Theft alert: stolen anvil

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Theft alert: stolen anvil

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Last night my anvil was stolen from my shop. This anvil weighs in at 125 pounds and is double horned, and has a very small chip at the corner of the face, the under side of one horn has my initials on it,scrawled with an electric engraver. I really hope that I get this one back but its fifty -fifty that it went to a scrap yard. I had a knife project and an axe that I was working on that I wanted to post here....But I guess thats finished. Just wanted to let everyone know on the odd chance that it turns up on e-bay or some such.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Kiriana
Haeropada

Re: Theft alert: stolen anvil

Post by Kiriana »

Any pics by chance? Like maybe even in a pic you took while working on something in your shop?

Mostly cuz I'm a visual person and what you describe and what I picture it being.. don't always mesh hehehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

No pics of the anvil.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Walking away with a 125lb piece of steel.. umm yeah someone wanted that.. Some people just need to be shot!!

Ooops did I say that outloud? :evil:
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Its no worse than what I said....Its getting bad here, I've been dealing with gas theives all summer. What gripes me is that the anvil probably went for scrap, and the proceeds went to someones drug habit....I really had to scrape for that anvil....but I'm back to my RailRoad track...Oh well I did it before.

I have my ideas who did it, this is a small town, after all. If my idea is correct it wasnt 2 months ago I gave this person $200.00, because his credit card was maxed out at the grocery store ...he does have a young child so I dont begrudge the money. It used to be "be a neighbor
have a neighbor" now its "be a neighbor, be a target"...damn shame...

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

R.D.Metcalf wrote: It used to be "be a neighbor have a neighbor" now its "be a neighbor, be a target"...damn shame...
That's a sad commentary, true though it is.

Are there a limited number of scrapyards in your area that might've purchased the item? Though galling, it may be possible to buy it back from them.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Thing is a scrap yard weighs your load in and your empty truck out...they usually have no clue what they have, as the guy on the loader just scoops up the metal and loads a truck bound for ....where ever scrap goes. If you lose property at a scrap yard, its gone.. usually within an hour or two as the trucks come to take it, or more people dump more scrap on top of it.

I know a few scrap buyers and they are decent people, Antonio and Kimo run loaders and said they would keep an eye out, so buying it back would'nt be an issue, actually finding it....Now thats a problem...

I have took some very slight satisfaction knowing that my anvil would fetch an easy $500-$600 maybe more, while it might've got maybe $12-$13.00 and some change as scrap.... However, I hope whoever stole it was stupid enough to go for the big money, thats what the sheriffs dept. is gunning for....either way the theif or theives are going to come out looking like idiots.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

May it fall on his foot. :evil:
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Anyway you can either spike it or it's replacement down ?

Hopefully it turns up.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

If I ever have another real anvil, or am lucky enough to get this one back, it will be chained to my stump. As I never did any real heavy forging I just had ol' dirty girty settin on top of the stump. Theft honestly never crossed my mind.

"Wisdom: the knowledge you obtain when its too damn late to do any good"

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Its so sad to hear, I hope you get it back. Everyday I hate people more and more.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

I'd keep an eye on craigslist.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Willrett wrote:Its so sad to hear, I hope you get it back. Everyday I hate people more and more.

Hate is a wasted emotion, brother. It could've been worse. I do appreciate the the well wishes though.

Jonathan, we're keeping an eye on the web and planning to hit some local flea markets this weekend.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Really sorry to hear of this, R.D. I hope it gets resolved soon. We used to own property in another county that was regularly picked over by thieves and antique dealers so I know the feeling.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

I hope you get it back, and that you are able to catch whoever took it. It seems you have to almost chain everything to a stump nowadays. :(
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.