Starting a Yule Log fire!

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Starting a Yule Log fire!

Post by Ringulf »

So I decided to go with the aluminum firepistons for my family's gifts.

They fit so precicely, even without the rubber gasket, that I was getting compression with just a bit of the petroleum jelly.

It was not enough to raise a spark in the charcord though, or this would have been too easy!

In fact the hardest part of building these, with the components I finally settled on after watching every utube I could get my hands on, and checking the availability of the items local to me, was cutting the groove deep enough for the o ring.

This was very "trial and error" and rather time consuming compared to the rest of the process. I got it down after a bunch of them and the last one went pretty quick, so it looks like I beat the learning curve after all! :mrgreen:

Here is a picture of the five I did for the "Boys" in Brandwyn's family (she is making jewelry for all the girls) I am going to varnish the wood and put the leather on and stichit up like the one up above, and the tinderboxes are almost finished. I will put up a pic of them later tonight. :D

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Here are the Tinderboxes along with the Firepistons.
They still need to be sewn up the seam in the back like the first piston was with the green "Ranger thread". But this is how they are going I may get some color on the wood and then varnish it but I am pretty whipped right now, so here they are!

The Tinderbox contains: a tea candle to sustain flame, a large amount of dried Spanish Moss (an excellent tinder when dried) and a bunch of charcord, (no that is not iguana fecies!).

The cork covers the hole that you drop the ember in when you have removed the other materials, and made your bird's nest of kindling. That way the precious ember will not get blown out as you blow on it inside the box, until the tinder is ablaze. When it is you pull the cap and dump the birds nest into your kindling and feed it till it grows.

Viola! Another Dwarven fire and thus reputation is hopefully built! (Fili and Kili would be so proud!) :roll:

Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Impressive. I wish I were your family. :mrgreen:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I consider all of you Brothers and Sisters Ernildhir! But I would not wish to rob you of the experience of making one yourself!
Say the word and send me your address in a PM and I will send you the kit I have made and directions. Then you can build your own! :wink:
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Kit? Did you say kit? (Drools) How much?
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

When I get back home after Thanksgiving I will put together the price for the list of materials and the postage I would be happy to have the opinion of a few of you before I put then into the merchanting mix! So Kaelin do the same as Ernildir. I will get them out when I come back.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

a price for that would be great
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

Ok im drooling already. thats cool.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?