New commission pics

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

New commission pics

Post by Ringulf »

It has been a while since I have reported on some of the projects I have been working on.

I have recently finished quite a few projects and commissions as they needed to be finished by fall Coronation, which was this last weekend.

After giving Ormbani and it's sheath to the King at TMT, I got a few requests for leather work and some weapon modification,

I made a number of my blade down seax sheaths one for three 12" seax throwers for the gentleman that is handing over the Kingdom Thrown Weapons officer position to me. He commissioned the blades but I made him the sheath as a thank you. It looks the same as the normal sheath but has an additional folded silluette inside that holds the center blade and makes a wall between the outer two,which is sewn down the strait bottom. The holes used to hold the cord that hangs the sheath are reinforced by a double fold of copper strapping tape and sewn into the dorsal plate atop the sheath.

I also made a single for one of the mentors I made the mentor blades for at the Ranger Moot.

That same gentleman asked me to make some modifications to his Cold Steel Khukri that he wanted as a smachet type utility knife.
To this I cut and shaped a tang drilling three holes for the pins and taking the black finish off leaving the knife "bright". I was also asked to make polymer clay knife scales for the handle which I made in a rustic wood grain pattern.

I then got a bug up my buttocks to make him a sheath that would look and work better after the modification.

The last commission was two fold, a sword scabbard for an inexpensive Strider replica for court for the King's huntsman with a matching sheath for his dagger.

There are pics of the dagger but I will have to model the sword scabbard when I get some pictures back of it as I neglected to take them of the finished product.

I made a few other weapons, the prize axe for the Thrown Weapons Competition at Coronation and my own tsikourian pair. (which I will put in the axe war hammer thread.)

[imghttp://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac217/HaakonsonArmory/DSCF8286.jpg][/img]ImageImageImage

Fun stuff lotsa work but very satisfying and educational. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: New commission pics

Post by Greg »

Several of those scabbards are exquisite.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

The bottom-most knife in the top picture is absolutely exquisite! And the sheath for it with the leaf-shaped cut-outs is superb! Well done!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

LOVE that leather work! You did an awesome job, dwarf! :)

:)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice jobs !
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Manveruon wrote:The bottom-most knife in the top picture is absolutely exquisite! And the sheath for it with the leaf-shaped cut-outs is superb! Well done!
He really does do excellent work, doesn't he?
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

Amazing job! I love all of them! How do you get started on stuff like this? I'm very interested in learning how to make knives!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

I'm loving the sheath with the leaf shaped cutouts. I'm curious about how you were able to stitch it on the straight side of the sheath. Luckily for me when it came time to make my saxe sheath the blade is on the straight edge, so I had to stitch on the curved side, but I would like the look of the stitching on the straight edge better. But I've never been able to determine how it's done without wrinkling the leather on the curved side. How did you do that? If it's a trade secret feel free to keep it so.
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Nemo of Calh wrote:I'm loving the sheath with the leaf shaped cutouts. I'm curious about how you were able to stitch it on the straight side of the sheath. Luckily for me when it came time to make my saxe sheath the blade is on the straight edge, so I had to stitch on the curved side, but I would like the look of the stitching on the straight edge better. But I've never been able to determine how it's done without wrinkling the leather on the curved side. How did you do that? If it's a trade secret feel free to keep it so.
Nemo, It is a water bending technique that is aided by the fact that the cutout itself takes out most of the area that would have wrinkled. Even so, the technique can be used without the cut out.
BTW I am not the typical dwarf as I don't believe in well guarded trade secrets, I will show anyone anything they would like to know. (especially in this group).

If someone learns something from me, then puts the time and passion in to surpass my work, I am very happy, as I can say that I have propagated my art and there is the proof.
I challenge anyone I teach do do it better than I do, for it gives me great joy!

But to get back to it, I used two layers of 3-4 oz leather to make the sheath, the inside is sewn on the sides of two blade profiles with a quarter inch added for the seem stitch. then after tracing the leaf pattern on the two outside edges I folded and water bent the 2nd layer so it stitched at the spine of the knife putting the blade in the fold. I trim the top edges close so I can put a rolling stitch on them and sock them up tight to each other and they come out rather well.

Putting a thin layer of glue between the two layers while they are damp also makes a nice hard sheath when it all dries.
I found out the hard way however, to inject the interior while drying out, with some form of displacing and lubricating oil if you plan on letting it form fit to your intended blade.
:mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

You're getting really great at that wood grain pattern, Ringulf.

As a side-note, there needs to be a Central Florida moot one of these days!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Everything looks great
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to make a sheath like that soon. I need a knife to make the sheath for, first, though.

Also, did you include any closeups of the sheath for the hawk you have in the overall picture? It looks like it might be a good method for me to use on mine, since I just have it stuck through a ring on my belt and the blade can still hurt me if I move wrong.

I also really need to make a sheath like the one on the kukri, too. With your pictures, I think I can figure it out. I think what I'm best at with leatherworking is coming up with a pattern for gadgets based on pictures of how they're used. The actual execution I'm still working on. . .
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Pictures of the axe sheath are on this link Nemo, it was a little before you signed on.

http://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.or ... axe+sheath

If you want some description beyond what is in the thread please don't hesitate to ask. :mrgreen:
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

You could make a living selling that on-line, great job.
Last edited by robinhoodsghost on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I admire your skill, the oak leaf scabbard is an outstanding design.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.