edible whatsits

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

herbcraft
Wanderer

Re: edible whatsits

Post by herbcraft »

Kiriana wrote:Oh awsome!! I belong to the Herbalist yahoo group. Plantain has been discussed many times on there.
which one?

My favorite herb email lists (high volume, but the best overall information) are henriette kress's herb list (http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/herb) and the American Herbalist Guild's herbstudent list (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/herbstudent/).
jim mcdonald
~herbalist~
www.herbcraft.org
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh the SCA-herbalist yahoo group list.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

kaelln wrote:Down here in Dixieland, we have every sort of edible animal you could want: squirrel, possum, raccoon, deer, snakes galore, fish, turkey, and the list could go on and on. Some things you might think aren't edible really are with a little processing, for example, stinging nettle is similar to turnip greens when its boiled, and is highly nutritious, to boot.

When I was a child, I used to wander the woods randomly trying various things to eat. Probably pretty dangerous, but I never even got sick, and I never went hungry. Saw palmetto has edible parts, which you wouldn't think to look at it, but the center of the big woody things that the fans grow out of is edible. In my experience, you're more likely to find poisonous plants in your yard than in the woods. For example, elephant ear plants, extremely poisonous! Acorns, if processed properly, are edible. You have to shell them, boil them a couple of times, and throw away the water. Acorns can then be ground and used for flour. If you have a natural forest of a decent size that's been allowed to grow without interference from humans for a few decades, you can probably find enough to eat. Bear Grilles always seems to have problems getting enough calories, but he's also always engaged in high calorie activities, like trying to get out of his environment as fast as possible. I think water is usually a bigger problem. Good luck finding clean water in the US these days!
I've got a couple of books on Native American recipes and North American foraging, and they both mention acorn flour. Have you ever tried it? I've got several oaks on my property and some years, the plopping of the acorns on the roof keeps us up at night. However, I've never given it a try.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Fox
Dúnadan

Post by Fox »

Straelbora wrote:I've got a couple of books on Native American recipes and North American foraging, and they both mention acorn flour. Have you ever tried it? I've got several oaks on my property and some years, the plopping of the acorns on the roof keeps us up at night. However, I've never given it a try.
I have indeed! It's delicious! I have found that in general, the larger the acorn, the milder the meat, and the smaller, the more bitter. Acorn flour will also make your mead go nuts. Apparently, the yeast thinks it's yummy, too.

Oh, this might be confusing. Kaelln is Fox and Fox is Kaelln. Some weirdness in the system messed up my account and we had to reset it.
“Courage is found in unlikely places.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

In kentucky we have the blackberry as well as American elderberry.... it should be carefully studied before consumption since it resembles several varieties of poisonous berries. Wild prickly lettuce is everywhere. The ponds and lakes of Kentucky are home to wild watercress, which can be harvested and eaten.
Walnuts in Kentucky can be had from the American black walnut tree, which grows close to rivers and streams. The state also has a good climate for hickory trees, which produce edible (and often ignored) nuts.
Chickweed is a wild herb that can provide some nutrition if consumed, and the entire plant is edible. The dandelion has long seen its flower petals used for making tea and recently has become popular for use in salads. Even drank some dandelion wine once....if we can't fry and eat it in Kentucky, we will ferment it and drink it.

Lots of deer, rabbit, ground hog and wild turkey....the eating and drinking kind.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Southwind
Wanderer

Post by Southwind »

Commelina sp. (dayflower, widow's-tears, kiss-me-by-the-gate) sometimes have stems that are juicy, with a little bit of a tart flavor. I like to just pick and eat them whenever I see a bunch growing.

Loquats (probably introduced, people plant them and then birds spread the seeds), and Texas wild persimmons are both tasty. I don't know how widespread either of these are in places that aren't central TX.

Prickly pear cactus is edible, both the pads and the pears. But you have to like picking mini-spines out of your fingers.
- Southwind (Gwaiharad)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'd love to get better with some of this stuff. I have absolutely no knowledge of any edible plants in my area. Just one of many reasons I really wish my parents had followed through with their threats and actually put me in the Boy Scouts as a kid (they'd always say, "you should join the Boy Scouts, and you'd learn a thing or two," like I was supposed to be scared of it somehow, and I'd always say, "yes please!" but it never happened, heh).
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains