Arrow draw

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Arrow draw

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

Ok, a quick and maybe simple question about arrow draw. If we have, say, a draw of 28 inches, does that include the arrowhead?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Arrow draw

Post by Eledhwen »

Generally no. The measurement is from the base of the arrowhead to the nock point. I have known others to do it differently but mostly this is the method the folks I know use and the one I use.

Tip: tune your arrows before fletching them; once complete they'll be accurate as can be. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Many thanks, friend Eledhwen! Does it matter what kind of head, like a bodkin?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I use the base of the ferule as the measuring point personally...it has worked better for me over the years. Except with trade points where I measure from the base of the head itself since the tang is slotted into the arrow shaft.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

My arrows come out about 3 inches from the back of the bow... does that make a difference?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Just means they are a bit heavier than they have to be. Length plays into weight, naturally, and the spine of the shaft. Generally speaking, longer arrows have more spine, shorter arrows less...the amount of flex in the arrow as it goes around the bow shaft.

Proper arrow length plays into accuracy and range; getting the length of the arrow as close to your proper draw length as you can helps remove some of the variables in accurate shooting. So does tuning them, but these days I do not know many people who go that far.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!