Ranger cloaks

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Ranger cloaks

Post by Ringulf »

I have seen quite a bit on these boards about cloaks and I think that it is an essential part of a rangers gear.

In our middle earth literature we are given the brown, green, black and grey cloaks of the more historical types as being those that Rangers would choose and that they would be worn in colors that matched the local surroundings. Of course magical elven cloaks not withstanding, what we would consider to be camoflage cloaks are kind of frowned upon in most circles.

I have been working with my garb to reflect my Historical interest and persona for SCA as well as my love of the literary rangers of ME and of the Ranger's Apprentice books by John Flannigan.

In Flannegan's series rangers wear a special cloak described as being of mottle greens and greys, that tend to phase in and out a bit as you look at them allowing Rangers to blend in and fool the eye.

Now though this sounds like camo, in the RA circles most believe that it is a mottled type of non destinct pattern that could be attributed to dying or garment painting or both to break up and blend with the background envirement.

Just recently as I was looking for a summer weight cloak (Florida can be pretty beastly for cloak wearers) I came across a type of fabric that is treated with a process that is called Batique. I have actually done a bit of this in art school and it is a very interesting fabric art, in some ways very much like "Tie Dye" if it is done properly or with the express purpose of making it so. This fabric had such a great mottled, blended, camo effect that I had to reaserch it further.

It turns out without going too deeply into the reaserch, that it was a period technique! Though it is not provable that it was used in this way. However We made one that has a green base on one side and a brown base on the other and is reversable. ! am going to fiddle with making a detachable hood and mantle to give it some more versatility but believe me when I say it definitely does what it is supposed to do! The fabric is not innexpensive at about 13.00 a yard and it takes about 8 yards to make a cloak for me (one sided, if reversable it is like making two cloaks and costs about twice as much) So they are not in every rangers price range, but I am looking into the method so that I might be able to make my own cloth. At least that way I could make them unique and enter them as an Arts and Science peice for SCA.

Any interest?
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
kaelln

Re: Ranger cloaks

Post by kaelln »

Pics! Must have photos! (Pretty please?)
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

My fiance just left to return to VA for a bit and took most of the sewing projects with her. The cloak of course among them, but I will try and see if I can get a picture of the cloth to post. :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK I found some sample pics of the cloths that I used and some of the others I thought would be good for other environments. The first two are the green and brown batik I used for the reversable, the rest are conjectural and may have some merrit for winter, sandy or some rocky, mossy terrains.

These are just material samples, the entire garment the way it drapes and shades is actually kind of cool so until I can get some pictures up you may have to envision it.

Enjoy!
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Too cool!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Yeah PICS!!

Around here.. we want lots of PICS!! hehe

But that cloth is so kool!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cleddyf »

very cool
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

What is the fiber blend? Linen? Cotton?

Batique is one way to get that sort of effect; another is in the weave of the cloth itself. I believe Eledhwen once mentioned the possibility of making cloth with a mottled weave similar to that in the Ranger's Apprentice series, although it could have been crochet she was talking about.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I did. Use yarn of various hues, set the warp in random combinations, use multiple weft colors and one of the more intricate weaving patterns and a kind of mottled appearance is achievable. You can even have the yarn itself multiple colors by using roving of different hues as you spin it.

Naturally, this is only for those who are after spinning and weaving their own yarn and cloth. This is our own approach here at Randiromar; I will see about getting something up pic wise here in the near future.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I would enjoy seeing that. I think that would be an excellent choice for a period construction type cloak or cape.

I believe the Batik (as it is spelled in the manufacturers description) is cotton.

As I was looking for a light material that would work for me in warmer environments, I did not look at anything that might be any heavier.

The homespun, would it be as heavy as say, linen?
If so that would not be bad for the majority of the year and most northern activities, and the fact that it was woven would allow it to be only one side and need not be reversable.
That could cut down on the weight but you would not have the different color choices.
The two layers of cotton is still fairly light and breathes well.
They also will take the water repellant pretty nicely due to the tight weave(another huge factor for me).
Though I am pretty sure that will just about kill the beathability part I just mentioned, lol.

All in all, I love the thought and uniqueness of a home spun pattern, which aside from cost was the reason I was looking into the Batik as a viable construction method, so I would love to see what it looked like. you would certainly have a great deal of control of the overall hue.

I love the way this Batik looks like it phases in and out to mess with your focus, I wish the green and brown had a bit more contrasting gray, as that seems to be something Mr Flannagen stresses as part of the cloaks "magic".
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Homespun can be whatever you choose to spin. All it means is the yarn is spun and woven at home.

Linen, aka flax, is difficult to dye but breathes well and is very appropriate. Wool also breathes well, takes dye easily, and insulates even when wet...it is also very appropriate. More than most other fabrics.

Given we are reenacting Rangers from Middle Earth, you have a bit more leeway unless you wish to restrict yourself to medieval period fabrics. Cotton takes dye easily, tends to be cool (but only when dry), and is lightweight.

Linen is good for any time of year, use it to line wool and you get a fabric that is at least 3 season in usage. Put wool pants over linen pants or drawers, for example. A linen shirt with a wool shirt over that and a linen lined cloak over that would make for a fairly warm outfit...add shirts as needed. Socks of wool, naturally, and if you knit, naalbind or even stitch them up from pieces made of wool roving or homespun, they will felt up when worn...and that is not a bad thing where feet are concerned. You can add to it by stuffing wool roving into the shoes as you wear them...sweat and walking about will felt them into..yep, a kind of shoe liner.

