Preview and new tradition starting

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Preview and new tradition starting

Post by Eric C »

Hey folks. Here's a pic of the latest nearly finished project from my forge:

It's not the best pic, but that's okay for now. It's just a teaser to generate interest anyway.

This blade also marks the beginning of a new tradition here at the Forge. This is the first annual entry in the Ichthean Forge Christmas Blade project. The idea is to start as early in the year as possible with research and development (I've already started on the 2013 entry). Come up with the concept drawings, wooden mock-ups and so forth. Then the forging begins. The idea is to challenge my personal limits and to come up with something interesting to the audience. The project will be for top secret clearance only :P . That way everyone will see it for the first time together. It may be as small as a paring knife or as large as a two-hander. Each year, you'll have to wait and see. Pricing will be in accordance with the type of blade. So if you want to be prepared for the next project, start saving as early as possible. You may have enough money to pay for the project as well as buy Christmas for the whole family, or the project may take every penny you saved. Kind of luck of the draw I guess. Hoping to get some good participation and maybe rebuild a fan-base after a truly terrible year in the forge.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Preview and new tradition starting

Post by Peter Remling »

Sounds like a plan!

Two questions on this new one, first is it going tohave a similar pomel to your sister series knives ? and second, from the reflection it appears to be hollow ground, is it ?
Eric C
Vendor

Re: Preview and new tradition starting

Post by Eric C »

No and no. The reflection is pretty bad though. Okay, maybe the pommel is going to be similar to the Sisters. It will mostly be a buttcap. The alloy won't be good for hammering though as it is fairly soft.

Little information on this one:
OAL: 10 1/2"
Blade length: 5 5/8"
Blade width: 1 3/8 at widest point
Handle material: Mahogany
Bolster and buttcap: Cast in place silver-bearing alloy.
Forged from saw steel as usual. Flat or maybe slightly convex grind on the blade. More to come as I continue the project.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.