Staff/walking stick

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett

Staff/walking stick

Post by Willrett »

After Peter gave me a link to boots on museumreplicas.com I can across a fighting staff https://www.museumreplicas.com/p-552-fi ... staff.aspx

This made me wonder what everyone carries for a staff or if you carry one.

Let me know
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I have several staves I made years ago with copper tubing around both ends for support and impact. I aslo have a staff with a handpainted ceramic head, painted as Odin complete with a leather eye patch.

If on a ME trek I'd more than likely take a spear though and use that as a staff. I have a leaf bladed one with it's name carved into it and a leather grip wrap.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'm not a big fan of spears and staffs, but I can certainly appreciate the value of having one. I just don't like lugging them around with me...makes moving harder, and I fancy myself fairly sure-footed, so it's not really a balance issue. If one is available, I'll gladly use it in a combat situation, but I usually don't have one handy.

However, if I have to choose, I'm a bigger fan of a staff than a spear. I like cool looking staffs with gnarled bundles of roots at the top. They look awesome and very "olde worlde" so to speak, but the bundle of roots makes a great club, and there's no chance of cutting my hand/poking myself on the blade of a spear while carrying it blade point up, and no chance of dulling the point if I'm carrying it blade point down.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

I have found that having a five foot staff with me enhances my stability in the woods. It allows surefooted movement without having to constantly look at the ground.

The whole staff vs. spear thought both have merit. In combat, a bladed staff would grant the user greater reach. But the practicality weighs heavily with the staff. Not only is it safer, it, too can be used quite effectively in defense.

There is a good chance that wherever one finds themselves in the woods, they will be able to find a suitable staff rather quickly.

Just a thought.......
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I typically cart about a six foot octagonal white oak staff with me which people regard as a walking stick. I've been learning southern style staff and practice with this particular stick daily. Very useful skill and tool.

Siani
Nandalad!
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

I have this straight grain oak staff. I've done a little staff work but would love to do more.

KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

One thing that I have been struggling with is how to handle both a staff and a bow. I am currently floor tillering a short yew bow that I will make into a take down bow. The goal is for it to just fit into my ruck. I doubt I will have more than 35 pounds of pull on it.

Tactically speaking, having my long range weapon packeted away is not the best option either. But I do use the staff a lot more than the bow.

What have been your experiences?
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I use my staff all the time, but the bow only when I am hunting. It's a composite bow of the Hungarian type so shorter and good for brushy woods.

But yes, I use the staff more than anything else; for testing the ground, stabilising myself on hills carting and levering, all sorts of things. And it makes a fine defensive weapon I must say. I'm very thankful I took up shaolin kung fu for health...that's where I got the staff training from.

I've been told spear is next, staff being in part a lead in to spear use. The Taiji I am taking has two sword forms too, which is a bonus. I'm not there yet though.

Siani
Nandalad!
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Greetings, all,

One option for carrying a spear would be a sheath for the head. Not difficult to make, and it would make for safer carry. You could also line it with felt, to hold oil, I suppose.

Peter, I'm intrigued by your mention of copper tubing at the ends of the staff. That sounds like a great idea. How did you do that?

Another option for fighting techniques for staff (or spear) would be to check out either Joseph Swetnam or George Silver, for a brief glimpse of how the English used the staff. Spear would be very similar, actually.

But the thought of carrying both bow and spear, or staff. It does sound awkward.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

To add the tube I went to a plumbing supply and picked up some copper joiners (not sure if that is the term) just a 2" long tube with the same exterior diameter as my staff.

I then filed away a little where the tubing was going to cover, just enough so it would not slide on. I then heated the copper tubeing and placed the expanded metal over the wood. I believe I usedsome epoxy also though it really won't be necssary. The final step i to contersink a nail into either end. This will give you the wood compressed rom the outside when the copper cools and compressed from the inside for a very tight fit. Be sure to drive your nails completely in, leaveing the wood to grip the ground. Leaving the nail exposed will decrease traction when the nailhead comes in contactwith a stone and the staff will slide.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... g_0553.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... g_0552.jpg

This ones about 6' 6" They also sell copper pipeends (little caps) these are also good but glue a leather disc on the bottom for the same reason as you are driving the nail heads in.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Can anyone remember in the film "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves"? There was a scene where they smuggled bows into the castle concealed in wooden staves. I really doubt that this is very practical, let alone possible.

What about a sheath for a short bow on your back? Or, if you're moving around without your ruck, a bow sling of some kind.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Sam wrote:
What about a sheath for a short bow on your back? Or, if you're moving around without your ruck, a bow sling of some kind.
The sheath works well. This one is lined and while the bow pictured is a short recruve hunting bow, it's actually big enough for one of my longbows. The 2nd one is just a little too large but I'm making a small sheath for the exposed end so it won't get damaged.

It has a drawstring on the end plus two carry rings to attach to a pack.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... g_0555.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... g_0556.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... g_0557.jpg
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I've a bow case almost done. Sorting it out to attach to either the pack or the quiver..kind of a universal system.

Siani
Nandalad!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Sam wrote:Can anyone remember in the film "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves"? There was a scene where they smuggled bows into the castle concealed in wooden staves. I really doubt that this is very practical, let alone possible.

I remember that scene well. It's probably doable, but it'd require a REALLY thick staff, and the bow could have ZERO riser thickness, really. It'd have to be the most basic selfbow possible, and couldn't be too heavy poundage-wise or it'd snap where the riser should be.

Hopefully by the end of the week, if not then next week, my new quiver'll be finished. It sports a sheath of sorts built onto it for my short horsebow-esque recurve. I'll post some pics with a description etc. here when it comes.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.