Sword Belt/Scabbard Rigs

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Sword Belt/Scabbard Rigs

Post by Greg »

There’s something to be said for a good, solid sword belt and scabbard rig. There are a wide variety of different rigs and such, all with the same general purpose in mind. This thread is intended to put together an assortment of images of your personal favorites (preferably rigs that you own yourself or have personal experience with) to help do-it-yourselfers assemble a functional rig.

In particular, let's try to discuss rigs that would have a place within Middle Earth, be they for rangering or other applications.

For example:
My personal rig, seen here, just got finished. I took a break from my boot and jerkin projects to update my former rig, which consisted of a single attachment point on the hip. It used to hang straight down, which didn’t seem like a huge problem since my VA Bristol is rather short, but the single attachment point swung around a lot when I walked with it; running was out of the question. It just didn’t feel natural. So this new one holds it at a higher angle, keeping it from bumping off of rocks and such on the ground, gives me a faster draw due to the forward tilt, and makes it more a part of my belt and less an implement swinging along my side.

The new light brown additions were not yet oiled or woodburned when this pic was taken...now, they match the dark leather locket at the throat of the scabbard, and have burned in borders to give them a little character. This evening, I'll be re-wrapping my byknife onto the scabbard, over the lower locket, completing the rig.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Sword Belt/Scabbard Rigs

Post by dwayne davis »

Hey not bad at all. have you tried it out on a hike yet, to see how well it allows you to move?
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Not yet, but I've been wearing it around the house, up and down the stairs, etc. (much to my wife's chagrin) the last few days to test it out. Tomorrow I'm going to wear the scabbard empty while sparring to see how it does in a combat scenario, and I'll report back.

Do you have any rigs you'd like to post, jolromir?
Last edited by Greg on Thu May 19, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Looks good I have a pattern for one I started but have not finished yet.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Here's some of my scabbards and suspensions.........

Winter is coming
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Mike, did your Strider belt come from Blades by Brown?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Mirimaran wrote:Mike, did your Strider belt come from Blades by Brown?
Why yes it did! I ended up selling the rig because I just didn't connect with the Borderwatch but man do I wish I could score that belt again. I should have kept the belt and kick myself for not doing just that.
Winter is coming
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

I have a feling that suspension system you made will probably work pretty good. it may not flop arround too much. sadly my photography skills are awefull. it's just a standard baldrick design i used on my deltin. :(
Attachments
Jun22015.jpg
Jun22015.jpg (90.86 KiB) Viewed 14655 times
Last edited by dwayne davis on Fri May 20, 2011 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Greg

Post by Greg »

mcapanelli wrote:Image[/url]
Gorgeous rig there. How's it handle walking/running/drills, if you've put it through any? Too bouncy, or does it manage well?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Mike I remember seeing the belt offered some time ago at his site. We've actually been in his store in Clemmons, NC. I don't know if he is still in business or not. You have some great stuff there, as does Jolromir!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Greg wrote:
mcapanelli wrote:Image[/url]
Gorgeous rig there. How's it handle walking/running/drills, if you've put it through any? Too bouncy, or does it manage well?
It's rather floppy. I wouldn't want to run in the woods with it. I'm pretty sure the medieval Man at arms or knight didn't really consider stealth or getting caught in the brush very much. t think the next scabbard will be a double belted one. My biggest problem is trying to get something that will work in the brush but still be historical, or some sort of balanced trade off therein. I like your solution though. Does it work well in practice?
Winter is coming
Greg

Post by Greg »

So far! I was working through some I.33 with my bristol and an 18" wood/padded buckler last night, doing sequences of cuts on water bottles as targets, and it held in place very nicely. I think the main difference between this and yours that I quoted is that the belt attachment locations are further apart. Yours essentially tries to put the blade in line with the belt, making it a part of the belt. The rear attachment on mine actually intersects with the belt at the center of my back, so it pulls the scabbard in to my side. David's Castile has a similar setup and similar problem, if you remember it. Mine doesn't solve all problems...but it certainly helps.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Awesome gear there, Jolromir :D

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Axemurderer
Wayfarer

Post by Axemurderer »

mcapanelli wrote:
Mirimaran wrote:Mike, did your Strider belt come from Blades by Brown?
Why yes it did! I ended up selling the rig because I just didn't connect with the Borderwatch but man do I wish I could score that belt again. I should have kept the belt and kick myself for not doing just that.

Mike was that a Crecy bladed Boarderwatch? Cause I know how you feel. I could never really get to like mine either. My Bresciawatch however is a whole different story.

Mike
Mike Ahrens

Staten Island German Martial Atrs (S.I.G.M.A.)

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Cantius Garand, Reformed (Gas Port)