New Bow.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

New Bow.

Post by Eledhwen »

Well, it has taken a long while with some saving and scraping specifically for the purpose but I have finally managed to order a Rudderbows longbow. Bamboo, epe, and hickory with half curve horn tips; 55 - 60# of draw at 30". I have a number of bows..some of which my lads are starting to use now, and one longbow that is quite old and beginning to lose a bit of strength. It is ash and traditional but has seen better days.

One can never have enough bows. That's my story and I am sticking to it. This will be my first Rudderbows longbow. I have had Woodbows, Stickbows, Grozer Horsebows, fiberglass bows, and of course the ash one made by a Scadian bowyer. All of them have been good for what they were made for. All of them have lasted a good long time.

A new bow. *sigh* I refuse to purchase swords since I can make them myself and better than a lot of the stuff available online. Besides, I have a perfectly good Del Tin Glamdring, among other things. I cannot yet make my own bows. Arrows, yes, bows, not yet.

I am excited. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: New Bow.

Post by Ringulf »

Very nice, congratulations! Happy shooting!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Pics and a review when you receive it would be nice.
Aaron
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Aaron »

Excellent choice! I've got a hickory-backed epe longbow from Rudderbows. Got it near ten years ago....great bow. Looking forward to hearing more about yours when you get it!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I hear a lot of good things about Rudderbows and I know their service is good as I have purchased points and other accessories and gear from them in the past. This is the first bow.

Ever since I got a reflex-deflex from Woodbows on sale I have developed a real liking for bamboo backing. That bow has bamboo and hickory and the almost white nature of the bamboo is quite lovely contrasted against the darker wood. What I could see of the images of the new one on their site looks promising with that dark line of epe (Brazilian Walnut) between the white bamboo and the hickory.

I will post pics when I get it, and review after I shoot it. I am currently making arrows that will work with it. The shafts have been slotted, redwood inserted and the nock slot cut and filed, and the point ends tapered. The classic medieval points are friction fitted at the moment. They need rubbing down with linseed oil and then I want to tune them nicely before putting the fletches on and the thread binding.

The complete combination of arrows and new bow will, I hope, look really nice and I will likely do a little after decoration of some kind or other. I have beaver fur silencers for the bow when it comes and I am going to start making strings shortly (since the other bows need some too).

Yes, I am terribly excited.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Sounds like a great bow cant wait for the pics. You should do a step by step arrow thread with pics for people wanting to see and learn the process. (NO Pressure :P )
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Willrett, I am still a raw beginner with arrow making myself, not really very qualified to teach it. O-o

I will post some pics of the arrows and tools I use later today; new batteries for the camera first. I'll get some closeups; even with the jigs and tools I still get the cutting off center at times.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Posted pics of my arrow building setup and some comments as a preliminary sort of learn-with-me how-to. I posted it in the how-to section. Just a beginning. There will be step by step pics and descriptions as I go along.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The bow I ordered from Rudderbows arrived this morning. Inspecting it I found nothing wrong with it at all; it is one gorgeous weapon. The belly is hickory, the back is bamboo and sandwiched between them is a South American black walnut...gorgeous three toned bow, and the slight ribbing from the bamboo on the back just makes it all the prettier.

Oddly, there's no marking on the bow of draw/pounds although I know well enough what it is as I ordered it. I'll add it myself.

The leather grip feels comfortable in the hand; traditionally there was not much of a grip but I like the leather wrapping. The limbs taper to beautifully slender ends tipped with horn nocks.

She is beautiful, aye she is. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. Meanwhile, she needs a bit of breaking in before I take her hunting!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!