Ranger Games

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Ranger Games

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

"The idea of the competition is really more about evaluation, an assessment of skills. And as Bruce Lee once said, "Your opponent is your mirror." It's really about learning and improving yourself. When somebody bests you at something, it's an opportunity to learn."

Sir, I couldnt agree more, along a similar vein another martial legend Sun Tzu wrote "invincibility lies within ones self" and a few lines later
he clarified this further by writing "Do not depend on the enemy not coming but rather upon being ready for him". If we accept that the ideal is mastery of the self, a goal I attain to, then any form of peaceful or hostile adversity is more about besting the situation as opposed to merely defeating enemies or competitors.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Pwyll wrote:The idea of the competition is really more about evaluation, an assessment of skills. And as Bruce Lee once said, "Your opponent is your mirror." It's really about learning and improving yourself. When somebody bests you at something, it's an opportunity to learn.
That's a beautiful sentiment and a sound philosophy. Still, you have to learn the rules of chess before you can play. If you put me in a sword competition with Mike, all that's going to happen is that I'll get soundly thumped, and all I'll learn is that I shouldn't fight with Mike! :P I probably wouldn't even know what happened! My sole experience with swordplay is watching movies, and me and my little brother thwacking each other with sticks when we were children. (And what I learned from that is that sticks really hurt when they hit your fingers!)

I would love for Mike to teach me some basics that I could take home and practice on my own, though. That would be sweet! I'm sure there are some things I could compete in and learn from while so doing though, and that would be sweet too!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Yeah, I could see this becoming some competitions and some seminars/classes real quick. Everyone has something they can teach (except maybe me) and we all love competition.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

E.MacKermak wrote:Yeah, I could see this becoming some competitions and some seminars/classes real quick. Everyone has something they can teach (except maybe me) and we all love competition.
Oh please. I've seen some of your gear, and, as I recall, you're an excellent horseman. I haven't been on a horse since I was nineteen, (around the time Gerald Ford was in office!) so you could certainly teach me a thing or two!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

hehe Erich is not a horseman!

Now as for leather work and a few other things, yes he is really good.

I would love classes and such!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

I guess I was getting him and R.D. mixed up! :? :oops: Still, totally not buying that he has nothing to teach!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Not a horse person myself, a pretty good walker though lol :P the games sound like a good idea!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

If he were so inclined I would like to take a leather tooling class from Erich.

While speaking of the MacKermak house, Kiriana are you still weaving trim? If so I will be needing some shortly for a Grete kjortle I'm making.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Yes I am... I do have to finish off Pete's first.. I am way behind on his but will be done shortly.

Real life has messed with me this first half of the year.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I know the feeling, no hurry, let me know when you can get around to it.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

You know if you really want to have a seminar in WMA, you should see if Mike Aherns (Known as axemurderer around these parts) can do a Seloharr seminar for the event. I've already been to one his group hosted and had a great time while learning a ton. It was really something to see Christian preform the things he's pictured doing in his book. The dagger and pole axe sections we're really educational for me as I've never had a chance to work out those plays with anybody else. The group I used to train with would always be in a state of flux so I kept having to go back to Longsword basics and until Mike's event never had a chance to try the other weapons first hand with a training partner. Books are cool and all but nothing takes the place of seeing it first hand. Add to that Mike is an avid outdoorsman and he'd be a perfect fit.
Winter is coming
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

That would be awesome! 8)

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

mcapanelli wrote:You know if you really want to have a seminar in WMA, you should see if Mike Aherns (Known as axemurderer around these parts) can do a Seloharr seminar for the event. I've already been to one his group hosted and had a great time while learning a ton. It was really something to see Christian preform the things he's pictured doing in his book. The dagger and pole axe sections we're really educational for me as I've never had a chance to work out those plays with anybody else. The group I used to train with would always be in a state of flux so I kept having to go back to Longsword basics and until Mike's event never had a chance to try the other weapons first hand with a training partner. Books are cool and all but nothing takes the place of seeing it first hand. Add to that Mike is an avid outdoorsman and he'd be a perfect fit.
Just give me a good years' notice so I can find a way to get myself out there... *chuckles*
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Greg wrote:
mcapanelli wrote:You know if you really want to have a seminar in WMA, you should see if Mike Aherns (Known as axemurderer around these parts) can do a Seloharr seminar for the event. I've already been to one his group hosted and had a great time while learning a ton. It was really something to see Christian preform the things he's pictured doing in his book. The dagger and pole axe sections we're really educational for me as I've never had a chance to work out those plays with anybody else. The group I used to train with would always be in a state of flux so I kept having to go back to Longsword basics and until Mike's event never had a chance to try the other weapons first hand with a training partner. Books are cool and all but nothing takes the place of seeing it first hand. Add to that Mike is an avid outdoorsman and he'd be a perfect fit.
Just give me a good years' notice so I can find a way to get myself out there... *chuckles*

You fly in to North Carolina, I pick you up at the airport, you stay at the red roof for $49 a night, you go home having attended the first ever Middle Earth Ranger event. See, simple.
Winter is coming
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

mcapanelli wrote:You fly in to North Carolina...
You caught me there. Do you know a pilot who hands out favors?

As for the hotel...I'm sure I could find a shady spot somewhere off a country road and call it a day...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.