The women in our lives

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

The women in our lives

Post by Eric C »

Tomorrow is our 15th anniversary. I wouldn't take anything for my wife. She has followed me into and out of many endeavors. Most recently, she has gotten into the whole ranger idea with me. There are four of us: myself, my wife, our 10 year-old son, and our 6 1/2 year-old daughter. While the boy and I are all about dressing out to head into the woods, the lady folk among us are still interested in being . . . well . . . women. In the field, it would be rather hard to tromp around in a skirt, but what about the times when we have a gathering, a feast, or some of us take off to a Ren Faire and want to represent the Dunedain. What ideas do you have about representing the women of the ranger folk?

Edit: Now that I've posted this here, I see that it would better fit in the Dunedain Culture subforum. Caedmon, if you see this, please feel free to move it.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

You can find one woman's perception on the Born of Hope site...a film being made for Net distribution only but very very good, concerning Aragorn's father and mother and their time just before Gilraen took him to Rivendell.

Siani
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

You might want to check out Robin of Sherwood, Marion's forest outfit has been mentioned as good Ranger type wear by female Rangers of my acquaintance.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Id love to get my wife into it but I might have to start with hiking and go from there.
mooncalf

Post by mooncalf »

Moo!

In our group we count more women than men, so we decided the following:
Whatever attribute or qualification is needed to become a southern ranger is given. There's no difference between sexes.

And if someone wants to be a civilian she/he wears her/his "off-duty"-costume. :wink:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

A very sensible appoach. :)

Siani
Nandalad!
Chris Russo

Re: The women in our lives

Post by Chris Russo »

This question has come up for myself recently. My wife, who has talked about getting into Rangering with me for some time, hasn't been certain if she wanted to portray a non-Ranger woman of the Dunedain or a full-fledged Ranger. Essentially, she's caught between the choice of Gilraen and the choice of Elgarain.

We were talking last night, and I think we finally touched on the crux of her indecision: she wants her gear to be functional in the field, so she's leaning Ranger, but she still wants it to be distinctively female, and not just a smaller version of my own kit.

Now I'm casting about, looking for inspiration. I don't suppose there's any way to make skirts that won't catch in the thornbrakes--I'm thinking something like the Native American skirt-and-leggings, or perhaps like an adapted version of Diane Mirro's tunape. (Any photos or ideas would be appreciated, of course.)

Is this the Forest Outfit you were referring to, Mir?
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

We don't need a skirt to be distinctly feminine.

Instead of a simple shirt, make a blouse instead...or wear it off the shoulder. I wear a chemise style top; I can wear it off the shoulder or pull the drawstring and bring it up like a ruffled neckline. Sleeves are drawstring puffed as well although mildly.

She could wear a bodice for support over that, or like myself, a vest made to support and emphasize the feminine without being tavern in style. Pants work just fine; our legs are different anyway being longer in the femur and angled a bit differently. Work a pair of braids either side of the head if the hair is long enough, then pull the back into a pony tail or braid it to..even leave it loose.

I have skirts too..since all of my time isn't Rangering. But for the forests and brush a skirt is going to be rather difficult at best. I recommend pants made to fit the feminine shape rather than simple drawstrings. I use a pattern derived from Civil War era pants...no suspenders and a lace up 'fly', formed to fit the derriere and hips but otherwise looking like other pants. Even the ancient Celts had belt loops and belts..and if you really want it to be drawstring, it still works..although made right one doesn't even need those.

Given buttons, buttonholes, suspenders, proper shirts, waistcoats and coats are known in Middle Earth, modifying these is not a stretch, in my opinion.

Some muted embroidery on the blouse, even the vest, perhaps some subtle beading or painting of designs on leather goods...these can all help with feminine distinction.

Just some ideas.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

since I'm currently reading the Robert Jordan series the character Min wears form fitting pants with a form fitting coat cut to the hips with plenty of knives. I know that the different salvatore books have ranger type women, and I believe the go into some detail about outfits but Ill try to check for sure.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

That's Judi Trott as Lady Marion, Chris, and that is one of several outfits that she wears. Here's some more pics:

I bow to Eledhwen on this matter; I think a Dunedain woman would adapt what she is wearing for her enviroment, so maybe leggings under a split skirt, or just a long tunic. Is your wife planning to join and give voice to the Dunedaneth?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Eric, have your Lady peruse this site: http://www.cottesimple.com/

It is for the fitting of a cotehardie dress. Yes, it's 14th/15th century but the method of fitting is useful. Scroll down to the 'Building the Feminine Silhouette' portion; it contains a step by step photo how-to on the fitting of such a dress.

She may not wish a dress of this kind. I refer her to this in part because a vest can be made the same way, once a pattern is derived, and like the dress, it will support her charms as well as any bra, just as the dress did.

Of course, she can wear a bra if she likes; some gals do. It is simply an option...and for any kind of dress, even a shorter one, say just below knee length, this one is most assuredly feminine in form.

Just a suggestion. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

Thanks for the ideas! We'll see what we can work out.

As regards to joining the forum and giving voice, when asked my wife said "We'll see" and "It's possible." She's not a frequenter of forums and Internet discussion, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."