Question on horse tack

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Question on horse tack

Post by Peter Remling »

Hi Everyone:

I know many of you ride but few of us have horses, what I'm interested in is the shape and size for the cutout of saddlebags behind a saddle. I know there are different size saddles but I'm looking for something fairly standard.

I'm planning on making a set of saddlebags that in the event the cavalryman/women, loses their steed, the saddlebags can be converted to backpacks. I'm toying with both a single backpack or a set of front and back packs.

I'd like to assemble it and then ship to someone here who owns horses to test it out and report back on it's performance, astride a horse and afoot.

Anyones help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

My girlfriend could get you pictures of her bags and we could do field testing for you. Granted, we're in oregon, so shipping is a little much, but its up to you. We'll get you some reference images for good saddle bags that work well with horses and you can go from there...?
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Sounds good, could you also get me a tracing behind the saddle to ensure the part between the bags fit.

When you're set just pm me and I'll send you my address for the tracing.

Thanks, Pete
hesinraca

Re: Question on horse tack

Post by hesinraca »

Obviously I am 16 months late, had everything hit the fan at once, sorry about that. How did the backpack saddle bags go? If you haven't done it I will get those pictures asap for you... I feel relaly bad for disappearing on you there.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Hi Cedric:

No I havn't done the saddlebags yet and I would appreciate pics. Welcome back.

I was just able to reply now as all the cookie instructons didn't seem to work with my system.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

I will take photos saturday or sunday afternoon(whenever we go to the barn to get the horses ready for a horseback archery demo) and post them shortly after.

Until then, here are some that are decently shaped(similiar to the ones Katie likes) because they hug the saddle but also sit the weight forward. remember that you want to keep the weight forward as best you can. As far as I've learned, weight on their hind-quarters makes them walk funny, but I'll verify that with Katie on saturday.

I'll get you some good photos of top-down and such. sorry for the delay ;(
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Sorry I suck at responding on time, things are crazy over here!

The one with the arrows:
The green arrow clips attach to little loops on the saddle directly on the sides, about where your back lines up, if not a tad further back on the saddle.
The red arrows are tie-holes, because a lot of saddles have rings along the back for tieing stuff to.
The blue arrows are point to the area that is directly over the horse's spine. I was thinking if you dont mind have of the pack in front of you when carrying over shoulder, you could make this portion a double strap so that the side with the double arrow detached and just the side with the single blue arrow was over your shoulder, which would center the weight. Then rig the green arrows to attach to each other under your opposite arm. Sort of like a courrier bag, only with pickets in front. Also, possibly rigging it to have a shoulder strap over both shoulders would help balance.

hope these help!
http://picasaweb.google.com/Hesin.Raca/ ... directlink
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Yes, very much so!

Aside from attempting to do a normal set of saddlebags, I figured a horse mounted society would want to have saddlebags that should ,your mount become incapacitated or have to be put down, the saddle bags (or rather one of them would readily convert to a backpack).

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Very much agreed. Sent pictures of what you come up with and I will probably make some as well. The big key is finding a way to make it form to the saddle shape and horse's back while still allowing proper weight spread on a human shoulder, but of course you know that.

Another idea I had was have leather lacing up the center where the double arrows were (crossing where the horse's spine would be going) and then to backpack-transform it you could just take the lacing off, tile the bags side by side, and it would be sort of shaped like a life vest... But that would limit the width of the pockets... so.. not sure;)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com