Native American inspired quiver and strike-a-light bag

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Native American inspired quiver and strike-a-light bag

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

Well, over on the FB forum I posted pics of my strike-a-light bag, but I will post them here as well, along with pics of my quiver. I am still looking for a bow to go along with it, and plan to make some arrows that will be a little shorter than the ones shown.

the leather came from a scrap bag from Michael's, as did the embellishments. I had a good scrap piece that I sewed on as a rain flap, treated the leather with mink oil as well. The button is wood and there is a small pocket inside as well as a nice roomy interior. My firekit came from a sutler at the Highland Games and fits very nicely and stays secure. I keep meaning to remove those trace marks lol the button hole was a hole that was already in the scrap leather, so I gave it purpose lol

This quiver came from a pattern I found online, and then tweaked some for my purposes. The leather for the quiver, strap, and large pouch came from the brown sheepskin that was provided by Peter as a prize in our photo contest last year. I think it worked nicely, shaped beautifully and I would use it again. Thanks again, Peter! The strap accent was crocheted by my wife from thin wool thread we bought from Sportman's Guide and I sewed it on the straps.

The larger pouch is holding a place for when I get a new bow, and then that is where the bow bag will go, with the pouch suspended from it. The rods holding the pouch now are capped with two wood beads which this bored Ranger carved over a couple of weekends. The pouch has a pocket on the inside flap, and two pockets inside. The larger firepouch is of heavier leather, and I will probably replace it with the strike-a-light above, as it matches the knife, which suspends from the strap. All in all, a fun project, and when I get a bow for it, I will have to take more pics! Thanks for looking!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Native American inspired quiver and strike-a-light bag

Post by Eledhwen »

Good stuff, brother. I have been leaning toward a Native American style quiver myself. My elder son has one already and I am liking it. It also plays nicely with the blanket roll, which you know I tend to favor. I have my needs wallet at the back of the belt, wear a good 'possibles' bag, and one other pouch which is wearable either over the shoulder or on the belt. In my constant efforts to minimize my weight and kit, I am finding that mixing the Longhunter and Native American in some ways works well. Rangers are Rangers, in the end.

I like the bead work. Pearls along the edge...I adore pearls...my favorite gem. Good idea, although my Ranger kit has no decoration at all other than worked designs in the leather itself.

Great job!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I added a quiver cup to the kit. I had no idea what a quiver cup was until I read the article I posted in another thread. It is made of rawhide (dog chew) and slides down to the bottom of the quiver. It was usually filled with tinder and that also helped keep the arrowheads from rattling, and kept the tinder dry. I sealed mine with shellac, and topped with a repurposed carved dowel top, which will have a beaded pull threaded through it. The actual purpose of the cup was for the archer to be able to pull up his sheaf of arrows and select which one he needed, and then push the lot back down, as most of the plains quivers usually accepted the arrows to their notches. Please excuse my crappy arrows. This quiver was made for arrows around 20 inches, as I was expecting a bow that had a draw of around 20 inches. Still waiting lol

"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Excellent work, brother!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Beautiful work I wanted to comment further on the FB site but I have been on the move!

I am understanding by the orientation of all of the acutriments that the quiver sits across the lower back and you draw with your left hand, is that correct?
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ringulf wrote:Beautiful work I wanted to comment further on the FB site but I have been on the move!

I am understanding by the orientation of all of the acutriments that the quiver sits across the lower back and you draw with your left hand, is that correct?
Basically, Ringulf. Usually the archer would have an arrow or two already drawn and in his bow hand. When kneeling, the quiver can be pulled over into the lap and arrows drawn out by the right hand fairly comfortably. When travelling through brush the quiver can be pulled to the hip and held tight.

Ken
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

great work as always.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"