berries are used as an ingredient in period style ink, though. Oh, and don't let the gator get your granny! (Chomp, chomp)
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome Herbcraft and thanks for the heads up on the books. For the other members, the Thayer book is available on Amazon for $13.29.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Herbcraft! very nice to have you here I am sure we will enjoy what you have to offer! If I may pick your brain a bit/ Is there any literature you know that might be more specific to the southern US and Florida? I have the Thayer book and a few other old herbal books from my Grandma, but it is all North and North eastern specific.
:D
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Welcome to the group, I have slowly been picking up any different books I can find on the subject.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
herbcraft
Wanderer

Post by herbcraft »

There are books about Tommie Bass that'd be must haves; Darryl Patton wrote one, and he'd be a great resource if you could connect with him, as he's also skills oriented:

http://thesouthernherbalist.com/

Phyllis Light is also phenomenal, and is working on a book on southern folk herbalism.

http://www.phyllisdlight.com

I know a slew of herbalists in the south, some more folk, some more clinical. There's a group in Gainesville called the herbalists association of Gainesville that hosts classes and has members that teach as well.

a few (old) southeast resources:

The Cherokee Physician, or Indian Guide to Health, as Given by Richard Foreman, a Cherokee Doctor; Comprising a Brief View of Anatomy, With General Rules for Preserving Health without the Use of Medicines. The Diseases of the U. States, with Their Symptoms, Causes, and Means of Prevention, are Treated on in a Satisfactory Manner. It Also Contains a Description of a Variety of Herbs and Roots, Many of which are not Explained in Any Other Book, and their Medical Virtues have Hitherto been Unknown to the Whites; To which is Added a Short Dispensatory.
http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/foreman/menu.html

(those old books always had really long titles)

This one by porcher is really good:

http://books.google.com/books?id=-LAYAA ... &q&f=false

(do note that some of the plants covered in the older books are strong and potentially dangerous - like gelsemium - powerful medicine in the hands of someone who knows how to use them, completely unsafe for the novice.)

Poke is actually not deadly, but strongly cathartic. the berries themselves are edible and can be used to treat rheumatism (and make poke wine) but the seeds are toxic, in the cathartic everything that was in you isn't going to be for very long kind of way. The leaves need to be boiled in a few changes of water when young to be really edible.
jim mcdonald
~herbalist~
www.herbcraft.org
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Wow, amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us! I am going to get right on this information. I am grateful for your quick and thurough suggestions. :D
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Drogo Greenhood
Wayfarer

Post by Drogo Greenhood »

Great postings fellow rangers! I have used Poke Berries for staining a leather belt, and I have sauteed the young leaves with butter and eaten them; they taste good with no side-effects; Young poke-berry leaves are fleeting (matter of days or weeks) just like fiddle-head ferns, morrels, and berries etc. Here is a list I did of edible wild berries: http://scodpub.wordpress.com/2011/03/19 ... e-berries/
Blessed Be, the Hooded Hunter.
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

Herbcraft, those links are great, i myself have been reading up on the uses of black walnut, both the nuts and the bark. herb lore is a subject i think we are all lacking in. perhaps as time goes you might share some of youre wisdom with us ? the Dunedain had a great knowledge, love and respect for nature.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

ooohhhh how did I miss this.. the herb links.. LOVE THEM!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
herbcraft
Wanderer

Post by herbcraft »

perhaps my favorite plant to teach those new to herbs is the common weed plantain (not the banana like thing). there are two common varieties (actually more than two species, but lets keep things simple, initially...)

broad leaf plantain (plantago major or plantago rugelii)

narrow leaf plantain (plantago lanceolata)

I can use this plant for most systems in the body, and while I know how to and do use a number of "strong" herbs (meaning things that aren't especially safe for beginners to use), planatin is absolutely one of my most important and most versatile medicines.

Just thinking of topical use, which could be as a poultice (fresh herbs crushed or chewed and applied topically), a compress of a tea from the dried plant, and infused oil (fresh plant infused in olive oil or and other stable lipid, including animal fats), or a salve (the prior with beeswax added)...

close to any bites and stings:
mosquitos, spiders (including brown recluse), bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets... it'll help with chiggers, but only a bit. It's useful for tick bites but I won't say it prevents the possible transmission of lyme. Its useful for dog or other crushing bites. For cat bites/piercing bites (fangs go in deep) you'd want to take some strong antiseptic like echinacea or alder or baptisia internally (I'd seek an experienced herbalist in such a situation)

puncture wounds, cuts, scrapes, chafes, mild burns:
keeps the wound clean, prevents infection, and keeps it open till it heals from the inside out (no oil or salves on deep wounds or more severe burns). It's excellent with liberal quantites of yarrow to stop bleeding.

As an eyewash for eye infections or inflammations:
a tea of the dried plant, strained well with 1/4 teaspoon salt added to make the solution saline

As a nasal wash/rinse for chronic sinus issues:
same prep as above

Just some uses, all of which I have first hand experience with. I keep meaning to add a page on it to my site, but haven't yet. In one of my herb DVDs, I spend about 30 minutes on it.

...hmm; maybe I do that in both DVDs. I've talked about it for over an hour in classes.

I remember, many moons ago, finding some in the dark with my bare toes, by feeling the ground under my feet for the compressed soil it like to grow in. Made me think of aragorn finding athelas in the dark by its scent (I've done that with other plants). I was all geeked about it (still am, whenever I do that kind of thing).

Plantain is edible, but just pretty... green tasting. I mix it with other seasonal greens (weeds, mostly, but I do like arugula). Be sure to cut it across the veins,l lest they get stuck in your teeth, or look like long skinny worms to whoever agreed to try your wild green omelet.

Not plantain, but just to give a sense of my relative level of being plant-wise, I talk about wild geranium here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVtmlAxUmc4

and wild sarsparilla here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44b4WoLwhD0

My site has lots more writing of mine, with several in depth plant articles...
jim mcdonald
~herbalist~
www.herbcraft.org
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh awsome!! I belong to the Herbalist yahoo group. Plantain has been discussed many times on there.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com