Sword Recommendations

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Sword Recommendations

Post by RangerKellen »

I want to buy a sword but I do not know what type of sword I should get. There are so many! Any suggestions for a sword and short sword/knife combo with sheaths?
~RangerKellen
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Sword Recommendations

Post by Manveruon »

This thread talks a bit about the types of swords the rest of the rangers on this site prefer:
http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... =28&t=1452

Some folks talk a bit about the swords they own or have owned, others (like myself) talk a bit about the swords they'd like to own if ever they could afford it. Good info in there all-around.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Thanks!
-J.R.R. Tolkien
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Let's see if you did your homework with that thread........

IMHO I'd say given the historic time frame Tolkien is drawing from and his description of Malle in that period I'd say your looking at anywhere from a Xa to a XII with maybe a XIV in there. Anduril was, IMO again, most likely a XIIa or a XIIIa given the types of armor it would have encountered in service. While the movies like their plate harness Tolkien was clearly describing Malle in his writings. It safe to assume that the weapons would have evolved as a response to the types of armor they would have to defeat just as has been evident in history.

For myself, I used to carry a Christian Fletcher Borderwatch but now I'm more inclined to carry either my type XII arming sword (It's on the shorter side of the XII family) or a Type XIV such as the Albion Yeoman for extended engagements and an axe and long knife for "Patrolling the shire" so to speak. For war I'd beef it up and take either a XIIa similar to the Albion Baron or XVIa like the Crecy or Brescia Spadona. It's important to note that while Tolkien loved swords they we're not primary weapons in use through history. A spear or bow for range work better and an axe or mace are much more easily serviced weapons in the field.
Winter is coming
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Oh okay. That helps a lot! Thanks!
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

mcapanelli wrote:Let's see if you did your homework with that thread........

IMHO I'd say given the historic time frame Tolkien is drawing from and his description of Malle in that period I'd say your looking at anywhere from a Xa to a XII with maybe a XIV in there. Anduril was, IMO again, most likely a XIIa or a XIIIa given the types of armor it would have encountered in service. While the movies like their plate harness Tolkien was clearly describing Malle in his writings. It safe to assume that the weapons would have evolved as a response to the types of armor they would have to defeat just as has been evident in history.

For myself, I used to carry a Christian Fletcher Borderwatch but now I'm more inclined to carry either my type XII arming sword (It's on the shorter side of the XII family) or a Type XIV such as the Albion Yeoman for extended engagements and an axe and long knife for "Patrolling the shire" so to speak. For war I'd beef it up and take either a XIIa similar to the Albion Baron or XVIa like the Crecy or Brescia Spadona. It's important to note that while Tolkien loved swords they we're not primary weapons in use through history. A spear or bow for range work better and an axe or mace are much more easily serviced weapons in the field.
Good post. I would only modify it to include up to the type XIII's, not just XII's (though your reference to Anduril is duly noted).

I myself prefer my XIIIb.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

For those not intimate with the Oakeshott Typology...

-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Thanks for the diagram Caedmon! :)
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yes, thanks a million! I often get a bit mixed up on the typology.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

I prefer shortswords. Sword are too long and heavy for me. An average sword is 1.20m long and I am only 1,6!
Shortswords are better for those that prefer the close combat.
And as Halt said you should your enemies with the bow so they don't come too close.

Nik
...I am Ranger, my Lord...
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

I remember when Halt for told Will that! And yes I have been looking at short swords to get because I can actually swing them! :)
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

Swords are too long and heavy for our age.
I actually fight with a knife and a Hand-Axe( one in each hand)
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

shadowshutter wrote:Swords are too long and heavy for our age.
I actually fight with a knife and a Hand-Axe( one in each hand)
Heavy? What do you think the weight of the average sword is?
Winter is coming
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

3kilos-3,5 but I am not sure. Whatever the weight is it is too difficult to swing it if it is almost in your height!
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

shadowshutter wrote:3kilos-3,5 but I am not sure. Whatever the weight is it is too difficult to swing it if it is almost in your height!
That's not accurate at all. First off, most of what Tolkien describes are single handed arming or riding swords between 27" to 31" in blade length. A sword like that would be in the 2 to 3 LB range. The bias of the blade will be towards the cut but in the case of a XII it'll be further back towards the hilt then say a X and so will feel more neutral in the hand and have a limited thrusting ability. The swords your describing are also not cumbersome at all. In fact my Albion Meyer I train with is 47" in hight and moves as fast as I can move it. I can change my cutting angle on a dime and transition from thrust to slice to cut extremely fast. Weight alone doesn't even come close to telling to story of how a sword will handle. You should check out some quality reproductions if you get the chance. Maybe take a class or two in HEMA. It'll change your perspective for sure.
Winter is coming