NC Ren Fest

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Eric C
Vendor

NC Ren Fest

Post by Eric C »

Okay, so after much waffling in our decision, we finally determined that we are going to the NC Ren Fest this year. We are shooting to be there next Saturday, opening weekend. We need a getaway even if it's just for a day or so. We just had a MAJOR bathroom renovation thrust upon us when I discovered old water damage and rotten joists under the bathtub. So, we'll be broke, but we'll be there in kit and representing the rangers. Is anyone else planning to go next weekend?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: NC Ren Fest

Post by Mirimaran »

We will be there as well! Remember, it's 2 for 20 with coupon opening weekend! I think you can run off the coupon online and I will be checking the paper tomorrow for coupons as well. Keeping a wary eye on the weather! Usually we wait to wear garb a little later in the season, but if you are garbing, then I will too! Also, we have a new Highland Games locally (like 5 miles away lol) that is the first weekend in November.

Keep us updated!

Ken

7 day weather forecast!

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/H ... e+NC+28078
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That's great! I'm having a little trouble getting to sites with the coupon. Probably a symptom of my computer idiocy. :roll: Could you PM me a link? Also, we don't have a cell phone at the moment, so if you want to set up a prearranged meeting place, that would be good.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Here's the link for the 2 for 20:

http://valpak.com/coupons/savings/Enter ... avel/28209

If you can't find it, let me know. I am getting the paper tomorrow and if there is anything in there you can use I will be sure to save it. We usually get there around 930, depending on traffic and the morons at the DOT (they closed the one bridge they should not have one opening weekend, lots of screaming!) We can meet at the statue, you can't miss it lol and if you change your mind about garb let me know! :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, will do! I just printed it off. I'll get to show off the new scabbard I've made for my Clontarf. I'll be posting pics here too once I get the strap made.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Myself and our youngest are hoping to go at some point. But definately won't be next weekend. Probably won't be able to go untill November.

Erich is in TX so he can't go at all. grrrrrr
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Eric and all, ok, still trying for Saturday here but both of us have a stomach bug at the moment. We will try to meet you guys at the statue at the front of the faire. If we aren't there by 10 we might not be there at all, and unless we are feeling better if we do make it won't probably be in garb. Ugh, hope things are better with you guys!

Ken
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

WELL!, I came home from work early today after having the eye doctor remove a piece of steel from my eye. It's healing up though...I hope. We're still planning to be in garb. Hope all works out and y'all get to feeling better.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Hopefully no permanent damage. Get well and have a blast at the Faire.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks Pete,
I'm on an antibiotic to avoid a potentially blinding infection. Just a precaution really. The Doc said there is a crater where the steel was and until it heals, I need to be on the antibiotic. Um... Hey Pete, are you and yours busy this weekend? I'm sure the NCRF could hold a few more rangers. :lol: That would be a bit of a trip.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hey Ken, thought I'd ask this here as it would help anyone else who plans to attend the NCRF at some point. How about weaponry? I know blades are welcome if they are peace-tied. But is there an age limit on who can carry a blade. Matt has his sword but he is 13. Reta will be carrying a Starfire Forge piece. Also, bows and arrows. What is the policy on them?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Eric C wrote:Hey Ken, thought I'd ask this here as it would help anyone else who plans to attend the NCRF at some point. How about weaponry? I know blades are welcome if they are peace-tied. But is there an age limit on who can carry a blade. Matt has his sword but he is 13. Reta will be carrying a Starfire Forge piece. Also, bows and arrows. What is the policy on them?
All local and state laws apply. Personally, I carry dummy arrows when I go to faire, which are blunt and in my case they are glued to wood so that there is no chance they can be used, and I don't have a bowstring. I know the Starfire's are blunts, so that might be ok. They do sell wooden swords there so that might make a better alternative to any live steel Matt might have just in case. There will be a police officer there to peace tie and I am sure they will tell you to take anything they consider inappropriate back to the car. The last time I went in garb with weapons they told folks that if anything was drawn that had an edge, it was immediately confiscated. What time you guys leaving?

Ken
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Matt has the short sword in this thread: http://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.or ... ?f=2&t=689 . He also has a wooden sword. He won't be AS happy carrying it, but at least he will have something as an alternative. We'll take both. I am nowhere near finished with my quiver, so I'll leave the bow at home this time.

We're looking at leaving around 4 AM. I want to give us plenty of time to stop for breakfast and get there in time for the opening of the gate. So, bedtime will be soon.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

My 14 year old (at the time) had no issues with being allowed to carry. As long as the parents are with them and the blades are scabbarded and peace bonded, there should be no issues. I don't generally carry bows to the faire. Hope you guys have fun.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

E.MacKermak wrote:My 14 year old (at the time) had no issues with being allowed to carry. As long as the parents are with them and the blades are scabbarded and peace bonded, there should be no issues. I don't generally carry bows to the faire. Hope you guys have fun.
Thanks Erich. Wish y'all could be there!