Let's clothe a ranger.

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Let's clothe a ranger.

Post by Eric C »

Okay, I know that may sound a little strange. So, let me explain. I really need some new ranger duds (clothes for you younger rangers :lol: ). So I know there are tunics, jerkins etc... but I need to get a good idea of just what I need to be appropriately clothed. Keep in mind that not all of us have a background in medieval reenactment. I've never reenacted anything earlier than American Civ War. I understand that there are going to be different answers due to climate and so forth. That's okay, the information will help others that aren't in as moderate a climate as North Carolina. So, give me a rundown of what you believe - historically or from Tolkein's works or a mixture of both - a ranger should be wearing. I'm not concerned about weapons and such; that's covered in another subforum. I'm concerned with how a ranger is clothing him/herself.

Give me some good answers and I may turn this one into a "sticky." :twisted:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Let's clothe a ranger.

Post by deadextra »

For a ranger of the North, I think appropriate clothing could go a couple ways for the lower body.

First would be hosen bound up to the waistband of a set of braes. These also act as socks and do well crashing through brambles despite being mostly made of wool. For those who don't want to wear tights, I think a set of loose pants bound down with leg windings also would be quite good. In that case, the windings could either cover the foot or a separate set of socks go under shoes.

Next are shoes, either turnshoes or turnboots which come over the ankle. High boots more of a late thing and they were the dress of a horseman. Rangers had horses for sure, but I don't think most of us have the finances for a horse.

Over that, two layers of tunics. Inside layer being linen, outside wool. The skirt should go to the knees at least, maybe some simple embellishments on the hems.

Over the tunics go the belt. A bronze buckle of a basic shape would fit here, but I have another suggestion which goes with the lack of gleaming decorations rangers were to have worn. There are several images of belts in this style, it's a wider sort which is good for bearing more weight like a sword, there is no buckle, and it's more adjustable than the holes of a conventional belt.

On the belt I only keep a few things, one large bag for storage, a smaller one for religious items, and a utility knife. I feel that everything else like a coin purse and flint should be tucked away in your bedroll or larger bag when they aren't being used, just to prevent pilfering or losing those important items which really don't need to be accessed at a moment's notice.

Next goes the classic cloak. Wool for warmth, single ply or lined with a contrasting color. I like the look of square cloaks but that may just be me.

To top it off, a hood with mantle. Any materiel would work here, even leather.

That's it for me, everything else is more weapons, armor, and equipment.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

My opinions on this particular subject are an amalgam of several different genre.

I look at there being many ranger archtypes and they all stem from different time periods in history. so lat us say that on this forum two main individuals stand out as the pattern to follow.

Strider-(pre revalation to the world as Aragorn) Chieftan of the Dunadainic Rangers

Farimir- Son of Denathor, brother to Boromir and captain of the Gondorian Rangers based in Ithilian.

We know from book and movie that these rangers had a style based loosly on the Archer/Yoeman class of the time periods in mideaval society of around the 12 to the 15th century. This would also cover the literary scene of say Robin Hood/Ivanhoe to the Black arrow and such.

So from the inside out:

Breas or other similer undergarments normally made of linen or wool or a mixture refered to as linsey woolsy later on. Socks, hose or hosen, leggins/tights or trousers (pants) may have been worn over these and made of the same materials (though if you are fond of some of the other fantasy materials for them some take a liking to this rustic leathers)

An under tunic or light shirt may be short sleeved if an outer tunic is also to be used. or long sleeved to poke out from a long sleeved or three quarter sleeved outer tunic or kertle.

Then it broadens a bit.

Jerkin, Gambesan, heavy tunic or coat, depending on climate. possibly a vest, any of these outers can be linen,wool, fleece, leather/suede ect.

A hood or cloak was almost universal and covered time periods from the dark ages to the rennaisance. Hats of several different types and styles may be applied from the viking types of wool and fur to the felt or leather hats with plumes (according to many tolkien Artists). So many types it's had to be specific.

Remember to select colors that meld with your envirement and season, all manner of browns, greys and greens are appropriate, and dont forget some of those seasonal colors like mustard and pumpkin and lighter greens.
I would stay away from white even in snowy winter as a true white is rarely natural and always attracts attention. Off-whites, creams and greys work better.

Clothing belts are normally thin, weapon belts and Baldrics thick to support weight and distribute by greater surface area the weight you are putting on them. Black, browns, dark reds and greens are always great for leather belts and accesories.

Boots vary in the tales from the later period tall boots to the more common shorter variety to shoes like the turnshoe. many who would wear lover shoes would wear the waningas/putties that we would call leg wraps and were nothing but longe wrappings of cloth theat circled the leg from anckle to knee. Then hooked or tied up with crossed straps to secure them.

That's all pretty basic. You can get ino armors and such but remember that a ranger values freedom of movement, speed and stealth over durability and defence (unless you are a fat old dwarf like me) so if you wear it make sure it is as light quiet and subdued as the rest of your kit.

That is as complete as I can be at this time of night on what to wear. I am sure there are a lot of other styles and preferences and I am sure you will get many from this forum!

As a rare Dwarven ranger I keep mostly to these guidlines but inject a Norse flair and my vues of decoration are a bit more toward the intricacy of embelishment. To a dwarf, if it is worth making, it is worth decoration artistically as long as it does not lessen it's utility to show pride in craftsmanship.

Hobbits and Elves may also have variable racial proclivities.

You may also want to be creative as to where you are where you were, and who you may have traded with or have been rewarded with and by whom.

Lots of choices for rangers, no uniform these were free men, rugged individuals, serving a cause but living life by their own code, their dress code would, in my opinion, have reflected that. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

From "Weapons and Warfare", Stider's movie outfit consisted of: a fine linen shirt, black woolen hose, tall boots, a long leather sleevless jerkin, secured with braided cord, and over this a coat of thicker tougher leather. Strider carried a cloak, which was rolled up on his back when not in use.

Weapons and Warfare does not detail the movie garb of the Ithilien Rangers. However, this is from http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hum ... Ranger.htm the LOTR costume research site.

Ithilien Rangers wear: a light wool long-sleeved shirt, a long leather or wool jerkin, a heavy wool tabard, trousers, a vest with attached sleeves, both either leather or wool, a triangular yoke, again either in leather or wool, low boots with knee high chaps, a light hooded cloak made of a thin material, leather vambraces, an underbracer of quilted fabric, a mask that probably doubles as a scarf, and various leather belts and straps.

As you can see, Strider's initial movie outfit was quite simple, and the Ithilian Ranger outfit is quite complex. Of course these descriptions only relate to the movies, and are neither historical or canonical. I don't think there is a whole lot of canonical description in the books of Ranger garb. In my view, which may not be the majority view, matters of practicality, availability and style trump historical accuracy. In other words, I suggest using what works, what you can get, and what looks cool to you.

If I was going to pick and choose my ideal Ranger outfit, I would choose: shirt, trousers (no offense but I can't see encasing my legs in wool, like sausages, or wrapping them up like a mummy), high boots, tunic and/or jerkin, cloak -unhooded, separate hood attached to that cool looking Ithilien yoke thing, leather coat, scarf, vambraces, and belts, straps and underthings as needed. These would be mixed and matched as needed for weather and terrain. As for materials, I would tend to go heavy on leather, because I like it, it's durable, I can get it (usually), and I know how to work with it. I am uncertain about using the amount of wool that seems popular on this forum. Wool isn't readily available here, and it tends to be expensive, and besides, I can't sleep under even one sheet after March, much less encase myself in wool. So I'm going to suggest more than one outfit; at the very least a summer and a winter outfit. However, that's just what's cool to me, and actual experience would no doubt inform and transform my opinions. :P
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Im gonna go really basic with some links to premade items that have the look I like. I also agree on at least two sets. Leather, wool, linen, linsey woolsy, or canvas.

Pants- Wool with leather on the insides of the legs and knees. for warmer weather Linen or linsey woolsy with the same leather on the legs.
http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-5 ... pants.aspx

Shirts- Long sleeve again wool with leather on the elbows and tie closure, warmer weather linen or linsey woolsy with leather elbows and tie closure.
http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-8 ... shirt.aspx

Over tunic with hood- see the below huntingdon kit but wool

Boots- Leather calf to knee high

Cloak- any style works in any of different styles wool or canvas.