Weaving is interesting and drop spinning has been, for me, a serious learning experience. You might could speak to someone who does these crafts and see if they will spin and weave some fabric for you. Never hurts to cultivate artisans.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Eledhwen wrote: Given we are reenacting Rangers from Middle Earth, you have a bit more leeway unless you wish to restrict yourself to medieval period fabrics. Cotton takes dye easily, tends to be cool (but only when dry), and is lightweight.

Socks of wool, naturally, and if you knit, naalbind or even stitch them up from pieces made of wool roving or homespun, they will felt up when worn...and that is not a bad thing where feet are concerned. You can add to it by stuffing wool roving into the shoes as you wear them...sweat and walking about will felt them into..yep, a kind of shoe liner.

You might could speak to someone who does these crafts and see if they will spin and weave some fabric for you. Never hurts to cultivate artisans.

Eledhwen
Re-creating middle earth is going to be very exiting for me!
I truly consider Prof. Tolkien's works to be my true love!
I do however want to be able to get a nod from at least some of the "Authenticity Nazi's" that the SCA produces, or at least have a learned and snappy retort to their coments, and as far as the RA stuff goes, well that is not very stringent as it falls along the lines of most accepted medieval knowledge. Mr Flannagens world is not quite as detailed as Tolkien's.

I was just reading the other day about Naalbind, funny you should mention it!
I was going to have a go at it since my Mom both knits and crochets. (she must be so proud of her son) I just need to find some clear instructions.

As I understand it, it is knitting a chain in a spiral that forms a long closed end tube correct? I was actully looking at the way the scandinavians made their hats with this as well as socks.

I have been working on three pair of Turnshoes for my Fiance, Son and myself.
The felting idea is very interesting, but tell me, how is it as concernes foot oder? (if you don't mind my being indelicate)
I was going to use a modern insert but once more if I can do it in a period technique I get to learn something in the bargain!

I generally try to cultivate my own understanding of the craft I am interested in so I can appreciate what it intails and give it a wack, but after that I most heartily agree with you and love to be a patron of the arts and the artist.

Knowing how to do something is enriching, but someone who dedicates themselves to art of that one thing, will do it better faster and most of the time with less expense (I did not say cheeper) than you could yourself. :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The best 'snappy retort' to Scadian authenticity nazis is to ignore them. They really hate that. I have been a Scadian for over 40 years..I never have liked the recent constant pushing to be what some folk define as period correct. the constant attempts to redefine the starting period, etc. My kit is very generic, most of it, and made of period fabrics...and often what I make is made with period techniques...but because *I* want to do it, not because I am interested in anyone else accepting it or aspiring to belong somehow. I was always more of a fun mavin anyway.

I have little tolerance for the arrogance that comes with those who constantly criticize others because they have a thing for period correct items. That being said, if you join a group that is up front all about absolute period correct reenactment, you have no foot to stand on and no business joining if you aren't going to do that. The SCA is NOT a reenactment group and never has been...some of its participants are reenactors, but the group itself is not; pure fun has always been a major part of it. And for those too young to know or remember, Tolkien was once a major part of the SCA...before we collectively decided to go medieval and disposed of anything smacking of fantasy (which we really didn't but that's another thing).

Anyway, yes, naalbinding is essentially as you describe. It is also far older than the Norse. ;) The Egyptians did a version of it as well..socks with a separate big toe for example..much like tabi.

Herbs work for odor...so does taking it out and washing it as well as sun drying it. We think dryers today but the sun has antiseptic properties...UV for starters.

I like to learn skills so I can be self-reliant but also simply because I am naturally curious to a fare thee well. Curiosity killed the cat, but statisfaction brought it back. ;) Drop spinning is one of those things that most folk tell you is increadibly easy...only for me it has been anything but. We all have challenges. Weaving, on the other hand, is pretty simple to me and not necessarily to many others. I tablet weave, learning to inkle weave, and have used rigid heddle looms. While we have big floor looms I have not yet used those.

Learning; a never ending pursuit.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

My major problem with the SCA is that alot of them unlike yourself dont have that kind of honesty and present pure BS as fact especially in the martial aspect of the group.

Research on combat techniques and translations of period works are now out there for the taking presented by and for serious martial artists and hoplophobes. I have damn little patience for the idiots who scratched some off the wall technique, or worse a series of them, out of their @ss during a heavy drinking bout at the local renn fest and present it as fact. There is no excuse for this, it only perpetuates the myths and misconceptions that has taken the community so long to just begin to clear up.

That being said there are SCA folk like yourself that one would be a fool not to pay attention to.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I second that heartily R.D.!

I find it refreshing when the folks like Eledhwen or my Fiance Brandwyn who have been in the SCA since the early years, strive to learn but don't take the whole thing so seriously that they push people away from how much fun it all can be.

Even though I am no youngster I still tend to want to be accepted and sometimes let it drive me to making sure I have all my bases covered. That said I seem to always be stuck in the middle seeking balance. I am not gonna show up in a bedsheet toga and swill meade till I drop, that would be no more investment than a local frat party, but I feel like the more I can learn and complete the picture of the persona I have in my mind, the happier I am.

I guess it is true though, the day you stop learning, it will all start over again with your feet on the streets of gold!