First Bow

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Erhilir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

First Bow

Post by Erhilir »

Hi everybody I have read the LOTR books, The Ranger's Apprentice Series and many other same type books. I am very influenced and interested in the Ranger life so I want to buy my first bow :) :) :)
I have already made my cloak and I believe I can make some arrows.
What do you think is the best bow type ?
What do you think of this bow ?
http://www.npapadakis.gr/product.php?products_id=916

Thanks for your time !!!
...I am Ranger, my Lord...
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: First Bow

Post by Willrett »

First off welcome to the group. It looks like a really nice bow I'm not sure what its made of which is the important part.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

thnks for the welcome it doesn t specify from what is it made i will call and ask
:)
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Hi welcome!

Have you done alot of shooting? I think the best thing is to grab any period type bow and start shooting it! Of course a wise selection can make this a bit easier and less expensive, but the most important thing is to shoot alot and you will find the right type and draw weight and all.

Definitely learn about fletching and arrow making, Arrows are not quite as easy as they look and are just as important as the bow!

Good fortune to you I salute your adventuresome spirit!
Feel free to ask any questions you come across! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome, love to see some pictures of your wooded areas.
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

I have shoot some bows and I thing thats the right dimensions for me but i dont now anything about the different bow types :( :( :( :oops:
Of course I will upload greece's wooded areas and trust me they are many :D :D :D :D
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Looks good, if google translate can be trusted a 30lb draw weight would be a good starting point depending on you size and build.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Firstly, welcome to the group, and it's great to have another Mediterranean ranger on board! I guess the climate must be fairly similar.

Secondly, I have a 50lb hickory longbow. I couldn't afford yew so I went for hickory instead (I think it's a good substitute), but it shoots really nice, despite not being a perfect shape. I'm 14 and can now easily pull 50lb, but that's only because I have been shooting since I was 12-ish (just with a modern recurve though). However if you haven't done it before I'd say 30lb is a good starter-- maybe even 35 depending what you think you're capable of. Watch out though, because if you go too heavy and it's your first time that's bad (I think it develops bad form or something). In terms of arrows I have always made my own, my first set was... shameful. But each time they got better, as will yours. Consider building a fetching jig which would help getting the flights on straight.
Depending on how accurate you want your arrows to be, you could get spined arrows (how bendy the arrows are) if you were shooting with a traditional bow, because the arrow will bend round the bow as it shoots.

Looks good, if google translate can be trusted a 30lb draw weight would be a good starting point

P.S. you other crazy rangers, on the site that he mentioned, there is an option to change the language to English ;)

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

As for bow type, I think it's more personal preference. I chose a longbow just because that's my favourite style and a style I feel comfortable with (and English longbowmen are awesome). As for the bow you're suggesting, it's short (fairly), which means it's great for thick undergrowth, where my bow would fail.
I also like the shape of the bow, looks sort of eastern to me, like from Rhun somewhere.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

Dirhael wrote:Firstly, welcome to the group, and it's great to have another Mediterranean ranger on board! I guess the climate must be fairly similar.

Secondly, I have a 50lb hickory longbow. I couldn't afford yew so I went for hickory instead (I think it's a good substitute), but it shoots really nice, despite not being a perfect shape. I'm 14 and can now easily pull 50lb, but that's only because I have been shooting since I was 12-ish (just with a modern recurve though). However if you haven't done it before I'd say 30lb is a good starter-- maybe even 35 depending what you think you're capable of. Watch out though, because if you go too heavy and it's your first time that's bad (I think it develops bad form or something). In terms of arrows I have always made my own, my first set was... shameful. But each time they got better, as will yours. Consider building a fetching jig which would help getting the flights on straight.
Depending on how accurate you want your arrows to be, you could get spined arrows (how bendy the arrows are) if you were shooting with a traditional bow, because the arrow will bend round the bow as it shoots.

Looks good, if google translate can be trusted a 30lb draw weight would be a good starting point

P.S. you other crazy rangers, on the site that he mentioned, there is an option to change the language to English ;)

We leave in the same place and we are the same age so i think your opinion counts a lot :D :D
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

shadowshutter wrote:
Dirhael wrote:Firstly, welcome to the group, and it's great to have another Mediterranean ranger on board! I guess the climate must be fairly similar.

We leave in the same place and we are the same age so i think your opinion counts a lot :D :D and the bow i shown you was 30 lb
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

sorry for the double post someone delete the first one
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Shadowshutter!
You mentioned you also like the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanigan, I wanted to let you know that I am one of the Global Moderators for a website called "Halt's Playground" which is an RPG based on that series.
You assume and identity as a character in the series and write back and forth with others telling the story as you go. It is a heck of alot of fun and is great practice for writers and readers. You are doing a great job with your correspondence so far and we would love to have you come check it out!

So please be invited to come join us on Halt's Playground!

http://araluenrpg.proboards.com/index.cgi

Ringulf on both sites! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

Ringulf wrote:Shadowshutter!
You mentioned you also like the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanigan, I wanted to let you know that I am one of the Global Moderators for a website called "Halt's Playground" which is an RPG based on that series.
You assume and identity as a character in the series and write back and forth with others telling the story as you go. It is a heck of alot of fun and is great practice for writers and readers. You are doing a great job with your correspondence so far and we would love to have you come check it out!

So please be invited to come join us on Halt's Playground!

http://araluenrpg.proboards.com/index.cgi

Ringulf on both sites! :mrgreen:
I ve registered but how in Halts name I create a character?
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

made him and his gooooooood