I also like http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-3591 ... emble.aspx as a basic look without the velvet pants.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I really think, besides the descriptions we have from the books, that Nglia Dickson and her crew got it right from the films, imo. Just enough of everything to make an outfit that is believable for a wearied wanderer of the Wilds, but yet transmits the fact that he is a bit more than he seems. Though I would say from a historical standpoint that Dead is on track. For myself, more of the fantasy and film inspiration.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

My kit is ever evolving but for a basic start/restart i'd have a linen shirt a wool tunic and wool pants.
@Willrett I recently aquired a pair of those pants in brown fom kult of athena (best price i could find) and they are pretty nice.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Showing some fashion choices,all of which can be covered with a geey cloak

Sleeveless coat with lien shirt and lightweight pants:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure934.jpg

Wool tunic:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... e108-2.jpg

multiple styles:
Linen tunic, leather tunic and a wool tunic
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... sses-2.jpg

High in the tundra young rangers wrap themselves in the skins of the great white bear:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... 002-11.jpg

Not only do I get a sight gag, I also show the longer awaited (or is that threaten) Bearskin rug picture

:D :D
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Peter Remling wrote:Showing some fashion choices,all of which can be covered with a geey cloak

High in the tundra young rangers wrap themselves in the skins of the great white bear:
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... 002-11.jpg

Not only do I get a sight gag, I also show the longer awaited (or is that threaten) Bearskin rug picture

:D :D
:shock: :shock: :shock: OH THE HORROR Now I'll have that terrible image in my head all day!!! :lol: :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I, personally, prefer Ranger's clothing itself, meaning top and bottom fabric garments excluding leather, to be mostly drawn from Viking influences, meaning somewhat baggier pants and simple tunics, belted off. I definitely would argue that the boots should be tall, midway up the calves at least, due to the direct reference to high boots of subtle leather in the Prancing Pony sequence. Baggier clothing breaks up the silhouette, frees up movement, and allows for additional layers during the colder months of the year.

As it stands currently, my basic clothing consists of a linen t-tunic under a similar heavy wool one, all over a pair of mid-weight wool drawstring pants, held in by calf-high leather boots. Throw a belt on over it, and I can happily wander or stalk through the woods for days. Wool already fights moisture well on its own, but tossing an easy wool or canvas cloak over the top takes care of any additional weather issues I might have.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Hmm, nice idea. I like deadextra's take, which is actually very much like my current kit.

Here's my take on a default generic ranger. Mostly going with the North as a medievalized 18th c. concept. I think most of it can be supported in the text.

The only stuff I'm going out on a limb with, are the buckler and the moccasins. I add the buckler because I like them. As for boots, I just have a problem with the look. Tolkien always said boots, and I think he had late 17th/18th c. riding boots in mind. They just don't fit with my concept of rangering.

-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

Good looking ranger caedmon! :)
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Caedmon,

I just noticed the way the cloak in your picture is sewn down the center to just about the center of the chest.

I have been looking for a way to keep my cloak from riding up on me and choaking me out!

Is this what you use and does it work like it looks like it would?

Please let me know what you think about the pros and cons on this closure.

It also frees up your nifty star brooch to flip up your bow hand side and pin the cloak back. VERY nice!
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Excellent diagrams, Caedmon! I love most of what you've done with that!

I might only amend two things:

First off, I probably wouldn't go for the 18th century style knee breeches and high stockings. Having worn these previously, I don't personally feel that they are very comfortable or practical for ranging (though I'm sure there are scores of 18th Century reenactors who disagree with me). I find the breeches somewhat restrictive, and the stockings always seem to bunch, twist, or fall in such a way as to need a lot of adjustment, in my experience. Of course, a decent pair of garters can solve most of these problems, but ultimately I just don't find it very "rangery."

Instead, I would probably go with something akin to the Thorsberg trousers. The built-in feet do away with an immediate need for socks or stockings (though these can still be worn underneath or over the top for additional warmth, or just an extra layer of protection), and from what pictures I've seen, they appear to sit comfortably on the natural waist. They aren't overly baggy to get caught on things, but they give plenty of room to move around in, if tailored correctly.

Mind you, all of the above is purely theoretical for me, as I have never worn those types of trousers, but overall they seem like a very practical design.

The second thing I would say is that the moccasins don't seem to jive very well with my own idea of a Middle Earth Ranger, That being said, I've seen several people wear some very nice looking moccasins around here, and they can definitely fit the part. But for me, I'd probably go with something more like the taller riding boots of the 13th through 15th centuries, like these: http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/cata ... cts_id=413
They just give a more Medieval European feel to me than the average moccasin, and would provide plenty of protection against brush and the like when trekking through the wild.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ringulf wrote:Caedmon,

I just noticed the way the cloak in your picture is sewn down the center to just about the center of the chest.

I have been looking for a way to keep my cloak from riding up on me and choaking me out!

Is this what you use and does it work like it looks like it would?

Please let me know what you think about the pros and cons on this closure.

It also frees up your nifty star brooch to flip up your bow hand side and pin the cloak back. VERY nice!
:mrgreen:
I second that! Love the look with the cloak!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"