Defending the Hill

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Defending the Hill

Post by Beornmann »

DOTS (Depends on the Situation)
Your subject describes a hill; you mention a small village and then go on to say a hill-fort or stockade as the attached pictures also depict. Keeping in perspective, only upper class/royalty constructed hill-forts and extensive fortifications. The motte & bailey were initial defenses against an occupied population. Later, the Norman Warlord building stone towers. So, your scenario lends to various branches. I will focus with a small village. There is also some confusion and discussion about the EN’s intent: siege vs. raid. I believe the enemy more inclined to conduct a raid.
Read-up about U.S. Army defense operations.
Using Troop Leading Procedures (TLP) and METT-TC analysis.
To quickly summarizes:
Mission: Defend the village, crops, & villagers.
Enemy: Savage beasts hell-bent on total destruction.
Terrain: Village and surrounding area; too varied to discuss, but ID the Key Terrain feature and avenues of approach
Troops: May have some trained militia, but not many and probably poorly equipped: spears, some shields, some bows, little armor & helmets.
Time-Available: probably not much
Civilian Considerations: Village women, children, & aged. If you evcuate, way, who goes with to protect? If stuck in village, watch the scene from “13th Warrior” and see what they are prepared to do.

So, now what? Some options…
1. I heard mention of evacuation, save the people. Run and live to re-build. Not usually on option. Folks will starve through the winter b/c they lost their crops and stores or die from exposure while re-building. They can become refugees and rely on charity. Next village over probably has just enough to get by and may not help.
2. Stactic defense or strongpoint: Depending on time and preparations, maybe? If you can create some obstacles and channelize into a kill zone.
3. Mobile defense or defense–in-depth.
4. Ambush. Both of these last two depend on time available & troop training., but I favor these options.

Again, every situation is different and I am speaking in very general terms.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I see no reason why options 1-2-3-4 are mutually exclusive, a very famous band of refugees literally cut several national armies to dog meat, using deception, terrain,and overwhelming numbers at key points...The Isrealites.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Beornmann wrote:DOTS (Depends on the Situation)
Your subject describes a hill; you mention a small village and then go on to say a hill-fort or stockade as the attached pictures also depict. Keeping in perspective, only upper class/royalty constructed hill-forts and extensive fortifications. The motte & bailey were initial defenses against an occupied population. Later, the Norman Warlord building stone towers. So, your scenario lends to various branches. I will focus with a small village. There is also some confusion and discussion about the EN’s intent: siege vs. raid. I believe the enemy more inclined to conduct a raid.
Read-up about U.S. Army defense operations.
Using Troop Leading Procedures (TLP) and METT-TC analysis.
To quickly summarizes:
Mission: Defend the village, crops, & villagers.
Enemy: Savage beasts hell-bent on total destruction.
Terrain: Village and surrounding area; too varied to discuss, but ID the Key Terrain feature and avenues of approach
Troops: May have some trained militia, but not many and probably poorly equipped: spears, some shields, some bows, little armor & helmets.
Time-Available: probably not much
Civilian Considerations: Village women, children, & aged. If you evcuate, way, who goes with to protect? If stuck in village, watch the scene from “13th Warrior” and see what they are prepared to do.

So, now what? Some options…
1. I heard mention of evacuation, save the people. Run and live to re-build. Not usually on option. Folks will starve through the winter b/c they lost their crops and stores or die from exposure while re-building. They can become refugees and rely on charity. Next village over probably has just enough to get by and may not help.
2. Stactic defense or strongpoint: Depending on time and preparations, maybe? If you can create some obstacles and channelize into a kill zone.
3. Mobile defense or defense–in-depth.
4. Ambush. Both of these last two depend on time available & troop training., but I favor these options.

Again, every situation is different and I am speaking in very general terms.
Ummm, Call in an airstrike ? :D
Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

Peter Remling wrote:Ummm, Call in an airstrike ? :D
Do you think the Eagles will come?
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Rhys ap Ieuan wrote:
Maybe...got a moth?
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Fallsofdragon
Dúnadan

Post by Fallsofdragon »

Ringulf wrote:
Rhys ap Ieuan wrote:
Maybe...got a moth?
LOL :lol: yes, fast movers on call
I would in this scenario send out my most elite archers under cover of darkness or trickery diversion,
hence they would, by precision marksmanship, dispatch the leadership of the orc enemy, starting with the lead baghwan orc, and as many of his sub-ordinate officers as possible
perhaps to shorten or confound the seige of our A camp village
other than that, a powerful wizard or wizardess with great spell incantations,
of course the moth should be sent at once, the Eagles will want in on the action.
This defending of the hill reminds me much of an old samurai movie, 7 :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Image The Queen of Light took her bow and then she turned to go
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom and walked the night alone
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Just send in a poison goat and yell "Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!"
Then run like hell!
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: