Combination scabbard/quivers

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Odigan
Vendor

Combination scabbard/quivers

Post by Odigan »

An new thread over at MyArmoury.com which may be of interest.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: Combination scabbard/quivers

Post by Ernildir »

Interesting concept. Thanks for sharing.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK we are gonna have to try this one after The Holidays! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh very kool... and I am the one who shoots crossbow hehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

This is begging to be done by those of you who've made CS Seax's into Ranger blades. The scabbard on one of those is wide enough to really take advantage of this. Granted, it'd only be long enough for crossbow bolts, and we've never really discussed the use of a crossbow for Rangering since they're not mentioned anywhere in Tolkien that I'm aware of, but hey...it'd still be cool.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Crossbows may not have been mentioned specifically for rangering, but PJ had several of his Uruk Hai with them in the siege of Helmsdeep. I will have to dig in and see whether the book references the technology though there are a number of contemperary technologies that seem to support it. The crossbow dates back in one form or another quite a ways before the times of Price John as there are viking references to it being fought against.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The crossbow was used by the Romans for hunting, if that helps.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

In past threads people have discussed wearing their swords over their shoulder. While they can't easliy be drawn in this position, they interfere less when normal walking along a game trail.

For those who do prefer a sword over shoulder/back there is no reason this scabbard quiver couldn't work with normal sized arrows.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

If I remember correctly, Sir PJ had Legolas' long fighting knives (though there was only supposed to be one) sheathed alongside his quiver.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

And actually, if your sword rig was set up the right way, and slung high enough at your waist, in theory this could totally be adapted to take full-size arrows. I bet a falchion/quiver combo would look great for someone doing an archer/ranger.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The Scythians, I think, had sword sheaths integral to arrow quivers on occasion, although their swords were rather short and they did not, so far as I know, use back quivers. Still, integral sword sheath and arrow quivers are not entirely unknown. I should probably hunt up the source for that so you folks can have a gander for yourselves.

I have a serious admiration for the Scythians, in case it hasn't become obvious. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Well even IF crossbows aren't considered a "ranger" weapon.. it's what I use anyway hehe.. I like regular bow and arrow but drawing one over and over actually wears me down fast and aggrivates my pinched nerves in my back. Crossbow.. although it's not something easily carried around like a bow is.. I still prefer it hehe.. and it's what I shoot in SCA as well.. I have a custom made one by Dave at New World Arbalest. 75# and shoots beautifully hehe.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I find this very interesting! Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Here is a nice tutorial for a crossbow bolt quiver:

http://mailmaker.tripod.com/leather/quiver/index.html

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh that is nice and made from wood.

I have two nice bolt quivers now that would easily mount to a sword scabbard. Erich and I have already started plotting that hehehe