Pocket sticks

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Pocket sticks

Post by Dailir »

I was looking around on the internet and reading around and I found something called a pocket stick or a yawara stick. Its a small wooden stick anciently made in Japan that is held in the palm and used to jab pressure points and as a fist hardener for punching. It got me thinking why there wouldn't be a european equivilent. I mean, if the europeans used a sword with a pommel, eventually the pommel is used sometime, and a yawara stick would act jsut like a pommel without the sword. And perhaps a ranger would use a similar weapon, especially for stealth rather than having a big waving shiny sword. What do you think?
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
kaelln

Re: Pocket sticks

Post by kaelln »

Actually, while it's not documented in Tolkien, the Rangers in the Ranger's Apprentice series use something like this. I seem to remember it being mentioned in at least two of the Ranger's Apprentice books I've read.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Dailir wrote:...I found something called a pocket stick or a yawara stick. ...It got me thinking why there wouldn't be a european equivilent.
The simple answer is that wherever there are people with fists, there are fistloads. While I cannot think of a systematized European form precisely equivalent to Yawara-jitsu, this doesn't mean it didn't exist, and given the similarities between Medieval European Ringen (wrestling) techniques and jujitsu, it's probable sticks or other fistloads were utilized to enhance techniques there just as in Asia.

There is a reference to a palm stick in Letters from Italy by Mr. Stuart Rose, from 1819:

"In this place also and at Florence people contend with what may be called courteous weapons, that is, with the unarmed fist; but at Pisa and Leghorn they clench a cylindrical piece of stick which projects at each end of the doubled fist, and inflicts a cruel wound when they strike obliquely. I am nearly certain that I have seen the representation of some antique statue with the clenched hand armed in the same manner, and the stick secured to the fist by strings; but I have no recollection where."

This is a description of precisely what you're looking for, albeit rather late, though his reference to a depiction of the same or similar contrivance on "some antique statue" points to much earlier use. It is possible he may have been seeing a portrayal of the Roman cestus, which, while a fistload and tied to the hand, is certainly not a stick!
Last edited by Odigan on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

There are quite a few of the small striking sticks, the one you mentioned is oriental, as is the vajra, or my favorite the kubotan. There are many variants from all over the world, we even have tactical pens now that are designed to hide in your shirt pocket, are ss and let you use the same skills to do a "Jason Bourne" on your opponent.

Out of all of these, though I am sure we can dig up other european examples. There is one that is used in the Scandinavian art of Stav called a "tien". It is a small batton that looks a bit like one piece of a small nun chuku perhaps a bit stubbier and thicker around. I have one that is carved with runes and is a "Trell" or "Thrall" (anglo saxon) weapon. They are inconspicuous and effective but require a very good martial skill base in place to be proficient, as it is just the natural extention of a barehanded system.

In Tantojutsu you are trained to use a sheathed knife or Tanto for this skill as well, so I imagine that if you used a small utility seax or dagger in a wooden sheath you could employ the same tactics. (I like the little horse head utility seax I made for Brandwyn for this as it is a multy pupose tool, hanging around your neck already, with just the right dimensions)

One of the chief elements for me is that the weapon should fit snugly in the hand and not be so thick as to weaken the grip, or when punching, you can seperate the circle of your fist and hurt fingers. You want your fist hard, not extended around the circumfrance of the stick.
The second thing is to make sure that the ends of the stick, knife, iron bar etc, are approximately an inch above, and below the fist. This will be much more effective in using strikes to pressure points and having your tool concentrate the damage while keeping it away from your fist.
I have a dandy little octagonal iron chisel that I sometimes keep with me that allows me to use it as a kubotan with a bit of a tiny axe blade too!
So I have the best of both worlds in a very unsuspicious tool, one a dwarf is trained in from birth! Hee Hee! :mrgreen:

Oh and PS yes! they were referenced in the Ranger's Apprentice books in a couple of places! Read them to find out! :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Last year, I attended a short class about the Fiore's "Flower of Battle" bastoncello section. This might be similar but not palm sized sticks as you're mentioning.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

kaelln wrote:Actually, while it's not documented in Tolkien, the Rangers in the Ranger's Apprentice series use something like this. I seem to remember it being mentioned in at least two of the Ranger's Apprentice books I've read.
Yes indeed, the Strikers. They were two solid brass rods, wrapped in leather, with a small knob on each end. Based on description, I would probably guess that they were about 7" a piece. They also had the ability to be screwed together to throw at enemies for non-lethal incapacitation.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I have been in the martial arts for 30 years, Yawara sticks were really big in the early 80"s, typically attached to a key chain. Kubota is another term they used, to market them back then. My uncle carried one and even took a class on how to use it.
I found that if I must reach for a weapon, a short wood stick is not my first choice.
The well trained hand can do the same thing, as the Yawara, hit the same pressure points....and is hopefully always at the end of your wrist.

RHG.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.