Hammocks?

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Hammocks?

Post by Beornmann »

Have had one for a while, but only time ever used was once in the jungles of Panama with a poncho-hooch for covering. Not a fan.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Arathen123
Wayfarer

Post by Arathen123 »

can people post some pics of their set ups?
I made a promise, Mr Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to.
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

I used a hammock on occasion in the Corps, when in a bivouac area, but not while on patrol. Then it was crawl up into the most hostile looking briar patch in the area. You know, where nobody in his right mind would go.

But, observations:

Yes, put some covering under you, as well as on top.

If you have several people using them, do not share trees. Otherwise, when one person shifts and adjusts, so will the guy tied to the same tree.

If you have somone in the party who has not been in a hammock and is just too stiff, it can make for an evening's entertainment. I once watched a lieutenant make a good ten tries before finally giving up. :lol: And then, a couple of us just went and sat in ours, swinging back and forth...

We used net hammocks that folded up small. There were no issues with rain during this period (except one night actually on patrol, when we were sleeping on the ground, go figure).
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Good info, thanks Pwyll!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains