Star Broach Pics

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kiriana
Haeropada

Star Broach Pics

Post by Kiriana »

Ok I posted pics of the broaches on FB on our MK account.. and if you are friended with that acct you can see the pics here
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 384&type=1

However.. I will post two pics to show you front and BACK here so you can see he didn't put a pin but he put a loop hole which will allow us to attach them however we choose. Can sew it, or even use a large hat pin, or any other way you want.. even a cord to wear it as a necklace.
Attachments
100_0714.jpg
100_0714.jpg (100.19 KiB) Viewed 14608 times
100_0713.jpg
100_0713.jpg (113.68 KiB) Viewed 14608 times
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
mooncalf

Re: Star Broach Pics

Post by mooncalf »

Moo!

Image The broaches are beautiful! Image
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Those look great!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Man, those things look cool! Very nice!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

These are cool, but aren't any of you a bit concerned the danger they might pose should you fall upon one in course of adventuring?
They're a tad pointy for something worn so close to the chest/head/neck region...
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Which is why one is going on my longhunter's bag and the other on one of my Ranger pouches...where the points are least likely to do me damage. Not getting one of them anywhere near my throat/neck. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Well I really wouldn't wear one as a necklace hehe

But as a broach on a tunic or as decoration on a pouch or something.. they are great. If I were to wear it as a cloak pin... I wouldn't use it right in the middle of my throat.. I would wrap my cloak off center and pin it off to the side.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That's what I am planning on too off to the side, But just one question. How do you plan to pin it if it has just the one ring on the back did. I'm sure I can figure something out but I wondered if anyone had a standard attachment thought up? :?
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

You can use a large bronze pin or fibula to go through the cloth and loop. Me, I'm going to add a pin to them.

Not going to pin on the shoulder; fought in too many cloaks. They'll stay put when standing about, but not in serious action and I want no part of those pointy objects anywhere near tender places. :)

I'm actually tinkering with the notion of brazing one of them to an oval bronze backing to which the pin will be attached, but we'll see.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ooh that gives me an idea!
If I use a large flat washer(a large zink fender washer would do nicely) I can put the washer on the back or inside, then put the pin through the top inside of the washer hole and cloth. Then slide it through the ring on the back of the star and back through the cloth and out of the hole on the opposite side inside the washer hole. both ends of the pin would be against the bare washer and the bight of the pin on the front of the cloth would hold the star on the outside of the cloth.
If the washer is larger in diameter than the broach's points, I do not think the points would be dangerous and the brooch would sit on the outside of the cloth, while the washer remained hidden. :D
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

that is a good idea.. kind of like how we would put a piece of thick paper or cardboard on the undersides of our jackets or shirts of our military uniforms.. to keep ribbons and such in place, and firm. Makes for a cleaner appearance, and helps when the cloth the pins are going through aren't thick enough to keep the grommets snug. And helped when actually pinning to keep from stabbing yourself hehe.

Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Hey.. it's only up for 3 more days but here are some hat pins you can attach the brooches with..

Or at least give people an idea of what you can use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-HAND-FORGED-C ... 256a5444fe

edit: the items don't have a size showing but, most hat pins range from 3 to 5 inches long.. and these look to be about 3" judging by the wood grain in the pic.

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Another option to putting them on would be to tie them on. Two small holes where it goes and some string through the loop. Run the string through the loop and one in each hole, tie it and your done.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice