Blade Advice

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Blade Advice

Post by Faolan »

Not sure if this was the correct thread to put this in but. . . . I'm looking to purchase a new sword and was looking at the River Witham sword on the Kult of Athena website,

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~ite ... +Sword.htm

I was looking for others opinions on this blade and also the manufacturer. My current blade is a Windlass Steel Guardian Sword with the matching dagger. I was thinking the CAS Iberia sword might be a little better quality and the price is within my budget.

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Panday
Wanderer

Post by Panday »

That looks like a nice blade.

Does anyone know what +NDXOXCHMDRCHDXORVI+ means?
"The world is grown so bad, that wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch."
-Shakespeare, Richard III
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Panday wrote:That looks like a nice blade.

Does anyone know what +NDXOXCHMDRCHDXORVI+ means?
I don't think there is a translation, it is probably an abbreviation of a Latin phrase. it is a nice blade and I did check the Museum Replicas site, which now allows customers to review their purchases. The sword is not on the site anymore, but I am sure it is a good buy! Good luck!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Another windlass blade that's a fair bit shorter that I've been looking at for awhile on that site is their Swiss Baselard:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~ite ... selard.htm

The scabbard-mounted Utility knife and skewer caught my eye as especially useful, while it maintains the shorter length I'm fond of. I just wish I could find some online reviews. No luck so far.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

I like it, looks good. I personally like the hand and a half swords but if I picked a one handed that could be it.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

It's a pretty nice looking blade for the money. Wether it's good or not depends on what your using it for. If your just doing some light handling then it's fine. I wouldn't rely on a windlass for heavy training and especially not cutting. The temper is pretty shabby and not very consistent and they tend to loosen up at the thread. If your planning on cutting I'd go for a Hanwei or the new Valiant Amoury Signature line. I've cut with both and they've held up great next to my A&A's and Albions. As far as blunts go, the bang for the buck factor goes to A&A hands down with there Spada da Zogho,Training Grade for $360. reference I have a Hanwei Side sword and a Signature Castile. All in all I'd save my bucks and get the best blade I could. Your far better served with one really good blade then three or four cheap ones. If you think about it an average Albion will cost you as much as three or four Windlass anyway and will last a whole lot longer. If you divide the cost with the amount of use you'll get out of it it comes out cheaper in the long run to save up and buy quality.
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

For looks Windlass has it all over CAS. I 've only had a couple of CAS and I didn't like any of them. Windlass is a fine production sword and they certainly have something everyone will like. I''ve owned at least 15 and handled my brother's (an addtional 10 or so). I currently have three, two of which are keepers( the other is a cavalry sabre and not suitable for jaunts in the woods).

If I was to pick something in the price range as the Witham, I'd go with the Windlass Cinqueda.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

My favorite sword, of the many that I have, is an old DelTin version of Glamdring...a single handed sword. I got that one in..oh, the 80's I guess. I have the blade for Orcrist but I am not at this time able to make the guard and pommel that DelTin originally had designed for it. Have to get out of the apartment for that.

Before I was here I was able to work my forge; my 'Dúnedain' knife I made myself, what I call a long knife. But at the moment it is all packed away until circumstance allows me to set it up again.

I like the Swiss shortsword there; very nice that one. For myself I prefer single handed weapons.

Siani
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Siani wrote:My favorite sword, of the many that I have, is an old DelTin version of Glamdring...a single handed sword.

Siani
I have seen that sword on Ebay and in some of my wife's old Museum Replicas catalogs, very nice sword, and unique! Very cool!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Gareth

Re: Blade Advice

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

Ok, so what would the recommendation be for an actual, usable blade, for when we all jump in the handbasket and the zombies attack. I also have one of Cold Steel's English Horseman's Basket-hilted broadswords. It is very sharp, has a decent temper but style-wise is not a Ranger blade.

Should I continue saving my money and get an Albion sword or equivalent?

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Probably your best route; if you can only get one for whatever reason, make sure it is a good one. If and when the zombies come you want something dependable.

Siani
Nandalad!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Siani wrote:Probably your best route; if you can only get one for whatever reason, make sure it is a good one. If and when the zombies come you want something dependable.
Agreed.

I must admit, though...all of those false-edged swords my friends have collected over the years are gonna be REALLY handy as clubs...

But yeah, she's right. Buy something you trust to last you for years.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

So maybe something along these lines?

http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christ ... stile.html
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

It warms my heart to know that I am not the only one who is ready for the coming zombie apocalypse :D